It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SF heading for a majority?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Sinn Fein are currently leading in the count in Northern Ireland, could Sinn Fein come out as the biggest party due to the DUP stance on devolution and power sharing?

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 04:03 AM
link   
All the counting isn't done yet, but it looks like it could be a tie between SF and the DUP. This could be interesting, if it wasn't so serious.

I'm not a Nationalist, but I can at least see Gerry Adams is making an effort to change. Paisley won't (or can't?) make a step. If he doesn't then the assembly won't get running and N.Ireland will be controlled by both the UK government and the ROI government, which will be bad for everyone.

BTW I didn't vote, mainly because of my above opinion.

[edit on 9/3/07 by jimboman]

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 05:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimboman
All the counting isn't done yet, but it looks like it could be a tie between SF and the DUP. This could be interesting, if it wasn't so serious.

I'm not a Nationalist, but I can at least see Gerry Adams is making an effort to change. Paisley won't (or can't?) make a step. If he doesn't then the assembly won't get running and N.Ireland will be controlled by both the UK government and the ROI government, which will be bad for everyone.

BTW I didn't vote, mainly because of my above opinion.

Since when has ROI had anything but an advisory role in NI? It is currently run by NI Secretary of State from London. I wasn't aware ROI has ANY say in the running of North. You'll be telling me next that Blair is handing over tax revenue's too....

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 05:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

Since when has ROI had anything but an advisory role in NI? It is currently run by NI Secretary of State from London. I wasn't aware ROI has ANY say in the running of North. You'll be telling me next that Blair is handing over tax revenue's too....

Apparently, and if I'm not mistaken, if the parties fail to get an assembly up and running then there's going to be joint authority between the UK and ROI. It's a bit of a sore point, but I think it's been designed to concentrate Paisley's mind.

Edited for typos.

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Apparently, and if I'm not mistaken, if the parties fail to get an assembly up and running then there's going to be joint authority between the UK and ROI. It's a bit of a sore point, but I think it's been designed to concentrate Paisley's mind.

Edited for typos.

Bugger that for a game of soldiers! We can't go through all the grief we have and them give in at the last hurdle. Bloody Irish can naff off back to Dublin....

I tell you what, Blair is and has been a nightmare. He's willing to trade away Gibraltar and the Falklands as well, despite the people living there not wanting to be given over to some third rate nations. Grrrrr

(Sorry, I'm a bit miffed to think that the Irish get any say in NI. Kind of makes a mockery of the deaths of many British soldiers and the trouble we all went through. I was in NI myself in the 80's and the things we had to endure.... dear me...)

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 06:37 AM
link   

in theory, yes...

but it will not be official joint sovereignty, Northern Ireland will still be British until a United Ireland happens (which is about 15-20 years). If the assembly fails, Brown takes over as PM, he will have no interest in the North so its likely that joint sovereignty may happen with Brown.

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 05:56 AM
link   
Yea. Like I said before, I'm not a Nationalist (or even a Unionist come to that), but I believe there will be a united Ireland one day. Why do I believe this?

Well, this is going to sound nuts, but I saw it in a dream! In the dream I was watching tv or something and saw Irish flags draped over Samson and Goliath, the two big yellow cranes that are the most recognisable scenery in Belfast. Also there was a banner with 20.. on it (frustratingly I didn't see the last two numbers on the banner). So it's going to be sometime in the next 93 years at least!

Call me nuts, but that's what I saw.

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
Since when has ROI had anything but an advisory role in NI?

- Since 1985.

This was when Margaret Thatcher and the tory Gov signed the international agreement that was the the Anglo-Irish Agreement.

I wasn't aware ROI has ANY say in the running of North.

- Then you'll appreciate the little history lesson, eh stu?

It is inevitable - and as fellow members of the EU we all have a degree of say in each other's countries anyways.

Besides, given the history & the way NI is it is the only sane way forward.

You'll be telling me next that Blair is handing over tax revenue's too....

- Do you mean like the Gov of the Republic of Ireland is spending serious money helping to revive and invest in Northern Ireland?

I wish to welcome last week’s historic announcement of a National Development Plan by the Irish Government, which is expected to provide €1 billion for strategic projects in the North as well as cross-border links. This is the first time that the national plan has included the Six Counties, and the spending of €1 billion is part of the peace dividend. We hope only a small part.

www.theyworkforyou.com...

Or perhaps the additional new money from the EU (note this is additional new money, NI has always done well out of EU investment)?

A consultation on how a new £325 million EU funding package for Northern Ireland should be spent was launched today by the Secretary of State, Peter Hain MP.

www.nio.gov.uk...

I tell you what, Blair is and has been a nightmare. He's willing to trade away Gibraltar and the Falklands as well, despite the people living there not wanting to be given over to some third rate nations. Grrrrr

- Well as I pointed out it was the tory party and Mrs T that signed the first international treaty giving the Rep of Ireland a formal say in the running of NI's affairs, not Tony Blair.

