It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Birth of Jesus

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2003 @ 12:33 PM
link   
On the birth of Jesus in the years near to his birth BC (Before Christ) and until he died AD (Anno Domini) How many years of a gap you it be between 1BC and 1AD?

This is basically like a maths sum -1 and +1 the only number left is 0 and i believe he was older than 1 years old what were the years called when Jesus was alive?

posted on Dec, 23 2003 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I think it's thought that he was actually born in what we call 34 AD, or maybe it was BC. There was no gap between BC and AD, though. That much I know.

Merry Christmas, keep the Christ in Christmas!

posted on Dec, 23 2003 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I was under the impression that Jesus was suppose to be born about 30 years before 1 AD and that his cruxifiction/rebirth was the start of AD. Anyone else think this or am I mixing up my stories?

posted on Dec, 23 2003 @ 12:38 PM
link   
30 years before 1AD would be 29BC if im not mistaken though

posted on Dec, 23 2003 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Actually the problem is that AD doesn't mean after death.

The term �AD� was created by a monk named Dionysius Exiguus in 525 AD. AD literally means �In the year of the Lord�.

It is the year that Jesus was born... not after his death.

The year is sometimes also called CE (for �Christian Era�, or �Common Era�).

So don't worry there aren't any missing years.

posted on Dec, 23 2003 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Thanks to howstuffworks.com

In the modern calendar, we label all years with B.C. (before Christ) or A.D. (anno domini, or "in the year of our lord"). There is no "zero" year -- the year Christ was born is 1 A.D., and the year preceding it is 1 B.C.
This practice was first suggested in the sixth century A.D., and was adopted by the pope of that time. It took quite a while for it to become a worldwide standard, however. Russia and Turkey, for example, did not convert to the modern calendar and year scheme until the 20th century.

One interesting side note: Because of a variety of changes and adjustments made to the calendar during the middle ages, it turns out that Jesus was most likely born in what we now think of as 6 B.C., and likely lived until 30 A.D..

posted on Dec, 23 2003 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Actually the problem is that AD doesn't mean after death.

The term �AD� was created by a monk named Dionysius Exiguus in 525 AD. AD literally means �In the year of the Lord�.

It is the year that Jesus was born... not after his death.

The year is sometimes also called CE (for �Christian Era�, or �Common Era�).

Bing bing bing!!!

I've also heard of AD being referred to as Ante Deluvian (or "after the flood"), but no, it is for anno domini..."year of our lord")

No gaps....and if there was to be a gap, it would be 29 years if I recall correctly, as he was 29 at the time he was crucified....(there may be some real biblical buffs who can clarify, but I think it's correct).

posted on Dec, 23 2003 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I thought he was 30 soething when crucified?

posted on Dec, 23 2003 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I'm just remembering that figure...it could be incorrect...

posted on Dec, 23 2003 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by HazardToxic
I thought he was 30 soething when crucified?

He was 33 when he was crucified. So it would make sense that he "died" in 34AD, since there was no 0AD.

posted on Dec, 23 2003 @ 01:28 PM
link   
So were in 2003 AD now?

posted on Dec, 23 2003 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by HazardToxic
So were in 2003 AD now?

What? Yeah, for the next 2 weeks....Why are you trying to confirm this?

posted on Dec, 23 2003 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Nothing, I jsut didnt quite understand it but now i do, Thanks

new topics

top topics

join