It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My story of how I came to believe in God through the Holy Bible. (kjv)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 07:46 AM
link   
It definitely didn’t come from my parents or anyone else close to me.
I grew up in a hollow where the cops were even afraid to come to. It wasn’t the ghetto either. When the cops did come they were likely to get trapped in this place as the only two ways to get out would have burning tires laid across the street. So they usually didn’t come without a fire truck with them. When they came and were caught alone their windshield would get busted out by a cinderblock being thrown at it. Or their tires slashed if they stopped for an instance. It was a wild place to say the least.

Till around the early 80’s I guess law enforcement just got tired of my hollow so on Halloween eve the swat team came up in the early morning hours around 3 am. They surrounded our hollow from one end to the next. Unmark vans filled with the Swat came in. Word got out someone must of saw them. That was the most peaceful night I had ever known. You could hear a pin drop. Nothing happen. I mean nothing. The fire hydrants didn’t get turned on to flood other peoples homes. Peoples houses didn’t catch fire. Peoples cars didn’t catch on fire. Tires were not burning in the street to block anyone. It was quite. The swat lived up on my hills for at least a week. Some say longer I don’t know. Every Halloween Eve they came back. I’m no longer there now so I don’t know if they still go there now or not.

My parents were not the type to take us kids to church my dad was to busy drinking and my mom was to busy taking care of him. Most of the adults I knew smoked heavily, drank heavily and played poker. I mean everyone I knew. There was a church bus that did run pass my house on Sundays and Wednesdays and I loved getting on that bus and going to church. Now today its not the church I would go to. But it was the only one available to me and I just had to go.

Though I went to this church it wasn’t giving me enough. So I read the Bible starting at the end I like to know the end to something to see if its worth reading. So I started with the Book of Revelations. I was nine years old. I didn’t have the whole Bible I just had a little small pocket version of the new testament that a friend had given me. I read and read and read it. Couldn’t get enough of it. Then one day, not at a church, but alone beside my bed nine years old I asked for God to come into my heart. It was just me. A small child no guidance no one talking me into it. No one brain washing me making me believe their way. I often wished I had someone to show me and teach me but I didn’t. I couldn’t wait to tell the lady who patrolled the church bus. She was the one we sat with at church the only adult person I knew there. However, she was busy talking to another child on that bus the next time I got on. So I thought I will tell her my news next time. Next time never came. The bus just stopped running. I don’t know why, I just know it quit.

So now here I am a very young newly found Christian with no guidance. So I just read my pocket Bible as often as I could. My brother and sister got into drugs, and even drinking at the age of 13. I had no one except myself, and God. Today, I can see how He got me through so much. More than I could ever write about. I asked my mom about baptism I was nine. She said, “ Don’t worry about that your too young.” That was all she said about it. I don’t know what made me ask her it just felt like something I wanted. Something I needed. I felt terrible when she said that. I was sad.

I didn’t get the whole Bible till I was 15 and bought it for my self from my very first paycheck. I couldn’t wait to get it. When I did. I read and read and read. Still teaching myself. I took it everywhere with me. To school to work couldn’t get enough. When I didn’t have anything to do I pulled it out and read it. I got called to the principles office one day for silently reading my Bible during class when I had finished my other work. He asked me if I had a Bible with me. I said, “ yes I do. I read it when I’m done with everything else.” He just said, “ok” Nothing else. No one cramming anything down my throat. However, the other kids started coming around pulling their seats up to me asking me to tell them about God. The football players, cheerleaders, all different people. So I did. I asked the principle if we could hold a Bible Class a couple days a week during our own lunch time. He finally agreed as long as we did it during our own time. That was so cool. Several kids was coming up to me telling me they got saved and was going to church now. I thought wow that’s so cool.

Then a strange day happen in my life. I had to go to the library to get some books for a book report for school. My mother waited for me in the library on the first floor where people sit and read. I took the old scary elevator up to the next floor. I say it was scary because it was. It was one of those old ones that just didn’t seem like it was going to make it to the next floor. As soon as I got up there to this floor I was looking for the area to go and find the books I needed when a man looked at me with long hair, a long coat on and said, “Can I help you find anything.” I said, “No, just looking, for a book for my report.” He said, “why don’t you do it on the King James Version.” I just continue walking and didn’t reply. I was wondering what is he talking about. I know this sounds crazy but I didn’t know back then when I was fifteen that my Bible was a KJV. I didn’t even know there were different Bibles. I decided to leave after finding my books and it just so happens he ended up on the same elevator as me. When we got off I found my mother who saw me come out of the elevator and I went straight to her and said, “where did that guy go?” She said, “What guy?” I said, “the guy who got off the elevator with me.” she swore no one got off with me. I just dropped it and didn’t say anything else about it. But to this day I have never forgotten him and his words The KJV. Now I know he was talking about a Bible. The same one I choose to read and still read to this very day. But I have no idea who he was or where he went.

