It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People have Faith in Aliens/UFO's why not God?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gooey
As for the text I read? A standard issue 1990-2000 bible. I'll get the publisher later.

Ahh yes, the "standard issue".
Comes with a bowl of soup, I believe.

I was thinking more in line with King James version or American Standard or New International etc. There's a bunch of them. Here's a link for example- www.biblegateway.com...

My only point being, when someone begins talking about "The Bible" it sometimes helps to make sure we're all singing from the same hymnal, so to speak. Unless you can read ancient Hebrew or Koine Greek (which i certainly can't) you're going to be reading a translation which will have its inherent "issues" and brings up another topic altogether.

But I've taken this topic far enough afield. Sorry to the OP for that.

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrPenny

Originally posted by tezzajw
The Bible was written in antiquity and NONE of the people in it can be cross examined to ascertain the nature of their eyewitness reports. They are all long dead.

This goes in my 'quote' file. It going to be very useful if you ever pull the 'Anunaki', or 'Dogon', or old paintings showing 'flying disks'.

Please, file it. I don't pull out ancient evidence to prove UFOs are real. I only need to look at current evidence.

Your Bible is a stale book written by people who were never cross examined to verify that what they saw, was actually what they saw. The Bible is all hearsay, unlike many UFO cases that have proof to support the testimony of living witnesses.

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright

As for the text I read? A standard issue 1990-2000 bible. I'll get the publisher later.

Ahh yes, the "standard issue".
Comes with a bowl of soup, I believe.

I was thinking more in line with King James version or American Standard or New International etc. There's a bunch of them. Here's a link for example- www.biblegateway.com...

My only point being, when someone begins talking about "The Bible" it sometimes helps to make sure we're all singing from the same hymnal, so to speak. Unless you can read ancient Hebrew or Koine Greek (which i certainly can't) you're going to be reading a translation which will have its inherent "issues" and brings up another topic altogether.

But I've taken this topic far enough afield. Sorry to the OP for that.

XD Your not the only one. Lets you and I continue the actual topic and not try to get into the 'validity of the bible' stuff eh
? Thats a whole other playground lol.

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I think we've come to a STANDSTILL regarding: People have faith in Aliens/UFO's why not God.

IMO.

I've seen what has been posted and there are many issues that Can be/Cannot be reconcilled 'to be Accepted by the norm'.

This can be likened to butting our heads against the wooden door.

And for what?

To prove WHAT purpose?

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Duck, if humans applied that logic to everything, we'd still be in the 10th century A.D. We like to question things, we are an inquisitive creature. There is nothing wrong with testing our theories against one another, that is part of being human. The world isn't about dismissing things which are a challenge, thats just foolish and will get you nowhere. We are discussing this because learning interests us. We can share our knowledge with others and others will share their knowledge with us. Hell, I didn't even know we had the original texts from the bible. I learned something already, see?

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by vladmir
Im just curious, instead of saying 'God' will it be easier to swallow if you called it or 'Cosmic Intelligence'?
Or is even that too much for some.
(It is ,isint it!)

That's a lot of the problem, isn't it? God, almost by "definition," is indefinable, and for most people, God is more of a feeling they get than any kind of defined construct. "Intelligence" is one way of defining God, but even the Christian Gnostics came to believe that was an extremely poor human-centered definition, in that the true God of the Universe is unknowable, unimaginable, and beyond the ability for human beings to comprehend, let alone deal with through prayer or meditation. Even the "feelings" people have that lead them to consider the presence of God are really unable to encompass this thing that is not a thing, being that is not a being, this reconciler of paradox, and anyone who "feels" there's a God is just being fooled by their own physical genetically programmed aesthetic responses and runaway imaginations.

In the Thomas and Judas gospels, even Jesus laughs at the notion of that euphoric religious feeling his disciples would sometimes get, and his 3 Secrets were taught only to certain less-suggstible apostles who he felt would understand them. Those Secrets being:

1) God is unknowable and incomprehensible by human beings in any way,
2) the God most people feel and worship is an insane impostor entity known either as Yaldabaoth or Saklas, who only thinks it's the real God, and
3) life and existence as we know it is essentially an illusion created by the insane false God for its own ego gratification, and the only way to deal with it is to recognize it and transcend it on an individual level.

