It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone look at the moon last night?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Around 4 in the morning, I looked out my window and the moon was beautiful. It was right next to Venus, which is also pretty bright at this time of year. Anyway, I decided to get out my binoculars to get a slightly closer look at the moon. I noticed an area on the dark side of the moon that was bright, the same color as the other half. It could just be a large crater, but I don't know.

Here's a little pic I made to show approximately what I'm talking about.
img.photobucket.com...

Did anyone else see that? Also, does anyone know what's the name of that bright sparkling star that's near Venus?

[edit on 11-3-2007 by Impreza]

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Actually I did, and I noticed the same as you as I remember standing and gawping at it for a while. And I've been noticing more and more odd activity up there recently.

I'm not sure what that star is called but I know exactly the one you mean; what do you feel the significance of it is?

Just thought I'd let you know you're not alone in seeing this!

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Ah, good, so I wasn't just seeing things.

I don't know if there is a significance in that star being in that position of the sky, I'm not very knowledgeable in astronomy. All I know is that it was sparkling with all kinds of colors. It was near the edge of the moon and should have appeared quite dim, but somehow it was shining almost as bright as Venus. I'm sure there's a good explanation for everything I've posted, hopefully someone will help me understand all of it.

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Well -- I'm an amateur star-gazer and I look up at the moon and stars almost every night that I can see them. I saw the moon last night (in fact through binoculars, since you could see the terminator and that's a good time to look at craters). I saw nothing out of the oridinary. What activity are you talking about. Can you be more specific?

And which star are you talking about. The moon was moving together with Jupiter last night. Maybe that's what you're talking about. Spica and the moon were together a few days ago (I think Wednesday night). Venus has bright and dazzling low in the western sky after sunset for the past couple of weeks, but the moon hasn't been anywhere near Venus for the past week or two.

Could you please provide some details about your specific observations?

[edit on 11-3-2007 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 03:11 PM
link   
i saw a red/blue star right above the moon what was it. never seen it their before. awesome ski last night.
people always laugh at me when i look up.

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I know here in the UK about 3am the moon was low and amazingly large, i stood there looking at it for ages thinking wow,
Also keep an eye on this site, they tend to report and happenings going on

www.spaceweather.com...

on a side note, theres an amazong photo took of the sun with earth in the background on that link 0-0

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Last night, the moon was basically right on top of the supergiant star "Antares". Antares is reddish and is one of the brightest stars in the sky. Some people confuse it with Mars since it is about the same color and lies on the ecliptic. Oddly enough Atares is a binary system, and it's companion star (Antares B) is blue-ish (and you described the star you saw as reddish-blue), but is impossible to see without a telescope, since Antares A is so bright. There are times when the moon is blocking Antares A, and Antares B can be visible with a telescope. Also Jupiter was to the moon's "11 o'clock" position last night and will be at about the moon's "2 o'clock" position tonight.

The fact that you never noticed that bright "star" near the moon may be because the moon isn't always near it. The Moon rises about 1 hour later every night relative to the stars and planets, thus every night the moon is near a different celestial body. In most of the U.S., the moon rose about 2:00-2:30 AM last night (or 1:00 - 1:30 AM if you're were still on standard time rather than daylight savings time.). It will rise approximately 3:00-3:30 AM (daylight savings time) tonight, 4:00-4:30 AM tomorrow and so on until it begins to rise during the daylight hours.

Tonight when the moon rises, it will be further away from Antares.

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I'm glad I came across this thread. Last week we had a beautiful clear night where I could see the stars sparkle so beautifully. I live on the coast in NJ. I was standing on my porch. My house faces due south, ocean to my east. When I looked up to my west (somewhat southwest) up in the sky I could see 3 stars that were just in a perfect formation. I watched to see if I could see movement. It was hard to tell if my eyes were playing tricks on me, but it did seem as if the center star was stationary, and the other two on the sides were moving ever so slightly (inward and outward.) I asked my husband to take a look and he said uh oh the aliens are coming (joking with me)

Since that evening I have been very curious as to what these stars are known as. I'm sure if I googled it long enough I could come up with something, but hopeful someone here can tell me.

