It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The movie '300' and the Iraq war/War on Terrorism

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I just got done seeing the movie and I couldn't help but notice the similarities between the movie and what's happening in today's world. Yeah, I know it's the Spartans against the Persians, but the amount of times the word "freedom" and "free men" are used by the Spartans to describe themselves and the bestial portrayal of the Persians, I couldn't help but see a similarity. Is it just coincidental timing?-----I doubt it. People were actually cheering in the audience as Persians were being slaughtered. IMO the movie is meant to fire the "free" world up.

It was a great movie, but only the weak minded will let it influence them.

Peace

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I plan on seeing that movie tonight. However your theory on the movie and its timing doesn’t really stand on solid ground. My defense is that war movies always come out. during war time and during peace time Jarhead is one off the top of my head. You can apply any movie to any situation anywhere at anytime. You can make lord of the rings apply to the same situation. But thanks for the one up on the movie.

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Then you know the Persians, aka Middle Easterners, Islamic, were the first one to start the whole thing. They struke first blood way before the Spartans, if it had not been for the 300Spartans, and 1000 from the rest who didn't run we would all be praying to Alah, or getting stuff cut off.

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Royal76
Then you know the Persians, aka Middle Easterners, Islamic, were the first one to start the whole thing. They struke first blood way before the Spartans, if it had not been for the 300Spartans, and 1000 from the rest who didn't run we would all be praying to Alah, or getting stuff cut off.

Despite the fact that the battle between the Spartans and Persians happened long before Islam was anywhere near conception? Even Christianity wasn't around at the time, and I don't think Judaism was around either. So I fail to see the connection with praying to Allah or referring to them as Islamic. If you've got something against Islam this isn't the thread for it.

But it still does seem a little weird that the Spartans would be so representative of freedom. They weren't exactly an ideal society if you're into democracy and all that jazz, Athens was a bit farther along. Not that the battle doesn't make for an interesting story, I still intend on seeing 300 if I have some spare cash to go to the movies.

[edit on 3/9/2007 by cyberdude78]

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Very much looking forward to seeing this film especially as it is an adaptation of Frank Millers gothic comic 300. Sin City was superb.

As for parallels with the Iraqi war, maybe, but as has already been mentioned, parallels can easily be drawn for many movies.

According to wikipedia:
The Battle of Thermopylae occured in 480BC.
and
Islam seems to have appeared after the teachings of one Muhammad around the 7th century.

So, Royal76 would you like to explain your rant or can we once again assume you can't help but reveal your true nature in your posts.

[edit on 9-3-2007 by Koka]

posted on Mar, 10 2007 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by cyberdude78

Despite the fact that the battle between the Spartans and Persians happened long before Islam was anywhere near conception? Even Christianity wasn't around at the time, and I don't think Judaism was around either. So I fail to see the connection with praying to Allah or referring to them as Islamic. If you've got something against Islam this isn't the thread for it.

But it still does seem a little weird that the Spartans would be so representative of freedom. They weren't exactly an ideal society if you're into democracy and all that jazz, Athens was a bit farther along. Not that the battle doesn't make for an interesting story, I still intend on seeing 300 if I have some spare cash to go to the movies.

[edit on 3/9/2007 by cyberdude78]

if the spartans didnt own them, the persians would have ultimately had more power and control in the world which would have allowed for mass islamic inluence across the globe. bless all of those spartans... bloodthirsty killers or not, they did the right thing.

posted on Mar, 10 2007 @ 12:46 AM
link   
I just watched the movie myself and didnt make the connection and dont really see it now either.
I think it just showed smarts can overcome numbers, blood flowing all over the screen makes for a good movie and Spartans were some bad bitches.

posted on Mar, 10 2007 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by SenHeathen
I just watched the movie myself and didnt make the connection and dont really see it now either.
I think it just showed smarts can overcome numbers, blood flowing all over the screen makes for a good movie and Spartans were some bad bitches.

i made one connection... it shows the cowardice of that culture in general. for example ******SPOILER****** when the spartans relentlessly beat their asses, they resort to using 'magic' (bombs) instead of directly fighting. sound familiar? but yeah, thats the only thing i really noticed, and thats purely from imagination. like someone else said, you could make the connection with nearly any movie. just like someone mentioned in another thread about harry potter being about the NWO, you could honestly listen to any album or watch any movie and form obtuse conclusions that relate to say, the NWO

posted on Mar, 10 2007 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Well
if the spartans didnt own them, the persians would have ultimately had more power and control in the world which would have allowed for mass islamic inluence across the globe. bless all of those spartans... bloodthirsty killers or not, they did the right thing.

Although the Spartans took, propotionately, a larger number of lives, they lost the battle. You can only speculate on how the future would pan out, had they won or failed to ensure the escape of their brothers in arms.

