It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Truck-load of Marijuana Abandoned on California Highway

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Truck-load of Marijuana Abandoned on California Highway

news.bbc.co.uk

An abandoned consignment of marijuana with a street value of $20m (£10.3m) was found in California when a policeman went to check on a lorry.
The vehicle was unlocked and the engine warm, but no-one was in the cab.

The patrolman found plastic-wrapped bundles of the drug in the back of the rental vehicle near Los Angeles after smelling marijuana, AP said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Court Rules Burning Pot Smell Does Not Justify Police Entry

[edit to change 'Lorry' for 'Truck']
[edit on 11-3-2007 by khunmoon]

[edit on 12-3-2007 by khunmoon]

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 10:08 PM
link   
This IS weird!!!

Who leaves a truck load worth $20 million on the highway?

The story doesn't say the actual amount, only its street value. How much is that in pounds?
No idea of US street prices these days. In Europe that value would be 2+tonnes.

Please notice, the cops sense of smell lead him to it. Referring to a current hot topic.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 11-3-2007 by khunmoon]

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 10:21 PM
link   
depending on quality and amout purchased at a time...if each individual lb goes for its street value approx $2500, then its around 8000 lbs.

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 10:43 PM
link   
you boys in britain are getting ripped off if your paying that much per pound.

makes sense, probably difficult to grow or import.

thats about 7 tons worth on the US market and even that is pretty high, thats the price where everybody involved a makes a buck.
Id hate to live in britain.

Oh and heres a bad thing, even the damn drug dealers are using metric.

[edit on 11-3-2007 by XphilesPhan]

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Wow, three tons!
I like the last paragraph of the article.

A recent report estimates that despite intensive eradication plans, $35bn worth of the marijuana a year is produced in the US, making it the country's top cash crop.

Did you catch that?
The country's top cash crop.
Any wonder why they keep it illeagal?
If the average smoker could grow their own instead of having a vegetable garden, then the guys controling the flow would be cut out of the loop of 'the country's top cash crop'.

Help me deny my ignorance, whats a lorry?
I assume it is a truck of some sorts, but I have never heard the term lorry.

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 11:08 PM
link   
In English a truck is called a lorry. In school we are taught English, on the net we learn American.

Anyway about the endless applications for hemp and the true story why is was banned, goto this site.

www.illuminati-news.com...

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Im sorry but could you provide exact co-ordinates.
IF you cant reach me, ill probably be in transit... but be sure to email me.
The less time wasted getting there the better

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Here you've got'm >> Coordinates: 34°03′10″N, 117°37′40″W
City of Ontario CA
10% as usual.

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Dear [removed]

Please authorise my immediate 7 day sick leave, as I need to visit my aunt in California.

Regards,

[removed]

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Here's a few facts from the illumati-news.com link.
The Marijuana Conspiracy - The Real Reason Hemp is Illegal

* In 1916, the U.S. Government predicted that by the 1940s all paper would come from hemp and that no more trees need to be cut down. Government studies report that 1 acre of hemp equals 4.1 acres of trees. Plans were in the works to implement such programs; Department of Agriculture

* Quality paints and varnishes were made from hemp seed oil until 1937. 58,000 tons of hemp seeds were used in America for paint products in 1935; Sherman Williams Paint Co. testimony before Congress against the 1937 Marijuana Tax Act.

* Henry Ford's first Model-T was built to run on hemp gasoline and the CAR ITSELF WAS CONTRUCTED FROM HEMP! On his large estate, Ford was photographed among his hemp fields. The car, 'grown from the soil,' had hemp plastic panels whose impact strength was 10 times stronger than steel; Popular Mechanics, 1941.

* Hemp called 'Billion Dollar Crop.' It was the first time a cash crop had a business potential to exceed a billion dollars; Popular Mechanics, Feb., 1938.

Why then did it never get there... legally?

Because of William Randolph Hearst, the media tycoon, who also owned the Hearst Paper Manufacturing Division of Kimberly Clark and vast acreage of timberlands. The Hearst Company supplied most paper products and stood to lose billions because of hemp.

Citizen Kane was Hearst, the actual model for Orson Welles classic movie. He created 'yellow journalism' and used his news corporation to discredit the innocent herb by publishing horror stories about it, and his influence in Hollywood resulted in propaganda movies like 'Reefer Madness' (1936), 'Marihuana: Assassin of Youth' (1935) and 'Marihuana: The Devil's Weed' (1936).

Hearst's newspapers ran stories emphasizing the horrors of marijuana. The menace of 'marihuana' made headlines. Readers learned that it was responsible for everything from car accidents to loose morality.

All done by a weed called "marihuana", a word he didn't exactly coin, but promoted to distort the fact it was nothing but the good ol' hemp, the wonder-plant promoted by US governments for decades.

In fact the ignorance was so great that when the American Medical Association in 1937 testified to the House Committee in favour of passing the Prohibitive Marihuana Tax Law they didn't knew it in fact was the medical herb, known for its hundreds application, revered since Hippocrates, they testified against. The AMA understood cannabis to be a MEDICINE found in numerous healing products sold over the last hundred years. Too late they learned it was the same herb that had been demonized as MARIJUANA.