Here is an image I made to give you an idea of what I was seeing. The formation is really what caught my eye. I would like to know a little more about this. I have not assumed anything other then it being stars.

Thank you

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 06:13 PM
link   
I made a new drawing to show the approximate position of the star and the planet. I knew the object on top of the moon was a star because it was sparkling, I don't think planets do that. And the planet that's to the left of the moon (it was a bit farther away than what you see in my drawing, but Paint won't allow me to stretch the page), I thought that was Venus. I could be wrong, but it was very bright and Venus is one of the brightest objects in the sky during this time of year, so I assumed it's Venus.

img.photobucket.com...

And to the poster above me, there are way too many triangular star formations in the sky, there's no way I'd be able to help you there. Perhaps someone else might know.

[edit on 11-3-2007 by Impreza]

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Hey everyone, just wanted to give this thread a bump. Just wondering if anyone is going to check out the night sky, especially the moon, tonight. If you do, let me know if you can see what I described in my last post. Cheers!

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 04:33 AM
link   
i have been seeing that star formation too!!
I found it quite odd, cos i usually do look up at the stars when i'm having a ciggie (dont smoke inside the house). And for the past week or so, i have been seeing that triangle formation.

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Today since I have time to search around on Google I will see what I can come up with. I believe I even have a astronomy program I can use (starry nights or something like that.) However, if anyone else knows please be sure to post. The formation was just so perfect in distance from the center star.
I'm glad someone else has viewed this star formation.

posted on Mar, 14 2007 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I'm forever looking up at the moon hoping to see something interesting but I never see anything. I look up with my naked eye and also got a rubbish telescope 900x60 Zennox but it does ok for me I guess and the nights I've looked at the moon with that I haven't seen anything happen

posted on Mar, 14 2007 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Well i took this pic the night after the eclipse i believe...i was also noticing the 3 stars together.

I think the 3 that go in a straight line across(above the house on the right) are ones i've noticed before...part of one of the dippers? But above that and to the right a little is a small triangle i've never noticed before.Also, If anyone knows what those bright red and purple ones are...please enlighten me. I can take the pictures but someone else has to explain

Don't know why there is so much noise in the image..the original is less distorted...sorry.

posted on Mar, 15 2007 @ 05:25 AM
link   
That would just so happen to be Orion that you see on the right side of the image there. As for this odd triangle that people are talking about, or the odd star that some others are mentioning, I'm still not sure where to look. Anyone have any idea what part of the sky it's in by chance?

TheBorg

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Orion! Thanks for the info Borg.

The direction was west..maybe a little west-north. I believe the photo was taken around 12 - 1 a.m.

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Hello, I live in Green, Ohio and last night 6-18-08 at about 1:30am when I looked out to the south at our barn to see if all was well, I just happened to look at the moon and I feel like I have been divinely touched. I know nothing about the moon other than it is beautiful some evenings but I distinctley saw a cross, (a biblical cross) going straight through the moon. I liken what I saw to 2 X 6 boards and they were all perfectly the same size coming from the sides and top and bottom. The moon had a distinct bright haze around it and from all sides there were lines that looked just like a cross. There was a bright star to the left of the moon also. I am 51 and I have never seen anything like it. I woke my husband up and asked him to look at the moon as well, and yes, he did see it too. I also took a picture with my digital camera which didn't some out so well. You can see the cross but it looks like a pointed cross not a planked cross. Please anyone inform me of what I witnessed. It was awesome. [email protected] Thanks!

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Yeah thanks for the headsup a few days ago.

Last night the girltoy and I saw it, it was amazing

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I think this is a good opportunity to promote (again) the wonderful program called Stellarium.
(The ORG, not the COM.)

Not nearly enough people now about it, and yet it's amazing - and free of charge.

Enjoy.

[edit on 19-6-2008 by Vanitas]

new topics

top topics

join