Your speculation is subjective, who really knows how it would influence history?

As for cowardice and 'magic' bombs, when vastly out numbered it is wiser to use your smarts and only use braun when necessary.

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 08:18 PM
link   
was the fact that there were only "300" Spartans. The US military is generally smaller than most modern day military forces. What I got from the movie was that regardless of numbers, if you have a darn good reason to fight, say maybe to keep someone from taking over your society and way of life. You will pull out all the stops to make sure that DOES NOT happen.

I honestly believe that maybe there was a subtle underlying theme...if the US is threatened by whomever, and however large their forces are, we will put up one hell of a fight, even if our military is "stretched thin".

But thats just me and my thought process.

My opinion on the movie:

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I saw the film today also. I noted the use of freedom was a bit over the top, but since I've only read Herodotus' account of the days events and not Frank Miller's version, I put it down to the usual American cinema tendency to simplify things. I suppose when you're working to a budget, putting things in the correct historical context costs more than coming up with a few buzzwords that will resonate with the audience.

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 10:42 PM
link   
it's based on frank miller's comic book so historical accuracy's and hidden messages may be far reaching. I think some people are reading a little bit more into the film than what it is.

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 11:22 PM
link   
I saw the film and I thought it was awesome. It was a very original "period piece".

It is a bit of coincidence that it was made and released now. I would bet it will be screened at uso's all over the middle east.

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrOOpieS
was the fact that there were only "300" Spartans. The US military is generally smaller than most modern day military forces.

Wrong.

posted on Mar, 14 2007 @ 08:40 AM
link   
From my local paper. It was only a matter of time.

Iranians outraged over 300, calling it an insult to culture

TEHRAN, Iran — The hit American movie 300 has angered Iranians who say the Greeks-vs-Persians action flick insults their ancient culture and provokes animosity against Iran.

"Hollywood declares war on Iranians," blared a headline in Tuesday's edition of the independent Ayende-No newspaper.

The movie, which raked in $70 million in its opening weekend, is based on a comic-book fantasy version of the battle of Thermopylae in 480 B.C., in which a force of 300 Spartans held off a massive Persian army at a mountain pass in Greece for three days.

Even some American reviewers noted the political overtones of the West-against-Iran story line — and the way Persians are depicted as decadent, sexually flamboyant and evil in contrast to the noble Greeks.

In Iran, the movie hasn't opened and probably never will, given the government's restrictions on Western films, though one paper said bootleg DVDs were already available.

Still, it touched a sensitive nerve. Javad Shamghadri, cultural adviser to Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, said the United States tries to "humiliate" Iran in order to reverse historical reality and "compensate for its wrongdoings in order to provoke American soldiers and warmongers" against Iran.

The movie comes at a time of increased tensions between the United States and Iran over the Persian nation's nuclear program and the Iraq war.

But aside from politics, the film was seen as an attack on Persian history, a source of pride for Iranians across the political spectrum, including critics of the current Islamic regime.

State-run television has run several commentaries the past two days calling the film insulting and has brought on Iranian film directors to point out its historical inaccuracies.

"The film depicts Iranians as demons, without culture, feeling or humanity, who think of nothing except attacking other nations and killing people," Ayende-No said in its article Tuesday.

"It is a new effort to slander the Iranian people and civilization before world public opinion at a time of increasing American threats against Iran," it said.

Iran's biggest circulation newspaper, Hamshahri, said 300 is "serving the policy of the U.S. leadership" and predicted it will "prompt a wave of protest in the world. ... Iranians living in the U.S. and Europe will not be indifferent about this obvious insult."

Link

Peace

posted on Mar, 14 2007 @ 08:45 AM
link   
I just thought you guys might be interested in this thread:

Iran condemns Hollywood war epic

posted on Mar, 14 2007 @ 08:46 AM
link   
What I got out of it was the useless politicians that were bought and paid for who waffled about all wishy washy and spineless and got Leonides killed by not offering any support only to later have to re-fight the war on a much greater and bloodier scale to make up for their political hubris.

Sounds like all those who denied Hiltler and the Nazis were a threat until the last minute. Sounds like all those who say "just lest the sharia folk be" even as they move en masse into Europe and refuse to assimilate but insist the Europeans succumb to their laws.

Its the politicians. Their the ones who take the gold and rape our queens while the defenders of the nation die.

posted on Mar, 15 2007 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Dr. Love, Read the history, Molon Labe.

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Dude. I thought the exact same thing. That movie seemed as if it was released by the government. I was seating in the theater wondering why the queen sounded exactly like Bush. I thought it was just me.

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I highly doubt they made the movie to glorify our current war status. And I'd imagine they just made the movie to make money. Not everything is a conspiracy.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join