Also in 1937, Dupont patented the processes to make plastics from oil and coal. Synthetics such as plastics, cellophane, celluloid, methanol, nylon, rayon, Dacron, etc. Natural hemp industrialization would have ruined over 80% of Dupont's business.

Congress banned hemp because it was said to be the most violence-causing drug known. Harry J. Anslinger was appointed head of the Drug Commission and was the drug-czar for 3 decades, persistently promoting the idea that marijuana made users act extremely violent.

Today, our planet is in desperate trouble. Earth is suffocating as large tracts of rain forests disappear. Pollution, poisons and chemicals are killing people. These great problems could be reversed if we industrialized hemp. Natural biomass could provide all of the planet's energy needs that are currently supplied by fossil fuels. We have consumed 80% of our oil and gas reserves. We need a renewable resource. Hemp could be the solution to soaring gas prices.

Today the propeganda scam is wellknown and regonized as such, beside the medical and enviromental properties being throughly documented.

Question is, why don't we do it then? Legalize it.

[edit on 12-3-2007 by khunmoon]

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 11:47 AM
link   
You have voted khunmoon for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have two more votes this month.

Yep, that's the story all right. Money talks, hemp walks, America gets screwed.

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Now if you could find an abandoned truckload of chocolate chip cookies. Life...would be perfect.

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 02:45 PM
link   
from the posts on the topic,
i was wondering if this was found in Canada (the Ontario city name)
or Britain (with all the Lorry & the cost differences noted)
or USA

the article said California in one place,
then said Ontario city in another place,

so MapQuest was my next stop, viola',
although i can't see a 'side road' anywheres, i deduce that the
abandoned vehicle carried the 3 tons of weed (from news text)
abandoned from an overheated engine (from news text)

of interest;
there's an airport right there in Ontario city
the driver likely didn't have a cell phone to alleviate the predicament they were caught in.
an abandoned vehicle is given a cusory inspection normally,
it wasn't the smell of Pot that caused the officers to suddenly alter their
patrol duty and intrude the vehicle to discover the stash of bagged/baled Pot.

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Damn, that's my shipment, heads are gonna

I have to redeem my one-liner by saying marijuana is less of a gateway drug than alcohol. Alcohol completely shuts down the frontal lobes. It's a highly addicting drug physically. Chronic alcoholics die in detox more often than coc aine or heroin addicts, the physical withdrawl is so difficult.
Alcoholism is a genetic disease. Of those with a pre-disposition, many will succumb. Alcohol use in moderation is not a choice for some people, but it's the legal drug.
I don't advocate drug use, but recreational drug use is part of the human condition. Drug criminalization laws always come about as a means of preventing an underclass from acquiring wealth. The first drug laws in Canada outlawed the Chinese opium trade that was making the rail slaves richer than their masters.

[edit on 12-3-2007 by clearwater]

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 03:02 PM
link   
xphiles,

That price sounds about right, assuming a fairly high quality yield. Anyway, back on topic.

Why is it that the police found this truck and not me, or a friend? Why is it that it's always the cops.

Mine Mine Mine!!!

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 03:59 PM
link   
(DROOLING) I can still dream...

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 04:54 PM
link   
*Cartman voice* - "God damn it!!!!"

Now, instead of me smoking, er...disposing of this plant material, the cops get to smoke, er, dispose of this plant material.

Ah, nuts. I would have gone Blue Bell with that find (smoke all you can, then sell the rest).

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by XphilesPhan
you boys in britain are getting ripped off if your paying that much per pound.

makes sense, probably difficult to grow or import.

thats about 7 tons worth on the US market and even that is pretty high, thats the price where everybody involved a makes a buck.
Id hate to live in britain.

Oh and heres a bad thing, even the damn drug dealers are using metric.

[edit on 11-3-2007 by XphilesPhan]

In the UK it costs £20 for 3.5g. Then costs £100-120 for an ounce(28g).
I havn't smoked skunk for a few years though, as i'm in the army.

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 05:23 PM
link   

£20 for 3.5g

IF yer lucky, there seems to be a growing trend.... (EDIT: didn't realise that pun there,amazing what happens to the words you chose when think about things
).... with them being called "£20 bags".....with ABIT less than 3.5g, more like 2.8g.....but thats SE london for yer

I wonder what happened to whoever's truck/lorry it was?

I can't help feeling that maybe (s)he stop of for a smoke in a bush somewhere, or REALLY needed a piss.......

I have visions of them peering around the bush, blurry eyed and pulling up thier trousers/pants, looking at the cops thinking.. "aaAAAAAaaww S**&%$!!!!!!"

[edit on 12-3-2007 by Anomic of Nihilism]

[edit on 12-3-2007 by Anomic of Nihilism]

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420

Why is it that the police found this truck and not me, or a friend? Why is it that it's always the cops.

Mine Mine Mine!!!

And if you found it what would you do with it!? As soon as you touch it the cops would bust your ass and think it was all yours!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join