It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just posting my disgust...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 11:10 AM
link   
People like Paris Hilton and Britney Spears should not be idolized. It is a sad step for humanity. Just wanted to post my disgust.

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Newsflash! No one idolizes them. People like to make fun of them, make money off of them or use them for publicity/media purposes.

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 08:24 PM
link   
It is one of my only hopes in life that at some point, we as a society, will come to understand the lengths that some people will go to, to become famous. I mean, look at Mark David Chapman. He assassinated John Lennon to have his name recognized. Shot an innocent man, then sat on the steps of The Dakota to soak in the glory. Nowadays, we see pop stars participating in faux-weddings, suicidide attempts, racial slurs, "wardrobe malfunctions", anything your mind can comprehend, these people are prepared to do. Any press is good press. Has Spears ever been in the media more in her life than in the last month? Not a chance. We are buying into these games and reinforcing their need to be known. People like Paris Hilton need to be recognized, they need to be "known", and they can not be "normal" like the rest of us.

By buying these magazines, by reading the tabloids, or watching these excuses for a television show, we are enabling these individuals to get rich off of nothing. It truly, and honestly, makes me sick.

At this point, I feel for them. I sympathize with them. Spears especially who has two young children at home who desperately need her. Cameras, media, spotlight, who gives a damn? Stars seem to forget what is really important, until it is too late.

Let the darkness rise on their story, their lives, and the nonsense we put up with on a daily basis. There are real, honest, hard working people busting their ass to make less than minimum wage. Put their names, their faces, and their stories on the front page of the paper. That is something that I would buy.

[edit on 8-3-2007 by chissler]

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Well put, chissler. I'm gonna have to correct Paresthesia, though. Just take a look at all the young girls who think that Paris Hilton is cool. Absolutely disgusting...

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Oh, but those are the people our "intelligent" society looks up to. :shk:

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I think its sad that there are people who think the most they can attain in life is to become some blonde bimbo with an eating disorder. Honestly, the likes of paris hilton and britney spears give real women a bad name.

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth

I disagree. I think people "assume" that our children look up to them. It is my opinion that it is the media who looks up to them, which translates into the public being inundated with their crap. The kids that may look up to them, only look up to them because they are on the television we watch. Take them off the television, remove their platform.

The answer is simple. Point the finger at the mass media. They are the ones spewing this crap.

posted on Mar, 14 2007 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by chissler

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth

I disagree. I think people "assume" that our children look up to them. It is my opinion that it is the media who looks up to them, which translates into the public being inundated with their crap.

The people keep watching it though, don't they? I can't tell you how many gossip programs that are on T.V about these "celebrities" that people tune into by the masses. I personally couldn't care less what "Bollywood" stars are doing and I am certainly not interested in their political views. Yet, a large percentage of the population appears to be.

Maybe I am just a bit too cynical when it comes to modern day society...

new topics

top topics

join