It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possible Cause of Some UFO Sightings Over the Years...What Do ATSers Think?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2007 @ 10:09 AM
link   
One of my favorite hobbies for several years has been flying radio controlled aircraft and helicopters. I primarily fly the helicopters, and have been to several competitions and exhibtions. I spend several hours a month at a local park that has been set up as a flying field.

Over the years, as I have watched the aircraft and helicopters flying from long distances, I have commented to myself how often these small craft could be mistaken for UFO's. Especially the helicopters, as they can hover still and then jerk right, left, up and down quickly. The sun can glint off of the metal when the helis are jerking around, and it does catch your eye from a distance.

In addition, some people fly their craft at night with a lot of night light arrangements, which would definitely look odd from a distance.

Many times while driving up to the flying parks my sons have commented how the helicopters remind them of UFO videos that they see on TV shows and such.

Just curious, thats all.....

posted on Mar, 10 2007 @ 10:26 AM
link   
That could be the cause for some sightings, but I don't think it's a large percentage of them.

How high and far away can you fly them?

posted on Mar, 10 2007 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I'm sorry, I should have clarifed my post question. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

I know its not a large percentage at all, but I bet these could account for SOME sightings here and there. Anyway, just a curious question and an attempt to maybe explain some sightings.

Some of the larger birds with the large batteries and powerful control radios can fly several hundred yards up and out. Of course you have to have darn good eyesight; but it can be done.

Again, thanks for making me clarify my question.

posted on Mar, 10 2007 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Wow, I didn't know they could go that far.

I'm sure some of the odd shaped UFO's could be something like that. Maybe people could use them to make hoaxes too, though

Just another thing people have to consider next time they think they see a UFO.

posted on Mar, 10 2007 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Definitelyl.

Im sure quite a few have popped up in various "UFO" scam videos.

In person it would be a different story. I think they would be easy to identify because of their size and range of movement.

posted on Mar, 10 2007 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dulcimer
Definitelyl.

In person it would be a different story. I think they would be easy to identify because of their size and range of movement.

I totally agree - I live around O'Hare - and one of the forest preserves in the area has an area set up for RC flyers - sometimes I stop over there and watch them in the summer because its pretty cool. You can tell the difference in size quite easily. Their range is a few hundred yards yes - but that all depends on the frequency and signal used... If some person posted a video of lets say lights dancing above a tree top - and it was an RC plane/helicopter - it would be very easy to distinguish how large the object is.
Also.
These RC craft can not make the movements supposedly sighted/recorded by witnesses to the phenomena of UFOs.

[edit on 3/10/2007 by kroms33]

posted on Mar, 10 2007 @ 01:34 PM
link   
well in the years to come I would be curious as to what "black project" stuff the Military is developing. If I had seen a B2 or SR-71 20-30 years ago what would I think it was? Now they prolly have some very advanced stuff that would look so bizarre alot of us would be convinced its ET if we caught a glimpse of whatever they keep most secret.

posted on Mar, 10 2007 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Yeah I know what you mean by the SR-71.

Still, I have read about one thing that they have been working on. It's some sort of plane that can go into space and basically reach any destination on the world in the shortest amount of time possible.

I forgot the name but you guys have seen it already. Besides that though, the only new thing I think they made was the F-22 Raptor :S

As for the reason behind sightenings, the the fact more people are seeing them...I believe it's just because more people are alive now then before. And because of it, more people have nothing better to do than make crap up.

[edit on 10-3-2007 by CidCaldensfey]

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by kroms33

Originally posted by Dulcimer
Definitelyl.

I totally agree - I live around O'Hare - and one of the forest preserves in the area has an area set up for RC flyers - sometimes I stop over there and watch them in the summer because its pretty cool. You can tell the difference in size quite easily. Their range is a few hundred yards yes - but that all depends on the frequency and signal used... If some person posted a video of lets say lights dancing above a tree top - and it was an RC plane/helicopter - it would be very easy to distinguish how large the object is.
Also.
These RC craft can not make the movements supposedly sighted/recorded by witnesses to the phenomena of UFOs.

[edit on 3/10/2007 by kroms33]

You are absolutely right, kroms33. But I do bet that over the years that a few of these RC craft have caused a few 'sightings'.

Anyway, it really is fun to watch and definitely fun to take part in. If you are ever interested, U2U me and I'll help you.

Thanks for your input!

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 10:22 AM
link   
I think that some may be caused by remote control aircraft, hell, I have one. I attached sparklers to it, lit them on fire flew it around at night.

On of my friends who owns a major website about remote controls flew his remote control plane around an urban area at night with a Camera on board.

That said, I do belive 95% of sighting aren't RC planes.

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 11:22 AM
link   
The sound of the engines are pretty distinctive too (unless you're talking electric), but I would have thought the numbers of sightings which could be attributed to R/C craft would be minuscule.

I think the vast majority of sightings are a combination of civilian aircraft (especially at night, doubly so if you're selling a video.. *ahem*), blimps, weather balloons etc, with a smaller percentage being black military projects. What you're then left with, are a combination of deliberate hoaxes and real unexplained phenomena.

I just wish more of these video sightings would use a tripod so we can actually get clearer shots rather than these blurry blobs we see all the time

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Txhunter67

I can only point out of what I have seen. That was the first question my friend ask me as we were walking home one evening. It was beyound what at that time I could answer. He asked, do you believe everything you see to be real? I guess so I replied, looking at the sidewalk until at the time he spoke

Then tell me what do you see there?, we stopped. James was pointing up towards this house, I looked up, and just above it, was this massive shape.

No Sound, no movement... no reason to ask ourselfs what are we looking at? It was like a time stamp of a picture/movie of a Object that I can only compare to today's concepts and creations for Spaceships/UFO's/ or call what you wish. This was just the first of 10 different times that I have seen these through out my life. Some are allot more, and more intense. Thanks for Sharing Txhunter67,

I look forwards to more in this forum.

Jessiemole.

top topics

join