It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysteries of The Human Brain

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 09:42 PM
link   
How much unlocked potential is in your mind? I have heard of people being able to see certian colors, and taste things pertaning to the color. Bethoven could actually see certian colors, depending on what note was played. There are also people who can look at a city-scape for a few seconds, and then draw out a large picture of every bulding and little details that the person seen. Not to mention people who can recall entire phone-books. Now if those people can do it, what is stopping us? I know the human mind is quite the complicated organ, but there is so much untapped potential in there. There are autistic kids who can play certian instruments like prodigys, and it seemes so easy to them. Some people claim they can see to the "other side" and contact spirts. I belive in that myself, but i want to know what is missing in my brain that is stopping me from acheving that higher level. Perhaps nowadays, peoples brain gets to overloaded with too much stuff going on, and they dont stop and try to get in touch with their sub-concisious.

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 09:44 PM
link   
WHO CARES ABOUT THE BRAIN THE SOONER WE DIE THE SOONER EVERYTHING WILL BE ALRIGHT

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by rrahim1
WHO CARES ABOUT THE BRAIN THE SOONER WE DIE THE SOONER EVERYTHING WILL BE ALRIGHT

Dude talk to someone. Please

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 09:56 AM
link   
im also wondering as to why we can only use like 19 percent of our brain. who discovered this and for what reasons???
ive been having some crazy dreams lately, people i believe i could never make up in my mind, etc, locations, everything. i wonder how the brain is capable of creating such locations, scenarios, etc...

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 09:57 AM
link   
that im unsure if the dreams happen in the brain...

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by five55
im also wondering as to why we can only use like 19 percent of our brain. who discovered this and for what reasons???

We don't, we use all of it. We just use some areas more than others at certain times. Depends what tasks you are doing.

that im unsure if the dreams happen in the brain...

You'd need to explain why damage to certain areas of the brain, and the action of certain drugs, stop dreaming.

[edit on 9-3-2007 by melatonin]

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by five55

That's a hoax. It was part of a marketing campaign by ABC networks.

www.snopes.com...

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 10:17 AM
link   
We use 100% of our brains, but not 100% all of the time. More intelligent people use less of their brain at once than those who are less intelligent. It deals with syapses. Think of a computer. A more efficient computer uses less CPU and memory than an older one.

As far as city scapes are concerned, usualy those are the ones with autism or some brain ailment. You can actually train your brain to do it, but it's a priortiy level...like everything in the brain.

Example:

You are watching TV and doing HW with your textbook. You go back to it in the morning an you know it's right but you can't do the calculations and have to reteach yourself. The TV was the priority and the HW was not even though you did it.

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 08:41 AM
link   
There is a condition called Synaesthesia, I have it and I can see sounds as geometric shapes.

Wiki

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 12:50 PM
link   

In spatial-sequence, or number form synesthesia, numbers, months of the year, and/or days of the week elicit precise locations in space (for example, 1980 may be "farther away" than 1990), or may have a three-dimensional view of a year as a map (clockwise or counterclockwise).

Wait, I thought EVERYONE viewed the calendar in their head as a 3 dimensional object...

I also see math that way, physics calculations, chemistry, I simulate it all in my head in 3Dimensions. I thought everyone does.

When you think of a year, or a day for that matter, do you not see a huge ring? The further along you go along the ring the further you've gone through time? The closer to the center of the ring, the more important the event, and the width of the ring is used to store multiple peoples events?

[EDIT] Some good it does me though... my memory fails readily when it comes to dates... theres huge areas on the ring that are absolutely black.

[edit on 11-3-2007 by johnsky]

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Go take a course in brain anatomy and pathology, and you will find most of your answers there.

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Every brain has the potential for genius, we just need some kind of key to unlock it. Have a look at this article, it doesn't go into too much detail but it's enough to whet the appetite news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Some women (estimated at around 2 - 3% in the world) have an interesting mutation on their X chromosome that allows them to see in four base colors rather than three (red, green, blue) like the rest of us. These ladies are called tetrachromats (latin for four colors, I think). It's not like tetrachromacy in other species in that they can see UV, but rather it's a color between red and green.

Originally posted by ChilledVoodoo
Some people claim they can see to the "other side" and contact spirts.
I highly doubt it. If you decide to consult with such people, I won't stop you, but don't give them money. Far too many people claim to communicate with the other side, but they're just charlatans that understand people and their reactions very well. Houdini exposed many spiritualists in his time.

Darold A. Treffert, MD, studies savants. A lot of information can be found here.

There are some interesting savants I'd like to point out:

• Daniel Tammet has savant abilities in mathematics, memory, and language, and yet he demonstrates very few autistic symptoms.
  • Stephen Wiltshire does actually have the ability to see a scene once, and draw it in almost perfect detail. Unfortunately, he is highly autistic, and his linguistic skills are sparse at best. He has recently been exploring the world of fantasy--the drawings of which are just as detailed as his realistic drawings. He usually draws urban scenes, especially cars (his particular love).
  • Kim Peek was the inspiration for Rain Man (amazing movie). He's basically memorized every single trivial fact out there. He knows every single road in America, and knows every single historical fact about every single American city, but he struggles with every day life, has no social skills, and can't come up with conclusions from all the facts he's memorized. He is the most famous savant in the world. I, for one, would love to meet him in person someday.

There are people that are trying to create technology that would allow us to become temporary savants. One of the technologies being studied is one that is typically used for psychological therapy, transcranial magnetic stimulation. At this time, it's not yet scientifically validated, but I'd keep my eye on this.

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 02:03 AM
link   
What I want to know is whether or not listening to classical music will make me smarter or does that just work for babies? Or is that a myth, too?

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by rrahim1

Please refrain from using one-line posts that do not contribute to the conversation. I can appreciate that you might have wanted to make a comment or make an attempt at humor but, in doing so, please make 'that added effort' to keep your post "on topic". Incidentally, I don't see the humor in your comment (I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt that you simply have a poor sense of humor).

Your 'tyrannically friendly' mod,

benevolent tyrant

[edit on 3/30/2007 by benevolent tyrant]

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 04:16 AM
link   
I think another interesting individual to read about is William James Sidis.

William James Sidis (April 1, 1898 – July 17, 1944) was an American child prodigy with exceptional mathematical and linguistic abilities. He initially became famous for his precociousness, and later for his eccentricity and withdrawal from the public eye. He avoided mathematics entirely in later life, writing on various other subjects under a number of different pseudonyms. --Wikipedia

I have read about a "reserve energy" that his father Boris Sidis had uncovered and taught to master to his wife and James Sidis. But the closest I could come to finding out what this reserve energy was is this website on Quantonics. I am not familiar with some, if not most, of the information there, so for now it seems like mumbo-jumbo written by someone trying to create his own language; but, that is my ignorance speaking. Maybe someone can offer more insight?

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 04:23 AM
link   
Please refrain from one line posts.

new topics

top topics

join