It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guantanamo Detainee Calls Home

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Guantanamo Detainee Calls Home

www.cnn.com

A Canadian detainee told his family in a phone call from the U.S. prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, that he wants to boycott his upcoming trial because he believes it will not be fair, his mother said Thursday.

Omar Khadr, 20, who is accused of killing an American soldier while fighting alongside the Taliban, had not spoken with his family since he was brought from Afghanistan to the U.S. detention center in southeast Cuba in 2002.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Well, I can only begin to imagine the emotional roller coaster that his family was put through over the course of this phone call. Certainly a scenario that none of us can even begin to comprehend. I have a serious problem with any individual, regardless of his crimes, being held without having charges laid against him or her, and no formal processing. If he is guilty of something, charge him and begin the formal process.

Mr. Khadr has requested to be tried as a Canadian, and not an American, but at this point, his requests do not seem to be falling on any ears.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 08:58 PM
link   
bush minor and his disregard for the rule of law will be a disgrace that will take America decades to live down.

[edit on 8-3-2007 by grover]

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 10:01 PM
link   
If he is 20 years old now and was arrested in 2002 that means he was 15 years old when they nabbed him. Thats attrocious. Holding a 15 year old kid is nuts. If he actually did fight it is doubtful that he had any choice in the matter.

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 05:26 AM
link   

If he is 20 years old now and was arrested in 2002 that means he was 15 years old when they nabbed him. Thats attrocious. Holding a 15 year old kid is nuts. If he actually did fight it is doubtful that he had any choice in the matter.

Agreed. And he's at Guantanamo bay when he probably was just fighting for his country... which all soldiers do. This is just stupid, now it's a crime to be a soldier and defend your country?

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThePieMaN
Holding a 15 year old kid is nuts.

That 15 year old 'kid' was old enough to get on an airplane, find the Taliban, fight for the Taliban way of life, fight against an international coalition, and attempt (or even succeed in) KILLING those international troops.

There is nothing 'nuts' about it. He's a soldier for the enemy .. by his choice.

Originally posted by Vitchilo
he probably was just fighting for his country

He's CANADIAN and he was in Afghanistan fighting with the Taliban.
It's not HIS country.

back

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 05:40 AM
link   
FF, I am with you on that 100%. I am Canadian, and I do support everything that you have said. However, if this individiual is guilty, charge him! I can't help but wonder why they would hold anyone for so long without any sort of formal processing. Is it they do not believe in the justice system? The individual is innocent? I mean, what is it? The thought of a 15 year old child being detained for five years without formal processing, well that is gut wrenching to even think about.

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
Well, I can only begin to imagine the emotional roller coaster that his family was put through over the course of this phone call. Certainly a scenario that none of us can even begin to comprehend. I have a serious problem with any individual, regardless of his crimes, being held without having charges laid against him or her, and no formal processing. If he is guilty of something, charge him and begin the formal process.

Mr. Khadr has requested to be tried as a Canadian, and not an American, but at this point, his requests do not seem to be falling on any ears.

Well, charges have been prepared, but not formally filed:

The chief military prosecutor for Guantanamo has prepared charges against Khadr that include murder, conspiracy, providing material support for terrorism and spying. The charges, however, have not been formally filed and U.S. authorities may alter them as they did this month in the case of Australian detainee David Hicks.

Remember that the rules for enemy combatatants differ from those of POWs. EC's can be held until the hostilities have ended.

Originally posted by Vitchilo

Agreed. And he's at Guantanamo bay when he probably was just fighting for his country... which all soldiers do. This is just stupid, now it's a crime to be a soldier and defend your country?

First of all, a 15 year-old is considered a man in many parts of the world, esp. the mideast.

Second, to Vitchilo: He was fighting for his country? He said he was Canadian. Who was Canada at war with?

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
Well, charges have been prepared, but not formally filed:

Prepared? I read that section as well, but what does that even mean? Prepared? Considered? I would rather see action.

Remember that the rules for enemy combatatants differ from those of POWs. EC's can be held until the hostilities have ended.

Well, I do not know specifics but I can grasp the concept that the rules certainly are quite different. However, I still stand against any person being detained without formal processing. There needs to be a set window, and within that window, something has to be done. If OBL was captured today, I would expect him to be arraigned or processed in some manner, in a set period of time. I would not support him being detained for twenty, thirty, or forty years, without being processed.

If this individual is guilty of a crime, hold him accountable and begin the process. This "lay over" is absurd. Although I guess you would have to be at Guantanamo to understand how it really works. Being honest, I don't think I want to know.

Just let me stay in my bubble.

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Under international law, and the Geneva Convention, there is no such thing as an "enemy combatant". He is, by every accepted international definition, prisoner of war. the term "enemy combantant" is simply a new definitition invented by the US to avoid having to obey international law.

If he had been American, there may have been grounds to charge him with treason, but as a Canadian citizen, fighting for the Afgahm government at the time (i.e. the Taleban), the US has no jurisdiction.

He's quite right. He doesn't stand a chance of a fair trail, given that the country holding him doesn't even recognise international law.

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by nowthenlookhere
He doesn't stand a chance of a fair trail,

Cry me a river.