Thomas says after Jesus told him the secrets that he couldn't repeat them to the apostles, because they would stone him and kill him. And he was probably right. They wouldn't understand, and that often leads to violence.

In any event, the question remains, how does one "believe" in something that is incomprehensible? The answer is you can't.

What most people believe in is a convenient boogie man story they were told as children that was created specifically so that children and less intelligent, uncritical thinkers could have something to guide them -- the Old Man in the Sky who started the Universe and who watches over everything, to guide (perhaps "love") and to also severely judge and punish if necessary. Individuals then try to dress up the notion in various ways to that it "works" for them, although the problem is in the core concepts of the story, not the details.

The whole notion on the very face of it is so ridiculous and egocentric - that human beings can even begin to feel or comprehend any "thing" infinite and omnipotent - that it's shocking people will actually kill other people who don't go along with it. But that's how people are, I guess.

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Hmmm....Interesting standpoint. So your saying that god is undefinable because he exceeds the limits of our own comprehension?

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Duck, if humans applied that logic to everything, we'd still be in the 10th century A.D. We like to question things, we are an inquisitive creature. There is nothing wrong with testing our theories against one another, that is part of being human. The world isn't about dismissing things which are a challenge, thats just foolish and will get you nowhere. We are discussing this because learning interests us. We can share our knowledge with others and others will share their knowledge with us. Hell, I didn't even know we had the original texts from the bible. I learned something already, see?

I won't dispute this. I love learning new things myself.

Gooey, It's very hard for people to take a 'stance' in this day and age and I for one, DON'T dismiss all that is around me or the 'everyday topics' that are essential to OUR wellbeing.

(I agree with what you said, and yet sometimes I get 'fed-up' with the general nonscence that is portrayed on a daily basis).

That is my opinion and no-one elses, I know.

I try not to bury my head in the sand.

I just get sick and tired of all the lies. Just like everyone else.

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Heh, its life's greatest mystery. Why do we live at all? We never seem to know anything, we can only guess. Thats what is so mind boggling, there seems to be no reassurance in the universe. Every time something pops up that can lead to the origins of our creation something else puts it down. I think that if we live long enough, we will discover pretty much everything except one: Where did we come from? And that is the unanswerable question. Because no matter what you do, there is some hypothesis which screws it up.

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Ashley, I am a Christian also and I believe most "aliens" are really demons toying with us and trying to move us away from God.

Eventually the rapture will happen and millions of Christians worldwide will disappear in the "twinkling of an eye". Those left behind will be wondering what happened and then all of a sudden, for those who dont want to believe in the rapture or God, they will state aliens took them. I wouldn't even be surprised if world governments start dumping UFO info on the public then in order to show them that the "aliens" took their loved ones. There will be some who will believe this lie because the demons, who are pretending to be aliens now, would have fulfilled their mission into taking away the true reason why Christians disappeared.

That said, I do believe God created other life out there, but it is not some scary monster or some race of aliens heck bent on destroying the Earth. God doesn't create monsters, the devil does. What God creates is perfect. Humans are supposed to be his finest creation so I see no reason why he couldn't have populated other planets and galaxies with humans.

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Dude, I'm sorry. But I just have to say this.

You sound like you just came out of the mental hospital. You sound totally and utterly insane.

First of all, I'm pretty pissed off at how you 'assume' that aliens are bad. How do you know every alien in the universe just wants to make peace and study other life forms? How do you know aliens are just some bacteria growing in space? How the hell do you know that huh? You don't, dont EVEN start with me on this. I don't remember an alien ever blowing up your house with a magical ray, or did I just miss it on the news? Just because they are or might be (if they exist that is, which i believe they do) from another world, that doesn't mean they're bad. Thats just idiot's logic.

Second, how do you know the aliens are demons in disguise? I don't ever remembering jesus preaching about THAT in the bible. Thats just a bunch of made up poop on your part.

Third, if you even knew jack about the devil, his powers are very limited. He doesn't CREATE anything. The devil can't just make devils poof out of nothingness, he isn't god.
Demons are rebel angels, or fallen souls. Why the hell do you think he doesn't just make us all 'poof' out of existance? (if there was a devil, that is). Because he CAN'T. While he may be the, ahem, 'Ruler', of hell, he can't do stuff like that.

