It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spyware evrywhere

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 04:41 PM
link   
This is my first post, so excuse me for being ignorant about spyware, but why do I have so many attempts to place spyware after having been to this site ( ATS)...also, left a comment at CNN.Com, discovered another 43 or so spyware attempts on my firewall....what is going on? Am I that naive or stupid? Please comment...thank you.

posted on Mar, 10 2007 @ 08:21 AM
link   
I don't think it's a stupid concern at all. I have even had a trojandownloader try to get on my puter twice. I was only on a few sites when it occurred. One needs to be concerned about malicious stuff getting on ones computer.

posted on Mar, 10 2007 @ 08:31 AM
link   
What is the nature of the spyware alerts you're receiving?

Many personal firewall software packages throw up over-zealous alerts as a tactic to convince you of their value... when in fact, most alerts are benign actions like writing cookies, running Flash, opening multiple ports, etc.

We have over 50,000 visitors a day here, and if this was a common problem, you can be sure we'd hear about it.

posted on Mar, 10 2007 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Thank you for your comments. Perhaps these are just normal knee-jerk reactions to my firewall...and yes, I wonder if these internet security plans aren't out to impress the user...but I also know that several attempted browser hijackings happened ( not at ATS, thankfully) and several other "unknown" malicious attempts happened the other day ( again, NOT at the ATS site) yet, after being here, my spyware does come up with some very impressive numbers, more so than any other site. The only other site to add so many are the CNN.Com sites. Sorry, but I do not trust my government as far as I can throw a freight train! Maybe I am just being a nervous nelly, who knows? Please accept my thanx for at least responding to my interest.

posted on Mar, 10 2007 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Well... what kind of alerts are you getting on ATS?

The fact that your getting lots of alerts might mean there is some malware on your system.

Here are some things we do that my cause alerts in hyper-sensitive firewalls:

1) Attempt multi-port connections: to speed up page downloads and improve server performance, our web server is configured to attempt to open as many connections as possible when pages are requested.

2) Attempt to write multiple cookies: there can be up to 18 different cookies our sites attempt to write between the three domains and the upload services... the cookies are used to identify your status and do not sore anything about you.

3) Cookies from up to 4 advertiser sources: we have three ad networks in addition to Google adsense... the cookies are used to ensure you see a variety of ads, and do not store anything about you.

4) Cookies from the Google Analytics (urchin): these help us identify real-human page views (as opposed to search engine spiders), and a wealth of other site performance data... the cookies do not store anything about you.

posted on Mar, 10 2007 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Here is one way to help you in the spyware/cookies/crap that fills your computer

files will be hidden and u need to un hide them.. lol
click on any folder
go to >> tools/folder options/view
look for hidden files and folders
click on >> show hidden files and folders

go to>>> My Computer/Drive C or what ever you master hard drive is
Documents and Settings
Click on your folder >>> Whatever you named your logon name/ or owner
go to >> local settings/Temporary Internet Files. > local settings/temp/Temporary Internet Files/Content.IE5

start deleting the folders. some you cant delete and youll need to go into the folders and delete small amounts of files at a time.. there will be a few files you wont be able to delete, but the rest you can.

you can also go into >> local settings/ history > start/run
type in CHKDSK
that will restore/delete or fix any files that need to be fixed

doing all this deleting manually will ensure that your computer is being cleaned.. most software do a crappy job. and the windows DISK CLEANUP takes a very long time for alot of people.

now for the SPYWARE

always have your TASK MANAGER up
click on the tab >> processes
get familiar with what runs normally
that will be under the tab >> image name
most of the time SPYWARE/TROJANS will be in all caps
write down the name of that file and right click on it
click >> end process
do a search on the file you wrote down
find the file and delete it by hand.. it is more effective that just using a SPYWARE remover alone.

[edit on 10-3-2007 by skunkworks82]

[edit on 10-3-2007 by skunkworks82]

posted on Mar, 10 2007 @ 10:23 AM
link   
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH i forgot another one

go to START/RUN
type in MSCONFIG
go to the last tab STARTUP
unless its important like AOL/ your VIRUS SCAN/SPYWARE REMOVER
or something that needs to start up when your windows starts up, un click it.. the less things you have starting up, the better your computer will run. also spyware starts up too. so unchecking spyware will help alot !!!!!

posted on Mar, 10 2007 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by skunkworks82
Here is one way to help you in the spyware/cookies/crap that fills your computer

files will be hidden and u need to un hide them.. lol
click on any folder
go to >> tools/folder options/view
look for hidden files and folders
click on >> show hidden files and folders

go to>>> My Computer/Drive C or what ever you master hard drive is
Documents and Settings
Click on your folder >>> Whatever you named your logon name/ or owner
go to >> local settings/Temporary Internet Files. > local settings/temp/Temporary Internet Files/Content.IE5

start deleting the folders. some you cant delete and youll need to go into the folders and delete small amounts of files at a time.. there will be a few files you wont be able to delete, but the rest you can.

To make this easier, and to allow for quick future access, just right-click on your desktop and choose "New" --> "Shortcut". Type "%temp%" for the Location, then name it whatever you wish. OK

You now have a direct shortcut to your "hidden" temp folder right on your desktop. Once a week or so just open the folder, click "Edit" ---> "Select All", then "Delete".
* to bypass the Recylce Bin, just hold down the Shift Key while clicking Delete.

Hope this helps.

[edit: Shortcut not Folder]

[edit on 10-3-2007 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Mar, 10 2007 @ 10:52 AM
link   
12m8keall2c .....

thanks man !!!!!!

i tend to do it the long way

new topics

top topics

join