I don't care. He chose to be where he was and he chose to do what he did. If he had stayed in Canada and went to High School instead of running half way around the world, to join the oppressive Taliban, and to shoot at an international coalition, then he wouldn't be where he is today.

He made his bed. He is now laying in it.

Tough cookies.

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

That 15 year old 'kid' was old enough to get on an airplane, find the Taliban, fight for the Taliban way of life, fight against an international coalition, and attempt (or even succeed in) KILLING those international troops.

There is nothing 'nuts' about it. He's a soldier for the enemy .. by his choice.

I have one question and its a very important one. How the hell do you know what he did or didn't do if he didn't even have a trial yet!? Your magic crystal muslim eightball? He could have been walking around shooting squirrels for all you know. They have farmers there that did nothing and they are being held. I don't know what country you come from but its Innocent until proven guilty in the USA as well as the right to a fair and speedy trial, at least until people like you started making decisions and changing laws based on someones religion.

So what if hes Canadian! Hes a Canadian-Afghani. Some people have a heritage. I was in Lebanon shooting snakes with a gun and I'm American.
OMG I think Im a terrorist! Did you ever think the kid was over there visiting at an inopportune time? Like I said hes 15 and maybe he had no choice. The Taliban werent exactly nice people and used to kill people for wearing the wrong shoes. Use your head before you make ridiculous accusations. He was 15 years old for crissake.

If you have a link to somewhere that has the forensics with the rifling matching his gun which killed the soldier or other such evidence I'd love to see it. Also how do you know he went there specifically to fight? The majority of Americans/Canadian of foreign heritage no matter from what country generally go away to visit not just for a few days but months at a time especially during summer. So how do you know he wasn't there on an extended visit already and got stuck in the middle of a war?

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 07:57 AM
link   

I don't care. He chose to be where he was and he chose to do what he did.

Says who?

Do you KNOW he went there of his own free will? Do you KNOW he wasn't coerced into fighting? Do you KNOW he intended to fight? Do you KNOW if he even did fight?

That's entirely speculation on your part. the point of a fair trail is to DISCOVER these things!

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 07:59 AM
link   

How the hell do you know what he did or didn't do if he didn't even have a trial yet!?

Oh please. An armed Canadian teenager is on the other side of the planet, on a battlefield with the enemy of an international coalition. He isn't exactly out on a science field trip from his high school.

Did you ever think the kid was over there visiting at an inopportune time?

yeah, riiiiiiiiiiiight. visiting a warzone in the middle of the school year, with a gun, and just playing with the Taliban. Sure.

a link to somewhere that has the forensics with the rifling matching his gun which killed the soldier or other such evidence ....

That's not how war works. It isn't a police action, it's a war.

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 08:03 AM
link   

That's not how war works. It isn't a police action, it's a war.

SO he HIS a prisoner of war then?

Make up your mind!

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 08:09 AM
link   

yeah, riiiiiiiiiiiight. visiting a warzone in the middle of the school year, with a gun, and just playing with the Taliban. Sure.

So do you also think all the Lebanese-Americans that were stuck in Lebanon for a week when war broke out there plotted to be there at that time for when the war broke out too?

You really need to get out and meet people because you don't have a clue. If a parent of an immigrant gets sick and they happen to be muslim and it happens to be the mother and she needs to go to Afghanistan where the taliban were she would not be able to travel around unless she was chaperoned by a male, so yes its quite possible that he went there during the school year. I know many Mexicans, Yemenese and South Americans that leave during the school year and go back to their countries for months. My ex is a teacher in a NYC public school which is predominantly hispanic and it was one of her big complaints that the parents take the kids for long durations to visit families & friends.

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by nowthenlookhere
SO he HIS a prisoner of war then? Make up your mind!

I never said he wasn't. He is a prisoner of war. Someone else here may have called him an Enemy Combatant. But as far as I'm concerned he is now, and has been since being caught, a POW.

What the government calls him ... that's another story.

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 08:26 AM
link   

So do you also think all the Lebanese-Americans that were stuck ..

Different situation. That 'broke out' quickly and unexpectedly. Also, the people were fleeing .. not caught on a battlefield with an enemy all the while holding and using weapons against coalition forces. Afghanistan has been going on for many years and it was widely known to be forthcoming when it did happen.

You really need to get out and meet people because you don't have a clue.

Could be. But in this case .... I think you are just being generous with the fella (because of his age?).

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 08:33 AM
link   
It is not nor has it ever been any skin of the United States ass to treat these people as either POW's or as enemy combatants... it is simply wrong, especially in this country, one that makes such a big deal out of it, to deny anyone due process... to do so like this administration has been doing is nothing less than an egregious disregard for the law that it has sworn to uphold.

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Could be. But in this case .... I think you are just being generous with the fella (because of his age?).

I think this kid should get his trial already and either charge him, sentence him or let him go. If he wasn't screwed up before, he will be now. Just look at what happens to kids in our regular prison system on US soil. Imagine what 5 years in Guantanamo will do to a child growing up in a place like that? If he wasn't a terrorist before, he may very well be when he gets out.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join