I noticed a family a few houses up the hill from mine always going somewhere on Sundays and Wednesdays and I asked them if they were going to church they said yes. Didn’t matter to me which kind it was. I still didn’t know there were different churches really. I just knew I wanted to go. So I asked them if they would pick me up and take me. They did and I got to start going to church again. I was so happy. Then I got a drivers licenses and couldn’t wait to take myself to church. I kept going to that church but now I could take myself. I got involved. I sang in the choir, got on the Bible Quiz Team. Went to the revivals. It was so cool. My brother whose a year younger than me was the only one in my family who would come and watch my Bible Quizzing matches as well as a guy I was dating.
Soon after I turned 17 some relatives visited that lived a couple of hours from me. When they were leaving they asked me if I would like to come with them for a couple of weeks. I said yes. They went to church and knew a lot about the Bible. One day while visiting, my uncle says to me, “ Have you ever been Baptized” I said, “No” The church I had been going to in those two years I never once even saw a baptism. No one even spoke to me about it even. I was so excited to hear that he knew a preacher who could baptize me, and within three days. I was nervous and scared and excited all at the same time. Even at the age of seventeen cause I had never seen one only read about it in my Bible. So I prayed for those three days about it, asking God if this is what He wants for me. Now the day of my baptism it had been raining so hard.

[edit on 8-3-2007 by Shar]

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 07:47 AM
link   
I mean one of those downpours, you know the kind. Then the hour before my baptism it just stopped. No rain Sun even came out. I was baptized in “Big Cub Creek” The water was so warm. I thought it would be cold from all the rain but it wasn’t. It was nice. There was only a handful of people there. My Uncle and Aunt and some of their neighbors. My family two hours away none of them were there. Still it was the happiest day of my life. They took pictures for me. I’m so glad to have those. As soon as we got in our cars and left the weather turned cold and rainy again. I just smiled and thought, “now when I see a day of cold rain and then it clears for a few hours warms up and then rains again, someone just got baptized.” You couldn’t take that smile off me for nothing. I was HAPPY.

A lot has happen in my 39 years of life. I am married and have 3 kids of my own. I pretty much still teach myself. I’m not a regular at a church anywhere I travel a lot and today I find it hard to even find a church that teaches from the KJV. So I continue to teach myself. No one crammed anything down my throat. I was not brainwashed into believing. I believe I was called at a very young age. I don’t brainwash my children although all three of my kids were also called at a young age. I had nothing to do with it. They came to me and asked me how to get saved. I was shocked to say the least. I’m not someone who teaches Santa Clause and the Easter Bunny like it was done to me. However, I do celebrate those Holidays. The kids know who Santa Clause is and the Easter Bunny even had their pictures with
them. I just didn’t tell them the false stories that came along with them.

Well this is the start of how I got to know my Lord and Savior. Like I said though so much more has happen through the years and if it wasn’t for my belief in God I am positive I wouldn’t made it through it.

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 10:16 AM
link   

You couldn’t take that smile off me for nothing. I was HAPPY.

Man that makes me smile so big lol.

Awesome, I really liked your story. It must be a powerful feeling to feel called like that. And then your kids too. It's almost like this "law of attraction" people are talking about. Same thing with your school friends...

I really love the way in which you have spread this to others. You never forced it down other's throat. You only support their wishes to learn more about it. It's seems very similar to Bruce Lee's opinion in his book which I love. "A teacher is a pointer to truth, not a giver of truth." He writes.

I am only left wondering - how do you relate to the other religions of the world?

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 04:31 PM
link   
that's the exact same bible that drove me towards logical thought, reason, and atheism. hmph, i guess the same book creates a different reaction in different people.

though i didn't start at the end, i went from genesis 1:1 to the back cover.

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Novise,
I am only left wondering - how do you relate to the other religions of the world?

Personally, it dosn't phase me. Who am I to tell someone else how to worship. That is not my job. However, if someone comes to me and askes what I believe in I would to tell them. If they ask me about Jesus I would tell them. Even if they are from another religion and they ask me I will still tell them. I just won't cram my beliefs on them. I will just tell them and in return I would want to hear about their beliefs.

