It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Turkey Bans YouTube

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 07:54 AM
link   
News Article

It's against the law in Turkey to insult 'Turkishness'. Apparently Turkey
has banned YouTube because of some posts that have been
insulting 'Turkishness'.

I knew it was against the law to insult 'Turkishness', but I thought Turkey
was getting past that somewhat. Guess not.

Coming on the heels of the ban on journalists in France .... YIKES.

edited once for spelling in the title

[edit on 3/9/2007 by FlyersFan]

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 08:22 AM
link   
LOL I was like Turkey Band Youtube? You mean banned LOL

Anyway on the topic, the majority of those people all know how to bypass the ISP blocks by using proxies that skirt around the bans. Saudi Arabia, Iran and a lot of those Muslim countries do it as well. Its totally stupid. Where there is a will, there will be a way.

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThePieMaN
LOL I was like Turkey Band Youtube? You mean banned LOL

Yep. I spelled it wrong. Turkey Bans YouTube.

Hey .. I'm old. My fingers aren't working so well this morning.
My knees aren't working so well either; and my breathing is wheezy again; etc .. but we won't get into that since it's off topic.

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 09:00 AM
link   
This is just another assault on the internet in one form or another. Other examples that come to mind are China and Cuba. Add in Venezuala's clamp down on media reporting, and I would say that our system of freedoms here in the US is the best in the world, and we need to be diligent every day in order to keep it from being compromised.

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Little do most US citizens know, the US does this on a covert scale. You cannot get certain books or items from Global websites. You will have to use .fr, .jp, .de, .nz, or other Country extensions in order to look at what is really offered. Usually .fr and .nz are pretty good. You might want to use the .nz for they speak english and .fr is French. It's great when you are searching world news. You can really see what happens in Iraq!

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Didn´t the Turks also bump off some turkish journalist who wrote about the Turkish Genocide of Armenians (1914 - 1922).

Pretty touchy about thier past then the Turks eh.

better not chant "atta turk´s a #" the next time your club plays in Istanbul then

[edit on 25-3-2007 by sanctum]

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 02:34 PM
link   
My brother lived in Turkey for one year. The first thing he was told was not to offend 'Turkishness' or to say anything negative about that fellow mentioned in the article. They worship him. It was very serious business.

posted on Mar, 25 2007 @ 07:50 PM
link   
This ban lasted only 1,5 days long. After 2 days they unbanned youtube, there was a huge pressure from public.

new topics

top topics

join