It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Court Rules Burning Pot Smell Does Not Justify Police Entry

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shoktek

Originally posted by coven
Nice to know some police officers are getting paid properly for their work... My detective Buddy sure isn't.

So you bust a guy with a kilo of coke...charge him for a half a kilo, then dump the other half on to the street and make a tidy sum. All part of "protecting and serving" the community. Yes, this has happened in many large city departments, Chicago had a big problem with this recently as I recall.

The departments there need to learn to use the "blanket party system" that helps fix corrupt cops.

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by JamesMcMahn

Originally posted by souls
JamesMcMahn,

what police department do you work for? in your entire carrier of working with the police department. have you observed, been informed, or have been involved in using absurd reasons as probable cause in order to conduct a search by yourself or other officers? have you observed, been informed, or have been involved in distorting evidence and testimony by yourself or other officers in order to make make their case? please answer truthfully as any answer you give will not be a surprise.

I was a corporal on the Danville Police Department, Then later became a Virginia State Trooper. Yes, I have seen absurd reasons for searching known drug houses and that wasnt very often, usually it was a rookie that wanted to look good, and usually they were griped out by the Captain of Patrol and made to do mall duty for a month(torture). Almost every officer has at least one time when they are in court and change the "facts" a little bit, I did it myself once when a man had beaten his wife, I knew she was stuck in the "domestic circle" anf would never get out unless he went to jail.

JamesMcMahn

just comes to show you that even a law like the one that is being disputed here currently is wrong, and the court ruled correctly. "Almost every officer has at least one time when they are in court and changed the 'facts' a little bit, ..." do you see what is wrong coming from this statement, specially coming from a police officer? "... I did it myself once when a man had beaten his wife, I knew she was stuck in the 'domestic circle' anf would never get out unless he went to jail." whether it was a kind hearted, sweet loving cop like yourself, or it was just a cop, it is not up to you to make judgements and decide who goes to jail and who doesn't. you are breaking the law. im sorry, she could just as easily seeked help for herself, through counceling, there is plenty of help for that. you must know you could of have directed her to that, even a recommendation would help. there is no reason to get her out of the "domestic circle", just arrest the abusing husband. now back to how the law is wrong. JamesMcMahn, would you agree that the potential of not so kind hearted, sweet loving cops using this law for their benefit or fulfillment is great? better yet, to what degree do you believe that this law would be abused for personal benefit or fulfillment? whether it was a rookie who was given a spankin' or a non-rookie that used the absurd reason to enter into the suspected drug house, the reality of it is that they were using absurd reasons in their actions. this law is just another absurd reason, and that is why the decision of the court is correct and makes sense. corrupt cops see this as an opportunity to gain what ever it is they are trying to gain. if a drug house is so obvious, so obvious, surely there must be other ways of securing a search warrant besides smell, right? i dunno i think smokers should start cooking instead of smoking it, then there would be no smell.

Originally posted by JamesMcMahnThe departments there need to learn to use the "blanket party system" that helps fix corrupt cops.

"blanket party system"?

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 11:38 PM
link   
A blanket party is when you throw a comforter over someone and beat them with nightsticks,it doesnt leave bruise's. It was used in my department to correct bad behavior. It work on me as a rookie, that time I stretched the truth in that domestic situation, I received a blanket party and it never happened again.

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 11:55 PM
link   

A blanket party is when you throw a comforter over someone and beat them with nightsticks,it doesnt leave bruise's. It was used in my department to correct bad behavior. It work on me as a rookie, that time I stretched the truth in that domestic situation, I received a blanket party and it never happened again.

WHOA...

I MEAN WOW

JAW ON FLOOR

COPS BEAT CITIZENS AND OTHER COPS... HOLY S#!

I can't believe you just admitted that...

question

you ever give a blanket party?

(reminds me of the soap bar scene in Full Metal Jacket... That wasn't disturbing to see at all...)

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 12:22 AM
link   
We only used them on officers that got out of line and the Captain had to be there, we never used them on citizens, proof of that is the lack of lawsuits and media coverage. You just seem determined to make everything I say seem evil.

Edit: Yes I did have to to give a blanket party to a rookie who was being rough with suspects, after that he lightened up.

[edit on 13-3-2007 by JamesMcMahn]

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 04:01 AM
link   

We only used them on officers that got out of line and the Captain had to be there, we never used them on citizens, proof of that is the lack of lawsuits and media coverage. You just seem determined to make everything I say seem evil.

Edit: Yes I did have to to give a blanket party to a rookie who was being rough with suspects, after that he lightened up.

Dude if you can't realize beating ANYONE with a nightstick who didn't try to attack you, IS EVIL... your not teaching anyone a lesson with that... your threatening them.... If you kid does something wrong do they get a blanket party too?

and whats up with all the

dude nothing is cool about using power against others, even the corrupt others... Ever think about turning the bad cops over to IA? that would be the civil approach, not BEAT THEM WITH NIGHTCLUBS...

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 06:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by coven

Dude if you can't realize beating ANYONE with a nightstick who didn't try to attack you, IS EVIL... your not teaching anyone a lesson with that... your threatening them.... If you kid does something wrong do they get a blanket party too?

and whats up with all the

dude nothing is cool about using power against others, even the corrupt others... Ever think about turning the bad cops over to IA? that would be the civil approach, not BEAT THEM WITH NIGHTCLUBS...

It is like spanking a child, if you are using it to correct behavior there is nothing wrong with it. All Internal Affairs does is fire someone,why do that when they can be rehabilitated. I am glad that they use this, it is a learning experiance.