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Enjoyed the read..........Thank you.

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I'm just going to go out on a limb here and say that this story was probably entirely fictional or is simply based upon real life with some added fiction. I don’t buy it, you’re trying so hard to make a point that you accepted God into your heart by your self without being brainwashed that it’s almost too obvious.

I don’t think non-religious individuals are even claiming that someone can’t accept God of the Christian Bible to be true without being brainwashed from a young age. Plenty of individuals have come to the same moronic conclusion without being brainwashed from youth. However, I’ll say that I doubt there are many that actually came to accept the bible without some sort of outside influence at one point in their life. If this is the case in your situation, then you are quite unique! I generally never believe people who make extraordinary claims.

And all three of your children just happen to follow the same line of thinking as your self without you influencing them even slightly? Yeah… sure.

I’m sorry, I did not like your story, mostly because I think you’re not being entirely honest. However I must stress that you should not put much weight in my opinion, I’m pretty much nothing more than a theist hating asshole.

[edit on 9-3-2007 by VladTheImpaler]

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Oh that's nice. Somebody has a different way of explaining things, and a different perspective than you. They are now "Not being entirely honest" right? Funny.

I think there are more influences there than Shar talks about. Doesn't mean I think Shar's lying, means we have different opinion of what influenced what.

But it's truly interesting how you would expect a "theist" to be so infallible, Vlad.

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 06:50 PM
link   

VladTheImpaler

I'm just going to go out on a limb here and say that this story was probably entirely fictional or is simply based upon real life with some added fiction. I don’t buy it, you’re trying so hard to make a point that you accepted God into your heart by your self without being brainwashed that it’s almost too obvious.

Sorry dude. Not here. This story is 100% truth. Trust me when I say no one I was around cared for any of us kids. All they did was drink, smoke and gamble.

I think my influence was the fact that I hated everything I was around. I couldn't stand it.

I felt like an outcast. I hated the smoke, I hated the drunkenness, I hated the gambling. I hated the hours my dad sat around the table with his friends all hours of the night on a school night and being as loud as they could be. I hated the fact that he got us up at 2 am to go on a rampage about something. I wanted something different. That’s why I caught that church bus, that didn't run very long. Like I said I raised myself. No one was there to influence me. How I wish there was though. I just know God watched over us. My spirit calmed my dad down some, I know it did. Sometimes when he was so drunk he look at me and his eyes would start to water.

Some of the nights with him were so long. There was the Russian roulette night where he called us kids in to his room oh my gosh I was so scared when I saw the gun in his hand. I dropped to my knees behind his bed where he couldn’t see me and prayed and prayed and prayed quietly to God. “ Oh please God don’t let him shoot my sister. Please Lord don’t let him. I beg you. Please, please Lord don’t let him kill her. Please.” Somewhere after the second spin of his gun he passed out. We scrambled and hid every gun and knife and the house. I don’t think I stopped shaking for hours. After that every time he got drunk my brother, sister and I would hide all his guns and knives. But that night had to be the longest unforgettable night of my life. That was just one of the many, many horrible nights I had. I had a lot of nightmares that continue ten years after I left home. Ten years After I Left Home. That’s along time. The nightmares were always about someone trying to kill me. Life was not easy.
Then there was the camping day. I was 16 and my brother I’ll call him G was 15. Oh my dad loved to fish and hunt. He didn’t go alone he took the whole family with him. We had the kind of cramped camper that pulled along behind a truck. It wasn’t to big, it was mainly to sleep in. Anyways, usually camping was the only time he didn’t really get to drunk. Usually it was a good experience but not this day. Oh no not this day. My mom had put a blanket down on the ground and was tanning and reading a magazine. Everything was calm. So I left for a hike. It was a beautiful day I must have walked at least 30 minutes into the woods when I heard a noise and I stopped looked around and I saw a beautiful deer just staring at me. I was like oh your so pretty. I thanked the Lord in my heart for letting me see that beautiful deer. And when the deer ran away I turned back to go tell mom what I saw. I couldn’t wait to tell her. That never happen. I never told her. Instead just as soon as I got back I hear some awful screaming. Mom still tanning, ignoring it all.

