It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can a thread get locked out for lack of new information?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 06:00 AM
link   
I have recently seen several threads on ATS where an idea is presented with no proof, and when members ask the original poster to please provide a link to support their thread to further the discussion, the OP merely restates their first post without any additional info added into the discussion. I have heard others say that the OPs are doing this to just gather more points for themselves (the OPs). I t seems to me that this is tantamount to the "flooding" mentioned in article 1f of the T&C.

[edit on 3/11/2007 by PapaHomer]

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 06:08 AM
link   
Well, this is a place for alternative discussion. If someone can't provide flawless - or any at all - evidence of their claims, then so be it.

Although, I think that it is rude to ignore people when they ask for a link about something you are talking about, even if just to further the discussion.
I've never worried about points, and jsut yesterday I looked over and saw I had 20, 000. They accumulate themselves. There are so many members that obsess about them. I mean, try and count the posts that start 'So I was wondering if someone could tell me how I could get more . . .'

Just ignore point-grabbers when you see em, I guess.

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Thanks for your input, wtr. I could also care less about points myself ( I think I only about 700 something). What is bothering me is that when the OP starts a thread, you expect that they are wanting to share some info, but when you ask them to elaborate and they blow you off, I do get a little ticked off.

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 06:44 AM
link   
The mods will close a thread if the subject matter has been picked over before. Oh I almoast forgot, do you have a link to back up your claim?

More often thain not they are realy polite about this and tell you "Im sorry this dead horse has already been beaten over here, please beat that horse there instead, thread closed."

Also not all information can be found on the internet. (gasp! Herisey! Burn him he must be a heritic!) *ahem, anyway some people come across some new information perhaps in a library or through listining to the radio or perhaps they just overheard someone talking about the subject.

I do understand your point. when I see. An alien hung out in my bedroom! Threads then I kinda get the oh yea syndrome too but I don't post anything cause I am just not going to be bothered by it.

my two credits...

[edit on 11-3-2007 by whatukno]

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 02:56 AM
link   
Hi whatukno, thanks for the input! The main thread I was talking about wasn't really one that was revisiting old info from another thread, it was just that the OP made a claim and when asked by most of the people who wanted to understand why the OP made a claim, the OP wouldn't give an explaination. We, the other posters, were told by the OP that we didn't need to believe what the OP wrote, only just observe. I don't really want to post a link to the thread in question, because I don't want any of this to be construed as an attack against that particular poster. If you would like, I could u2u a link to you, but only if this doesn't turn into a gripe-fest against that poster.

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 04:55 AM
link   
(Foghorn Legghorn) That was a joke son ya missed it.

I know I don't want to gripe directly at annother user, thats just rude. We certanly don't need a gripe fest twards a particular poster. I do agree with you that if someone doesnt have any evidence to back up their claims and just wants you to believe the claim it makes ATS seem more like the National Enquirer instead of the alternative topic board that it is.

I guess as long as it isnt just a direct attempt at lying (obvious photoshoped pic with the OP and an alien talking with ghandi) it doesnt violate the T&C of this site and so it falls under the grey area of opinion.

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 03:02 AM
link   
(Slaps Forehead)D'oh!!!!

Thanks all (esp. whatukno) for being sympathetic to my frustration over "opinion threads." BTW the thread in question was moved to "Skunkworks" recently, so the mods were watching and did what was probably best for all. I hope in the future that I don't get into too much of a snit when I see someone start a thread and then refuse to add to the discussion. I think that pretty mcuh sums up all that I was wondering about when I started this thread. If it remains open, I'll continue to check back and discuss any issue anyone has about it, but if I don't answer you quickly enough send me a u2u to get me off my butt. All praise the mighty mods and the thankless work they do.

Gee, I don't remeber my nose being that shade of brown earlier

top topics

join