It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sci/Fi: Have Time Machines Arrived?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Interesting idea. First and foremost, quantum logic gates, which have to do with switching the super position of electrons, these operations happen at near the speed of light. More importantly, even with perfect mirrors there is still going to be a lag, even if it is measured in Pico seconds its still a lag. While light does move astonishingly fast, its not instant. We have created reactions that can occur with suprising speed. THat being said the second illustration with the tiltable mirror, if the mirror were on a "hindge" where the physical act of photons hitting it causes it to tilt it might be possible to do the exp without having to remove laser quickly. Two pulses to start, original low powered pulse followed immediatly by jiga(sp?)-watt pulse. Low pulse to tilt mirror jiga pulse for the reaction. Also, I know of NO perfect mirror that reflects 100% of light, if we had that tech it would be very valuable to the solar industry, I think that as of right now we can reidrect 80-90% of visible and infrared light. Either way im with the pps who mentioned the heat exchange, we would need some serious cooling, and prolly where most of the energy expenditure would be, to keep said machine from over heating. Even if all the heat can be controlled and maintained within the square your still talking about an incremental exponential increase in heat. Thats not nessecarily a bad thing, digitization of phyiscal matter requires its destruction in theory, maybe the exponential heat increase could be used to "fast" burn a body so that all the data could be stored and then "beemed" along with the laser light back into time.

While i dont think that "phyiscal" time travel is possible, im with Einstien that "Time-Viewing" MAY be possible. And even if it is possible, the new rules of quantum physics that we are discovering lead me to believe that any "future" you saw would simply be one of an infinte number of possible futures, see many world's theory. As per looking into the past i think it would make more sense to work at trying to figure out how to move large distances in short time. Travel quickly to Sirius and just look back the way we look out, and boom you are looking back at primevil earth.

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Wouldn't it be to slow down the beam for a while so that the laser can be moved out of the way?

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 02:06 PM
link   
OK I have to admit I am no geek when it comes to this kind of stuff, but several mentioned they think the problem lies with the mirrors and laser interfering with one another because the mirrors are thought not to be fast enough. I could be wrong but hasn't DLP technology already shown that the mirrors can be switched at very high speeds already.

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Something has arrived....a week ahead of time.

At least in my email box. I'm still trying to figure out what the heck it means:

These are directly from my ISP's web based email service...on-line. They aren't photo-shopped or altered in anyway.

The date is the 'received' date!!

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 04:32 PM
link   
along the lines of what Elsenorpompom was saying, if the mirrors were far enough apart, then the time taken for the light to travel around it would be more than enough for the mirror to flip, because the light does not move instantaneously. However, with that said, such a system would be impractically large.

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 04:42 PM
link   
have a mirror on the back end of the laser, and a 2 way mirror on the front so the mean can project out onto the first mirror, then goes to the 2nd mirror, then goes to the 3rd mirror, the 4th mirror, and then hits back end mirror of the laser device, and then sends back to 4th mirror, to 3rd, mirror, to 2nd mirror, to 1st mirror, the relects from the reflective side of the 2 way mirror that shot out the laser in the first place, and repeats.....

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Let me know what you think, I think this design would work but I doubt that it would do what its suppose to

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by nazgarn
Ok I thought I had it, drew it an realized I didn't have it lol. Ended up being way too many mirrors without a solution. Anyone have any ideas?

Well the only possible way I can see it working with such simple objects is if a see through mirror were used for the experiment. I am not 100% sure how the laser would react to that type of mirror, but if it worked, the laser can be sent through the back of the mirror, and it would continuously shine. These mirrors look like regular see through glass on one side, and on the other side, they look like mirrors.

Here is an illustration of what I mean:

Originally posted by queenannie38
Something has arrived....a week ahead of time.

Queenannie, that's just spam mail. I get things like that sent in all the time. They tell you to buy shares of a certain stock because it will "boom," but the shares are junk, and intended to go down, so that the people get your money and you lose it for good. It's basically a scam.

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 12:08 AM
link   
This is a precision operation. I think you would want to use front faced mirrors to prevent abberation of the light. Projection TVs use these type of mirrors in their designs.

I was thinking maybe you could tilt the mirrors in certain ways so the light never hits the originating point. Maybe spiral it down, then spriral it back up and trap it between a certain area of the box? This would certainly have to be very precise.

Will light even bounce for an infinite amount of time?

Troy

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by DJMessiah
Queenannie, that's just spam mail. I get things like that sent in all the time.

