It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Court Rules Burning Pot Smell Does Not Justify Police Entry

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by coven

Originally posted by Lexion
This thread has a lot of people admitting to the use of cannabis.
The IP addresses can be traced.
To the home address of the computer used to make these admissions.

The Admin, if I'm not mistaken, has a responsibility to report these claims
to the proper authorities, and make the IP addresses known.

This thread was started to discuss the viabiality of a police officer determining a search, due to an odor.

Thank you, to the users that admitted usage, on this thread.

I truly hope the Admin. does it's job.

Lex

And I hope they do there job and remove your account for making threatening comments to about 50% of the people who have posted to this thread.

He was simply making a point, I dont think that he was trying to threaten you.

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 11:44 PM
link   
It seems to me that this ruling shows the turning tide of opinions when it comes to the marijuana debate. It never made sense to me why a person couldnt do what they wanted in their own home if they werent hurting anyone else. Regardless of what drug is someone is doing in their own home why should the authorities be able to arrest you unless you are selling it.
Who is the Fed Govt to tell me what drug i can and cannot take as long as im not infringing on anyone elses rights? " Its not a war on drugs, its a war on personal freedoms."

[edit on 3/11/2007 by Frank Black]

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frank Black
It seems to me that this ruling shows the turning tide of opinions when it comes to the marijuana debate. It never made sense to me why a person couldnt do what they wanted in their own home if they werent hurting anyone else. Regardless of what drug is someone is doing in their own home why should the authorities be able to arrest you unless you are selling it.
Who is the Fed Govt to tell me what drug i can and cannot take as long as im not infringing on anyone elses rights? " Its not a war on drugs, its a war on personal freedoms."

Sometimes the jon of those in charge is to protect you from yourself.

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by JamesMcMahn

Originally posted by coven

This thread has a lot of people admitting to the use of cannabis.
The IP addresses can be traced.
To the home address of the computer used to make these admissions.

The Admin, if I'm not mistaken, has a responsibility to report these claims
to the proper authorities, and make the IP addresses known.

This thread was started to discuss the viabiality of a police officer determining a search, due to an odor.

Thank you, to the users that admitted usage, on this thread.

Lex

Thats nice, so you want the police to arrest all the people who use marijuana just for using it? Makes perfect sense......they are such bad people....lol Lets put more people in jail so taxpayers pay for more "Potheads" to sit in jail for no reason.

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Misquoting someone can get you put on Global Ignore. I wouldnt advise it in the future.

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 11:55 PM
link   
i dunno what happened ......the part at the bottom was from me. srry

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 11:58 PM
link   

i dunno what happened ......the part at the bottom was from me. srry

I never busted someone just for pot, unless they had more than 1/4 of a pound. I usually just flushed it down a commode.

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 12:00 AM
link   

And that's what all prohabition laws are all about, protecting us from ourselves. However, no one has the right to protect me from myself. You can say it is society's right or duty to do so but I deny you that right over me.

Vas

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 12:00 AM
link   

I disagree.......if my pursuit of my happiness includes something that does not infringe upon your rights it is no buisness of the authorities to tell me what to do with my body. What you are implying is the equivalent to saying that the cops can arrest me for treating my body poorly.

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 12:07 AM
link   
I am sorry if you view me as a bad guy, but in the academy they teach you that allot of times you are protecting others from themselves, its part of the job.

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 12:25 AM
link   

I am sorry if you view me as a bad guy, but in the academy they teach you that allot of times you are protecting others from themselves, its part of the job.

I dont view you as a bad guy. I just thinks these laws are against our right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. I wish i could think of police in a better aspect but i see more cops who are on powertrips than cops who actually help people.

I think the authorities time would be better spent catching child molesters and violent criminals than chasing potheads and druggies. Tax money would be better spent helping addicts get clean rather than having them in prison.

Think about it. If most drugs were legalized it would be harder for minors to access them. When i was in highschool it was easier to get any illegal drug than it was tobacoo or alcohol. If citizens want to help keep drugs out the hands of thier kids legalization seems a more viable option than jailing Dealers and addicts. After all, for every dealer you put in jail 2 more pop-up

[edit on 3/12/2007 by Frank Black]

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 12:29 AM
link   
I have to disagree with you there, if drugs were legalized you would have more people getting high, and staying high all the time; the cost would be cheaper and they would be able to buy more.

