It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yes, spitting in the face is crime, court rules

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Yes, spitting in the face is crime, court rules

today.reuters.com

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - A man who intentionally spat at another can be charged with criminal assault, a U.S. appeals court ruled on Wednesday.

Jeffrey Lewellyn was sentenced to two years probation and 50 hours of community service after he spat in 2004 at a patient who swore at him on the grounds of a Veterans Administration Medical Center in Walla Walla, Washington.

He appealed the conviction, arguing that spitting did not constitute an assault, but the U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals disagreed.

"Intentionally spitting on another person is an offensive touching that rises to the level of simple assault," the three-judge panel wrote.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I thought spitting was just disgusting, not a crime.

today.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 02:48 PM
link   
In some places its illegal to spit in public.

Sanitary reasons, tis a good law. If someone had some nasty mouth disease, like.. herpes or something.. even aids.. or even the flue/cold.. its disgusting and yes, it is a law you cannot spit on someone. Its no difference then walking up to someone and pissing on them.

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Yet Another Crushing Blow To The Principle Of Free Spit!

Is nothing sacred?

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Rockpuck is correct. If he was HIV positive he'd be lucky if he didn't get attempted murder. And yes, few things piss me off more than walking down the street and having to avoid green lueggies. It's totally discusting.

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 03:03 PM
link   
It always has been. You can file assualt charges for someone spitting on you. It's been that way for as long as I can remember. Nothing to see here, move along.

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Well I don't walk down the streets spitting on people so I'm not really familiar with the laws, sorry.

posted on Mar, 10 2007 @ 10:48 AM
link   
lol enjoies..

Im glad you don't spit on people..

As someone said above, the charge is assualt. I couldn't think of its classification but now I remember.. The charge is Assault and usually comes with fines, public service ect.

posted on Mar, 10 2007 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I guess there goes the lefties favorite pastime,
. Cant spit on returning soldiers.

Mod Note: One Line and Short Posts – Please Review This Link.
Mod Note: Please Stay on Topic

[edit on 10-3-2007 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Mar, 10 2007 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Wow, it never ceases to amaze me how some people can turn anything into a right, left arguement. Wake up and realize that there is no right and left. They have you soooo under their control.

posted on Mar, 10 2007 @ 12:37 PM
link   
So I know many people that spray when the talk . . .

So . . . when is going to become an assault to spray on people while talking?

I also wonder if very soon we all need to wear mask to avoid breathing on others people an contaminating their space.

This are issues of behavior in a civilized society, this a matter of education, I don't think that many here goes around spitting on others for the fun of it, because is wrong and disgusting . . .that is what our parents, teachers, chruch officials, health officials tells us.

But when laws and government gets involved, this is not just about regulations this is about controlling human behavior by means of enforcing them with laws and punishements making criminal acts of just behaviour problems.

How far this type of assault on people is going to keep going without control.

Because Is all about control . . .

posted on Mar, 10 2007 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Sanitary reasons, tis a good law. If someone had some nasty mouth disease, like.. herpes or something.. even aids.. or even the flue/cold.. its disgusting and yes, it is a law you cannot spit on someone. Its no difference then walking up to someone and pissing on them.

Rockpuck is correct. If he was HIV positive he'd be lucky if he didn't get attempted murder. And yes, few things piss me off more than walking down the street and having to avoid green lueggies. It's totally discusting.

Are you out of your minds you two? Or it is just ignorance? Attempted murder or HIV/AIDS spreading trought saliva?
It is the summum of ignorance.
Seriously, stop talking about things you don't know. To even have a chance in millions to get aids by saliva it would take 20 liters of saliva, sorry to dismantle your ``attempted murder`` non-sense.

posted on Mar, 10 2007 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Vitchilo, sometimes certain comments make me think about age related issues but I tried to ignore that fact.

Is funny that we all have used our mouths for other purposes not necessarily the ones that was intended for, like eating and talking. . .