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Wow

And then there are people who are watching scooby doo, who happen to have the windows open and an expired perscription of vicodin who are the ones who need to be taken to jail.

And The cops wonder why people don't like them.

They must know they are the bad guys. At least if they are enforcing these laws...

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 08:27 AM
link   
hey shots and jsbecky, what do you think of jamesmcmahn's revelations? if he really is a cop, would you still hold your opinion towards the law that was rejected and the rights that were upheld? why? hey jamesmcmahn, please don't ignore the other, more important questions. i don't like to repeat myself.

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Please restate your question more clearly, and I'll be glad to answer it.

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 09:17 AM
link   

This is one of the most frightening statements I have read on ATS and I have been here over 3 years.

What other situations have you "stretched the truth" on that you did not get caught and receive a blanket party? How many fellow officers "stretch the truth" and how often?

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by souls
hey shots and jsbecky, what do you think of jamesmcmahn's revelations? if he really is a cop, would you still hold your opinion towards the law that was rejected and the rights that were upheld? why? hey jamesmcmahn, please don't ignore the other, more important questions. i don't like to repeat myself.

Souls please stop baiting James that is wrong it is obvious that you do not like cops it is also obvious you would like to engage in an argument or if not it sure seems that way He like others is entitled to an opinion just as you are.

As for the revelations, I am not sure I know what you are getting at. I did not find it surprising the police use blanket parties, hell the military has used them for years very effectively and contrary to what you might think most are not really a beating they are just given as a warning of things that might come if you do not straighten up. From my experience one party is all it takes, I know I got one in basic camp.

I also note that you took his comments about the party and immediately turned police in evil thugs, that again is wrong, only some police are bad not all.

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by nyarlathotep

What other situations have you "stretched the truth" on that you did not get caught and receive a blanket party? How many fellow officers "stretch the truth" and how often?

OK lets stop trying to bait James it is against TOS and I do not like it. If it continues I will ask a MOD to intervine. This is not about good cops ,bad cops or evil: it is not about wither drugs should be legal either; it is about a ruling made by a lower supreeme court.

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Wait, is this the "so you hate cops" thread? I thought this was about police searches.

Why did the blanket party thing even come up here?

So, if we wanted to get back on topic, I'd keep on the points of

A- Too many possible instances of mistaken smell. Though supercop, James McMahon may be able to pick up the smell of purple sticky salvia from the smell of burnt pine needles at 100 yards, but many officers can't. If it can't be a blanket ability (no pun intended), then it shouldn't be used in court.

B- Since we've established that some officers will make false claims on things that aren't verifiable, it should not be used. We all know that officers will say whatever gets their case made in court, so what's to stop them from saying this? (Again, supercop JamesMcMahon excluded)

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by shots

OK lets stop trying to bait James it is against TOS and I do not like it. If it continues I will ask a MOD to intervine. This is not about good cops ,bad cops or evil: it is not about wither drugs should be legal either; it is about a ruling made by a lower supreeme court.

How on earth am I baiting him? He is the one who stated he stretched the truth in a domestic abuse situation. I was just curious how often the truth is stretched in police investigations. If that is baiting, then I apologize and will not contribute to this thread anymore.

Edit:

1g.) Political Baiting: You will not engage in politically-charged rhetoric, politically-inspired name-calling, and related right-versus-left political bickering while posting outside the Politics forums at politics.abovetopsecret.com....

So shots, please show me where I violated the T&C's. Actually, nevermind, I'm outta here. If I can't comment on a police office who admits to stretching the truth and beating fellow officers, then I don't know what you can comment on. Oh well, Deny Ignorance!

[edit on 3-13-2007 by nyarlathotep]

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 10:12 AM
link   
That domestic is the only time I can remember stretching the truth, I will be honest about that. I shouldn't have brought up blanket parties because anyone without military experiance or law enforcement experiance would not understand this action. Every officer stetches the truth at least once, but as we are human that is to be expected, we try our best to keep it from happening again.

This is the last I will speak on blanket parties, again I apologize for bringing them up.

JamesMcMahn

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 10:13 AM
link   
wait are we on the same thread here? i don't care about the blanket party. that has nothing to the with the topic. my reference is to the fact that jamesmcmahn revealed that all officers including him at certain times have to stretch the truth in order to secure their case. whether it be to help someone else or not, it is still changing facts of a criminal case. that's what i was asking about. it seems you guys just decided to take what ever you could answer and leave the more important part out. and if your are wondering, this has a lot to do with the topic. no i don't hate cops, in fact i don't really hate anyone, hate is too strong. i just don't dislike the fact that cops have a strong hand when dealing with crimial cases and that can really affect the lives of people, real people.

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 10:15 AM
link   
So James is not guilty of baiting folks who are on this thread happy to hear that you can't use smell of pot as probable cause, spouting off twisted fraternal rituals of physical violence?

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 10:16 AM
link   

[So shots, please show me where I violated the T&C's. Actually, nevermind, I'm outta here. If I can't comment on a police office who admits to stretching the truth and beating fellow officers, then I don't know what you can comment on. Oh well, Deny Ignorance!

You hate me because I am honest? Would you rather I lie about things and say that they dont happen?

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 10:16 AM
link   

So shots, please show me where I violated the T&C's. Actually, nevermind, I'm outta here. If I can't comment on a police office who admits to stretching the truth and beating fellow officers, then I don't know what you can comment on. Oh well, Deny Ignorance!

exactly, no use if the opposing argument is not aware of what is going on.

edit= shortened quote

[edit on 13-3-2007 by souls]

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join