It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your Mind Can't Make its own reality!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth

Originally posted by wellwhatnow
Fascinating, yes. However, I didn't buy it when I studied Descartes,

You just said a bad word... Descartes
I abhor Cartesian philosophy. I think it represents all things wrong with the world today. Gross materialism.

not to mention duality and dualistic thinking and reasoning.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Those three post show why I rarely weigh in on philosophical topics on ATS. This is the first time I've heard it flat out said but I've seen it all along. Wow. I lost more faith in humanity today.

Descartes = Gross Materialism? Huh? What? I'm impressed, somehow you took the almost the exact opposite meaning from his writings that I think he intended to convey.

I'm feel sorry for anyone who actually believes they can truely know anything outside of themselves.

Vas

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Azoth...

Really? Here are some of Descartes' concepts

Everything is either a machine or part of a machine. Gross materialism.

Studied Natural Science. Gross materialism

Dualism

Gross materiality. Need I say more? To say otherwise is intellectually dishonest.

[edit on 12-4-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Apr, 12 2007 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Who is the master who makes the grass green?

I would just like to throw in my bit about reality tunnles. Master Bob has taught me much about his subject. Threw researching my findings with Mr. Wilson I have found much of this to be quite enlightning.. What is normal? Can you define what is normal? There is a reward to anyone that can define or show what normal is. Reality is quite preverse, and holds no real bounds. Who is the master who makes the grass green?
Please take some time out to watch this video!
www.youtube.com...

You will find some answers about reality and just what you think it is. Everyone is trying to prove that their reality tunnle is the right way, or correct reality.. When after seeing all of this, I could say if reality tunnles could be bond together, the truth would come to light. But each lifeform has its own version of what reality is, equal to its space, size, and messure to the universe.. Who is the master who makes the grass green?
You and me

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Great video. I think we project our reality onto the outside world, but people have to remember that the outside worl doesn't directly hit you, its turned into electrical signals by sense organs and then sent to the brain for "interpretation"

posted on Apr, 18 2007 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Some of you people bring great points. But I agree that perception is reality. And everyone's perception is different.

Take the case with the glass half-full & half-empty. To me, if the glass was full to begin with & you're pouring out contents to get a half-full glass, then the glass is half-empty & vice versa. Then again...if you were to pour the contents into a smaller glass...it's perceived that there is more, when in fact, the surrounding is less. Hmm...

That's just my perception.
Touching on a point someone brought up..."The mind creates"...yes to a certain degree. Someone mentioned that we make creations in our dreams constantly.

I have to disagree with that. Mind is not greater than matter. Nor is matter greater than mind. They go hand in hand.

It's like trying to imagine a colour you've never seen before. You can't! Try dreaming of something that your mind cannot comprehend. It's impossible. We may twist & distort what we know to achieve something that differs, but never entirely new. Try making your own number. I'm sure you'll find it a challenging task. We dream what we know. We think what we know. It may not be exactly what we know, but it stems from what we, know.

Ya digg?

posted on Jun, 28 2008 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by sdrawkcab

but perception is either one of two states. being in the NOW and only focusing your senses on something, or thinking about things which is based on your beliefs and values.

so if we mean that reality is the perception of the senses (the state of seeing/hearing/tasing/feeling) that that is closer to the truth than saying reality is the perception/opinions/beliefs about the reality we experience.

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I don't know about the whole matrix idea but, I suggest you be careful with it. You might not have a good mind if you contemplate it for to long. As for creating reality and knowing what will happen in the future, well, I don't know about the differences between those either. I do know what I have experienced though. For me it seems as though I can tamper a bit with reality. I have never thought I could see the future or know the future, I just though I could alter it. I will think on the idea of knowing the future but so far my experience has been changing reality. It has been happening for oh, I don't know. The first insident I can remember was when I was five. It started happening more recently around my ninth year. I can't change it purposefully, I don't think.
It starts with my mood. It only every happens if I'm not in active thinking mood. Say, when my mind isn't challeged. I generally have some idea about how the human mind works so, I have normally something in my thoughts. I'm usually just mulling over something and then a thought will cross my mind and then it'll happen or if it is a question I'll get my answer. I don't know how long it takes, some times it's instantly sometimes it takes a day or two. All I know is that it happens.
I have had it happen to me intersperst over the years.
Now there are two things you can't convince me of, 1. That this is all a coinsidence. It's been happening to long. 2. I'm hallucinating. No I don't think I am, especially since I don't picture these things, I think them. Now I don't know many facts just experience but, for me I think it's a little like the book Matilda. Now I don't mean the plot but, if you read the end where Matilda "loses" her powers the explanation makes sense. Just something to think over.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join