It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Online Social Networking Comes To AboveTopSecret.com

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Today we're finally launching a much anticipated new feature for ATS that has been the one lacking item in our long list of free member services, integrated social networking. All members -- regardless of status, post-count, or term of membership -- are assigned a new extended profile with features similar to the popular "MySpace", but refined with a few unique features for AboveTopSecret.com

By now, you'll notice that two links, your mini-profile username and your "user profile" link, both direct people to your new profile page. Here's mine as an example: SkepticOverlord.

This new feature is a combination of your user profile, buddy list, mini-blog, posts, and more, all on a new infusion of dark-matter steroids.

The new profile displays a number of things:

Your avatar and profile background image or color is your identifying feature in your new extended profile.

Your Three Most Recent Threads

The three threads you most recent authored are featured prominently front-and-center. This helps ATS members and visitors get a feel for what you're thinking about lately.

Your Favorite Threads

Just below your three recent threads, you can define three of your all-time favorite threads on ATS, BTS, or AbovePolitics. This will further help members and visitors understand what's important to you.

More of Your Threads

And if that wasn't enough, we also display the headlines of the either other recent threads you've authored.

Threads You Flagged

And if all that wasn't enough to help members and visitors understand what topics you like, your most recently flagged threads are also shown for added flavoring.

Your Recent Podcasts

And if you're a podcaster, we're also showing your most recent podcasts, with direct links to launch our podcast player.

Your Likes and Dislikes

You can further define your favorite and least-favorite topics on ATS, BTS, or AbovePolitics, and also the things you like in real-life, off the board (we expect these sections to mostly remain blank).

Your Favorite Web Sites

Is it possible that there are other websites other than ATS, BTS, or AbovePolitics? We hear about them once in a while, give us a list of the good ones you've heard about.

And, most interesting of all... a revamped approach at a "buddy list"...

Define Your Friends

Use the new system to define your list of friends on ATS, BTS, or AbovePolitics. These are the members you've come to know and appreciate in your time on our websites. Your friends are displayed, as well as a list of users that have defined you as their friend.

Define Your Respected Foes

Who can possibly travel down the path of "denying ignorance" without respected adversaries who challenge you to think harder, sharper, and better? You can also define your list of "Respected Foes" that represents members who disagree with you, but whose disagreements continually give you intellectual challenges.

Friends And Foes Shown In Threads

Your friends and respected foes are indicated within their mini-profile next to their posts, so you can easily be reminded of them as you read threads.

Assign Friends And Foes From a Thread

You can assign friend or foe status to any unassigned member from within a thread. Just click the "FRIEND" or "FOE" button just below their post and signature.

And finally...

Running Comments

If anything hasn't been covered in all of that, you can initiate a commentary section that is essentially a Blog-Lite that provides a thread-like comments log. All standard BBcode is supported, including embedding Google and YouTube videos.

More fine tuning and additional features will be added over the next few days and weeks... but for now... enjoy!

(revised post)

[edit on 13-3-2007 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Nice! I just noticed it and tried to open my comment thing. After posting my first it was still closed..

I'm guessing it takes a while for it to start?

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 07:15 PM
link   
I like this idea, and a good layout to boot.....well done SO......

[edit on 11-3-2007 by Koka]

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 07:16 PM
link   
JackofBlades, try again... slight bug.

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 07:17 PM
link   
While it's an interesting idea it does have the potential to be mis-used. It could provide some very interesting profiling for certain government agencies.

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Ohh, that's awesome! Nice idea.
It even lists recent threads I flagged? Handy.

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Woohoo! Fixed!

What's the 'foes' section for? Is that people you have on Ignore?
And would it be possible for us to change the colour of the buttons background to blend with our own?

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 07:24 PM
link   
A little confused....where do we "input" our profile info?

I went to the member center and didn't see any prompt for it.........

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Yeah SO, can't you change the background to match my avatar. It matches here in "Dark" mode.....I'll put you on my friends list.....

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Wow! I like this. When I read the title of the thread, I was thrown for a loop. Wasn't really sure it was referring to. But this is, without a doubt, a great addition to a tremendous site.

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Hey he changed it!

Thanks SO. Of all the ruthless, tyrannical, overlords throughout history.... you gotta be the nicest!

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 07:34 PM
link   
I've noticed that the link has changed. Looks much better.

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Awesome Idea, I love it. However it seems like I can't access or find the way to edit my profile. I am sure its either part of the tweeking or I am just lost and will find it soon enough.

Great stuff I love that my podcasts are hooked up allong the sides there. Great stuff.

As usual ATS strives to make a great site even better

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 07:46 PM
link   
That's so cool SO! I'm thinking this is going to be an awesome personal improvement for all of us

I can hardly wait to check it all out when you get it done

Edit* type o

[edit on 3/11/2007 by jensouth31]

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Skeptic nice one
you three seem to supprise me everytime coming out with new ideas and so on

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
I can't access or find the way to edit my profile.

Click this on the lower left-side:

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

Originally posted by whatukno
I can't access or find the way to edit my profile.

Click this on the lower left-side:

Woo Hoo!

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Nice ideas SkepticOverlord.

One thing though, you notice it doesn't show an accurate depiction of my avatar?

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 07:57 PM
link   
I tried to update the info and it brought up a weird green profile that is not mine. This happen to anyone else? The profile shows registered dec 31 1969; and shows last visit dec 31,1969.

[edit on 11/3/2007 by shooterbrody]

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Yeah, I can't edit my profile either.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join