I realize that.
I get them just as often as anyone else. However...the date on the image I posted is not from the spam itself but from my ISP's email server. That is why I noticed it. It should be the time and date that the email was received. It is not correct - 3/17/2007 has not arrived yet!

Look below it...all the other times do not list a date because they are from the day that I took that screen shot. Why would the automated time server assign a day a week before all the rest of my mail? It has NEVER done that before...I am not sure but it seems as if it would be impossible.

That email is still at the top of the list because it is still 6 days ahead. It's not the content of the email that is significant - it is the date of receipt.

[edit on 3/12/2007 by queenannie38]

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 03:17 AM
link   
I like your idea nocturnal86. Very Nifty! But how would you be able to get the light to bounce in that configuration? I'm assuming that the light source would have to strike the first mirror at an angle greater than 45 degrees, but just how much greater? Also, with the difference in angle would the pattern of light eventually distort beyond being relatively box shaped?

[edit on 3/12/2007 by PapaHomer]

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by queenannie38

I realize that.
I get them just as often as anyone else. However...the date on the image I posted is not from the spam itself but from my ISP's email server. That is why I noticed it. It should be the time and date that the email was received. It is not correct - 3/17/2007 has not arrived yet!

I advise you to buy the stock. If they are advising you to buy it from the future they MUST know something we don't.

Vas

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Seriously, what options are there for an organic time-travel method? For the vegans of the world?

In the meantime, I'm keeping a vast supply of vegetable waste for the flux capacitor...whenever that's perfected.

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 11:28 PM
link   
OK. Let's forget the how for a second.

Let's say someone does figure it out, or even let's say they have figured it out. How would we ever know? What traces would there be?

What would stop people from manipulating time? What would stop someone creating a world where it was the fourth reicgh or where some people were gone from the time line, while other florished?

How would be ever know? I am just curious, some here seem well versed and might be able to answer this.

I mean would be have parallel universes, if this happened? What would happen to the first verse before the parralel world? Do we have multiple worlds happening all at once?

Is the past, future, present happening all at the same time?

Maybe this should have it's own thread, since this thread is about the possiblity of time travel, and not so much about what would happen when and if we have finally achieved this.

Who would control this? Who would have access to this? How can we stop them from abusing this?

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Hi,

Some replies to the questions raised by Harassment101 could be found in this thread
www.abovetopsecret.com... , post “Time travel” and others.

Hope this will be helpful for this interesting discussion.

brotherthebig.

[edit on 16-4-2007 by brotherthebig]

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Well, apparently someone has figured out the science and engineering involved in putting a time machine together; while doing a google search on practical time travel, I came across the following advertisememt:

Buy Time Machines
Looking For Time Machines?
Low Prices, Free Delivery, Try Us!
www.Shoplet.com

Not only has this guy got time travel figured out, he's marketing it with Adsense!

posted on Apr, 16 2007 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Well, erm...*skritch chin* that would take negative mass, and in order to get negative mass you need negative energy, and I mean a lot of it! So in theory it is possible, but in practice it is improbable.

Once the wormhole/stargate is open though you could travel interdimensionally, intrauniversally, interuniversally, and backwards and forwards through time. You could hold open many at once with varying geometries, and whatever is on the other side would be clearly visible, as it would be for them.

But according to current theory it would take a lot more negative energy than we can muster. Think along the lines of 100-200 MSh.

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I just have to dig up this old thread about my hero Danish physicist Lene Vestergaard Hau because I think time and history will prove her work to be of key significance to the human race. We are a another year down the road and the "stopping light Q & A are still applicable as we ready the LHC Halo which will catch a glimpse of the future, and offer science some proof of other dimensions.

Is is possible that we will live in a black hole? hah, one can only speculate on what may happen to our future.. But as I read over this thread, I see alot of emphasis on the mystic "mirror" theories which has people scratching their heads
whereas the we should be focusing on the condensate. One might wonder which condensate might yield the God particle, and why? The LHC folks will try the noble gases, and observe various phenomena which mankind will consider to be the hearsay. But will they see the future in the condensate? I bet they do, and it will contain contain a some type of DNA particle which will be traced as far back as science allows.

Anywayz, when I think of Heros, I think of Lene Hau, a true pioneer of science.

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   
why not fire the laser down a circled fibre optic cable ?

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Total crap! That is rubbish, But just to make sure im gonna smash my mirror, for smaller mirrors, and make this using my laser pen
see you in month!!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join