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Maybe. I just seems to me that children have easier acess to illegal drugs.

Most teens get carded if they try to buy alcohol or tobacco so they only get it when a parent or adult agrees ot buy it for them. I think it would work the same for other drugs but who knows? All i can say is we are not winning any war on drugs just like we didnt "win" prohibition and i dare say no amount of money or manpower can "win" the war on drugs.

We could save alot of taxpayer money by legalizing marijuana and taxing it to pay for fighting real crime. There is alot of money to be made on the biggest cash crop in america.

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 01:25 AM
link   
In that case, let's ban all unhealthy/fast food from being consumed...heart disease is the number one killer in the country, so let's protect everyone from indulging. We can all eat tofu and live long, happy, perfect lives. And then we will thank the powerful system for protecting us and making us safe from ourselves!

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 02:50 AM
link   
If the system was half as interested in protecting us, as it is in making us sick, dependent, shallow, and easily manipulated, we wouldn't be in this pickle. They're not interesting in protecting us from ourselves, they're interested in protecting themselves from us.

A government that criminalizes good citizens for no damn reason is corrupt to the core, and quite clearly afraid of the very people who empower the system.

Prohibition doesn't work, we know this - we've seen it not working for decades now.

We're long overdue for a policy change, there's little doubt of that.

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 03:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
From the direction of this thread, it looks like Shots and Jsobecky want to enthusiastically enforce every law on the book, including Throwing pickle juice on a trolley in Rhode Island, or selling hollow logs in Tennessee. Should we question anyone we see eating a pickle, for fear their juice made it's way onto a trolley.

Remember guys, if you had your way, and every pot smoker was arrested, you'd have very few interesting people to chat with here on ATS. Then what would you do with yourselves?

Hey Ras,

Just because I bring up questions which will be asked if/when this goes to SCOTUS doesn't give you the right to rag on me and Shots.

And yes, I do think every law should be followed until it is changed. And if it is unjust, I support legal methods for changing it. Not anarchy.

And what's with this "Remember guys" crap? I was there long before you were, pal. I grew up in the 60/70's, and loved every minute of it. So don't make any assumptions. You know nothing about me.

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 04:06 AM
link   
Somebody care to answer these questions? Remember, this topic is not about pot!

Q1: You roll your own cigarettes. A cop stops you for a traffic violation and sees a stub in your ashtray. It looks just like a roach.

Probable cause?

Q2: My point is, you're taking away one of the 5 senses as a discovery mechanism.

What's next, taking away sight, because not everybody has 20-20 vision?

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
And yes, I do think every law should be followed until it is changed. And if it is unjust, I support legal methods for changing it. Not anarchy.

A few people smoking pot in their spare time, or throwing pickle juice on a trolley, or the sale of hollow logs is hardly anarchy. And, because marijuana has been illegal for so long, and it doesn't look like it's going to be changed any time in the near future, then it's ridiculous to believe that the laws will be followed any more than the pickle juice thing.

And what's with this "Remember guys" crap? I was there long before you were, pal. I grew up in the 60/70's, and loved every minute of it. So don't make any assumptions. You know nothing about me.

Dude, you've made it abundantly clear that you think violators of the law should be punished. I was just pointing out that if that were to happen, many of us ATSers wouldn't be here to chat with you. I wasn't judging you. For all I know, you'd be in the cell next to me.

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
You roll your own cigarettes. A cop stops you for a traffic violation and sees a stub in your ashtray. It looks just like a roach.

Probable cause?

Unfortunately yes... I roll my own cigs. This happened to me. Luckily the police officer was respectable enough to ask what was in the ashtray before dragging me out of my car.

As far as I'm concerned... There is no way to protect your 4th amendment rights. Police can pull you over and search your vehicle for pretty much any reason these days.

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Lex

YOu sound like a communist.
What ever happend to live and let live?
This makes like 3 or 4 posts I have seen by you where you attempt to 'play mod'.
Heres a thought narc, how about you relax and let the real mods do their job?

Did everybody catch this post by Simonmagus?

Hidden Camera Exposes Illegal Search by Police

Cop's excuse for the illegal search: "I had a whiff of marijuana when I first opened up the..."

www.jonesreport.com...

That says it all.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join