As for Gib & the Falklands?
Well I haven't seen any trading happening there and I don't expect there to be any done by the time Tony Blair leaves office - do you?

(Sorry, I'm a bit miffed to think that the Irish get any say in NI. Kind of makes a mockery of the deaths of many British soldiers and the trouble we all went through. I was in NI myself in the 80's and the things we had to endure.... dear me...)

- I think your view & attitude is based on an inaccurate view of the facts stu.

British soldiers did not suffer and die to stop the RoI from having a say in the running of NI.

They were originally sent there to try and stop an inevitable slide into chaos and horror given the intransigent nature of the opposing 'forces'......something which (at least to begin with) they neither really knew nor really understood.

Agreement centering on a shared and cooperative future is the only way possible way out of the mess.....as we are seeing at present, life in NI is incontestably better for just about all of the people of all these islands than during the last 30yrs.

Those in NI who see themselves as Irish in Northern Ireland (approx 42%) and those who see themselves as British (approx 46%) aren't going anywhere so if we're no longer to pursue the criminal insanity of wasting our youth, resources and time slaughtering each other what's left but politics and dialogue?

......and no, SF did not get the biggest share of the seats in the NI Assembly.
2007 NI Assembly election results

After 108 of 108 elected.

NORTHERN IRELAND: FINAL RESULT
Party.......Seats.......Seats+/-.......Votes*........ Votes %......+/-%
DUP...........36..........+6..............207,721.........30.1..........+4.4
SF..............28..........+4..............180,573.........26.2..........+2.6
UUP............18...........-9..............103,145.........14.9...........-7.7
SDLP..........16...........-2..............105,164.........15.2...........-1.8
AP...............7..........+1................36,139...........5.2..........+1.6
GP..............1...........+1................11,985...........1.7..........+1.4
PUP.............1............0...................3,822...........0.6..........-0.6
UKIP............0............0...................1,229...........0.2.........+0.2
PBP.............0.............0.....................774...........0.1.........+0.1
MPH.............0............0.....................221............0.0.........+0.0
ProC............0............0......................22.............0.0..............0
UKUP...........0...........-1................10,452.............1.5.........+0.7
Con.............0............0..................3,457.............0.5.........+0.3
SEA.............0............0..................2,045.............0.3...........0.0
Soc..............0............0....................473..............0.1........+0.0
WP...............0............0....................975..............0.1........-0.1
LP................0............0....................123..............0.0..........0.0
OTH.............1............0................21,993..............3.2........+0.4

Total valid vote 690,313 63.0 -0.1
Turnout 696,538 63.5 -0.5

Electorate 1,107,904
*First preference votes

What this means -

Northern Ireland's voters used the Single Transferable Vote system (STV) to elect members to the new assembly.

If a power-sharing executive is formed, it will have four DUP ministers, three Sinn Fein, two UUP and one SDLP.

Ministerial seats will be shared out by using the d'Hondt system.

Used widely across Europe, it is named after a 19th century Belgian lawyer and is based on the "highest average method".

Employing d'Hondt in Northern Ireland was a stipulation of the Good Friday Agreement.

It was felt to be a suitable election mechanism for use in a divided society, aimed at ensuring cross-community representation.

news.bbc.co.uk...

[edit on 21-3-2007 by sminkeypinkey]

posted on Apr, 2 2007 @ 05:35 AM
link   
WOW

the UUP vote collapsed

posted on Apr, 3 2007 @ 06:09 AM
link   
It did indeed infinite, so too did the SDLP vote, if not quite so badly (but taken over a couple of elections you'll see UUP & SDLP support declining and DUP & SF support climbing).

For now the (what some term the more) middle-ground has been squeezed mightily but I can see that leading to one of two things.

Either the DUP and SF actually prove they can work together, do 'real politics' and work this properly (which I have long doubted - but then again in fairness to them I doubted they'd be able to agree and do what they just have agreed).
Or they fail to work the institutions and the UUP & SDLP return to the public's confidences and see their vote rise again to return to work the institutions that were agreed by the DUP & SF.

One thing is for sure, now that the DUP have agreed to work the institutions they will have no credibility if they find themselves unwilling to do what they publicly agreed.
They could surely not start trying to return to & run the old hard-line anti-agreement stuff......or attack the UUP for trying to agree & work it.

Equally SF could hardly now reverse course and attack the very institutions they have spent decades striving for & agreeing to work (after years of dialogue and meetings in the UK, RoI, EU & USA).......and nor would attacking the SDLP on a 'west-Brit' type attitude be credible given what they have agreed.

Interesting times, that's for sure.

[edit on 3-4-2007 by sminkeypinkey]

new topics

top topics

join