But I see nobody complaining about sanitarian issues in that regard.

posted on Mar, 10 2007 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
Are you out of your minds you two? Or it is just ignorance? Attempted murder or HIV/AIDS spreading trought saliva?
It is the summum of ignorance.
Seriously, stop talking about things you don't know. To even have a chance in millions to get aids by saliva it would take 20 liters of saliva, sorry to dismantle your ``attempted murder`` non-sense.

Not if you have blood in your saliva. And don't tell me I don't know anything about HIV/AIDS. I have plenty of friends with the virus....do you? I know it takes gallons of saliva alone to contract HIV, but not when someone has a cut in their mouth. And who knows if someone does? If he was HIV positive, they could throw the book at him because no one would be able to know if he had blood in his saliva or not. Although it would be the "perfect" storm scenario (i.e. everything would have to be in place for transmition) it is still a possibility. So, it being a possibility, you are wrong.

posted on Mar, 10 2007 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Vitchilo, sometimes certain comments make me think about age related issues but I tried to ignore that fact.

Is funny that we all have used our mouths for other purposes not necessarily the ones that was intended for, like eating and talking. . .

But I see nobody complaining about sanitarian issues in that regard.

Honestly, you defend the right to spit on people... how utterly childish is that? How utterly ignorant and quite honestly STUPID!

You do not have the ... "right" to spit .. any where let alone on some one.. I don't know where you think that right came from.. would you place that under freedom of speech? You are responsible for your actions, if you spit on someone it is for malicious intent, if you have blood in your saliva (Gum disease, split lip, sores of some kind) you CAN pass HIV onto someone else if it hits them in the eye, mouth.. not only HIV but any other disease you carry.

You bringing up people who "spray" when they talk just furthers your complete absolute ignorant nonsense ramblings. Is it in malicious intent? Id tell you to grow up as well but I am afraid you far exceeded that haven't you?

[edit on 3/10/2007 by Rockpuck]
EDIT: By the way Marge, it should be noted that spitting on people has been a crime for a VERY long time. This is not something new that er...... "neocons" or what ever you slander the right with now adays came up with.

posted on Mar, 10 2007 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck

Honestly, you defend the right to spit on people... how utterly childish is that? How utterly ignorant and quite honestly STUPID!

Before you spray me with the foam in your mouth after this very sad and insulting comment I dare you to show me. . .

Where it said in my previous post that I defend the right to spit on people.

This shows you very intent in this thread and your true nature.

Sad, insulting and pitiful.

posted on Mar, 10 2007 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Wow, I can't believe people are in essence defending what they must feel is somebody's "right" to spit in the face of somebody else. Spitting on someone is one of the worst things you can do to them. What's next, some folks will support legalizing my "right" to empty my bladder onto another? Spitting on the ground is bad enough, but to support allowing one to spit in another's face... Wow.

posted on Mar, 10 2007 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlphaHumana
Wow, I can't believe people are in essence defending what they must feel is somebody's "right" to spit in the face of somebody else.

The problem here is . . . that. . . if you read all the post in this thread. . . you will find that nobody is defending the right to spit on another human being.

It was just one littler insulting trolling post in the thread targeting me.

BTW is people with health related problems that can not stop salivating and drolling.

The produce excessive salive and is beyond their control.

So I wonder if the people with this problem will be charge for discharging salive in public. . .

[edit on 10-3-2007 by marg6043]

posted on Mar, 10 2007 @ 03:28 PM
link   
this is a link to saliva management and reasons why some people have problems with salve production and drolling.

www.scopevic.org.au...

[edit on 10-3-2007 by marg6043]

posted on Mar, 10 2007 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Marge your rambling, you think the government is intrusive in making it illegal for people to spit..

That is defending, whether or not you think people should spit or not you don't think there should be a LAW against it.

Ask an officer, they will tell you they absolutely do not want the scum they pick up spitting on them.. and if they do it is assault on an officer.

You just seem angry, out there looking for a fight.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join