Please don't take this as a personal insult, because its really not. I'm just debunking your argument because it has MANY flaws. You, like many other christians, need to actually READ the bible before you start making claims. Don't just take the word of your local priest, because they aren't even directly reading from the bible (or at least, for the most part). Read it yourself, and you'll see what it REALLY says.

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by ozmorphus
What God creates is perfect. Humans are supposed to be his finest creation

Now what's wrong with this picture?

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Lol, thats exactly what I thought. If what god creates is perfect, why are we so IMPERFECT. Perfect is without having a flaw. 'Flaws' are based on what we see as 'flaws'. So if a baby is born with no brain, it has a major flaw. How is that perfect?

Somone needs to read the bible a bit more carefully

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Are are made in the Image of God, his most perfect creation...however we choose freewill. God removed himself from us as was our request.

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 10:21 PM
link   
We choose freewill? How can we CHOOSE freewill? To be able to choose something you have to have the ability to choose from the start. If we had to CHOOSE to be able to CHOOSE then we couldn't have chosen from the begining! Your not making much sense here, Ashley. Think out your posts a bit more

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Yeah I never got the choice to be perfect either. Where do I sign up? Then again, my idea of perfection may be totally the opposite to what many god-fearing ppl request. Mine would be warez and pr0n up to the eyeballs, a glittering array of lovely ladies gathered in my den, and Brad Pitt extreme makeover to match! Others would see this 'perfection' as sinful and ghastly.

Nope, I think aliens created / bred us. No 'free will' bs. They just test-tubed us and plonked us here.

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 10:51 PM
link   
And to be honest, that sounds a lot more plausable than half of the stuff posted on this thread

(But dude, you forgot one key thing to perfection: Big guns. Lots and lots of big guns. I can't believe you forgot that -.-.....)

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 11:08 PM
link   

That said, I do believe God created other life out there, but it is not some scary monster or some race of aliens heck bent on destroying the Earth. God doesn't create monsters, the devil does. What God creates is perfect. Humans are supposed to be his finest creation so I see no reason why he couldn't have populated other planets and galaxies with humans.

Right, so God created stingrays. But they're not perfect, they killed Steve Irwin.

Right, so God created crocodiles, sharks, spiders and snakes. But they're not perfect, they all kill humans.

Why does a God create 'perfect' things that kill humans?

Oh, that's right... before Adam sinned, ALL creatures only ate vegetables and plant matter. Sure, so the meat-eaters today decided to use their 'perfectly' sharp teeth to start ripping into flesh instead of bark and fruit - all because Adam sinned.

Religious dogma is so steeped in mythical, supersticious crap that it's beyond laughable that 'perfect' people can begin to follow it. The worst part is that we have governments all over the world that base our laws on this crap and we have to follow it.

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by tezzajw

Right, so God created stingrays. But they're not perfect, they killed Steve Irwin.

Right, so God created crocodiles, sharks, spiders and snakes. But they're not perfect, they all kill humans.

Why does a God create 'perfect' things that kill humans?

Oh, that's right... before Adam sinned, ALL creatures only ate vegetables and plant matter. Sure, so the meat-eaters today decided to use their 'perfectly' sharp teeth to start ripping into flesh instead of bark and fruit - all because Adam sinned.

Religious dogma is so steeped in mythical, supersticious crap that it's beyond laughable that 'perfect' people can begin to follow it. The worst part is that we have governments all over the world that base our laws on this crap and we have to follow it.

100% Agreed. If people spent 1/4 as much time following the morals of their so called god and less time worshiping them, we'd have a halfway functional society.

posted on Mar, 10 2007 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ashley_T

People have Faith in Aliens/UFO's why not God?

Existence of UFOs does not require blind faith. There is plenty of supporting evidence such as photographic and witness testimonies which makes it a real tangible phenomena. Even theoretical & applied physics can describe how these crafts can work without violating the laws of physics. The only reason we do not have ET/Technological information out in the open is governmental suppression.

God, on the other hand requires blind faith and can never be physically verified. There is nothing tangible to base faith on except a religious text like the bible. Even if we ignore evidentiary standards, the inconsistencies in the bible itself prove its unreliability. The fact that there are different versions of the bible which do not agree with each other does not help either.

Personally, I would like to believe in a benevolent higher being that watches over everything but it would be intellectually dishonest. I can not discount the fact that God is no more provable than the tooth fairy or Easter bunny.

[edit on 10-3-2007 by simonmagus]

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join