Mom, “what’s going on” She said, she didn’t know just G and my dad were arguing. So I went into the camper and there they were pointing guns at each other. Oh my gosh. They each had gun within inches of each other. I screamed, “MOM, GET IN HERE NOW. MOM, MOM.” She came. My dads thinking this is funny. He had this grin on his face. My brother had a terrifying look on his. He was scared to death. So was I. I begged both of them to put the guns down. Just put the guns down. My mom pulling my dads arm trying to pull him out of the camper. He wasn’t going to budge. So she grabbed G’s arm both of us trying to pull him out. My evil dad pulling his other arm. I actually thought my brother would be pulled in two that day. Finally, he got out and ran. He ran deep into the woods. I went behind him. Later that evening I came into camp to fix some sandwiches to take to him. My dad said , “no you won’t take him any food.” He watched me like a hawk. However, when he wasn’t paying any attention took a few hours. I did anyways. My brother didn’t come into camp that night. He stayed out in the woods. I was so scared. My dad sent me after him the next day telling me to tell him to come back. I said, “No I won’t not if your going to shoot him.” He laughed, he’s crazy. “I’m not going to shoot him.” I said, “give me the guns then.” Finally, I got the guns hid them and then went and got my brother.

Don’t ask why my mother didn’t leave permanently, I know she tried. I remember when I was six years old she took us on a bus, she was crying. I then remember being in a strange home. Then we went to one of my aunts and uncles home on her side of the family. Then in the middle of the day. I guess because the sun was out anyways. Here comes a man waving a gun screaming for my mother and us kids. I can’t remember everything that was said I just remember getting in the car with him. Not my mother just us kids. Then I remember a shotgun beside the door and him making us sleep in his room with him. I don’t know how long they were apart. I know she did come back. She left one other time I was 18. But still even then she came back. I still don’t know why. I know I would never take the abuse from a man today that she took from him. He beat her something awful, including breaking her jaw. She’s went through more than anyone should every have to go through in ones life. I feel sorry for her. My dad beat up her brother one night when he was trying to stop him from hitting her and us kids. It seemed like to me no one could stop this man. No one could stop my dad. I guess I was right he’s in his 70’s now and still alive. I know he is still controlling I know he controls my mother.

Still today you don’t get to speak to her unless you go through my dad and kiss his butt and talk to him first. So my brother never talks to them been about 7 years, he just refuses to even talk to dad. My sister ended up hating my mother. I’m still trying to figure that one out. Unless its because she blames her for not permanently taking us away. I don’t know. To me I felt like my mother tried. She was scared of my dad though. I do know that. We all were. Yeah, he has been in jail for his drunk behavior but nothing more than a night or two. I guess my mom never pressed charges.

The day came that us kids could of done something and we didn’t. We were in 7th grade my brother met me in the hallway at school. “S, lie just lie.” why “G, why do you want me to lie.” “if you don’t they’ll take us away from mom.” “ok, ok calm down.” I was scared I didn’t know what was going on. I went into the office where I was called and a counselor and some other folks were there questioning me about my home life. How they found out I had no idea. I know they saw how upset and scared I was. I remembered what my brother said to me and when they started questioning me. I lied. That too was a long day. My brother met me in the hallway “what did you say.” I told him I lied. “are you sure S are you sure you didn’t say anything. If they take us away from mom we’ll never see her again.” “I don’t think they will G. I did what you said.” My brother was right ours lies kept us from getting taking away. I just don’t know how they found out.

Because the fact I lived in a home with a drunk all he did was MOCK Me. He mock and abused us kids something awful. He was and still is to this day the meanest man I have ever known personally myself.

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 06:52 PM
link   
He beat us constantly for no reason just because he could I guess. He wasn’t a happy drunk he was mean. He did so much. I could never write down all the things he did. That would take forever. Just picture a mean drunk with a leather belt and a gun. A man who weighed 250 pounds to my 50 pounds.

Soon after I turned 18 I left home. My brother went into the military and my sister lived with a man. We all came through the same experience and all had three very different out comes.

I was always afraid of having kids thinking I would turn out like him. Didn’t happen. I have never once abused my kids. I don’t even take the belt to them. My children don’t know about gambling, smoking or drinking. Sadly though my brother has now been divorce three times cause he keeps beating his wives from what they tell me. And my sister well she’s never been married and has two kids and their around the same things we were when we were kids.

I never talked about this stuff to anyone growing up I was to scared too. Not even my best friends knew. I was scared because my dad always said, “If we talked about anything going on in our home he would kill us.” I guess I believed him. The first time I talked about it was one night with a man I was dating I was in my 20’s he’s now my husband. Him, my children and the world now are the only ones I have told. You know what---every time I talk about it, it feels GOOD! I mean it feels GOOD! I’m no longer scared of my dad and the night mares have stopped.

I was protected I know that now. God protected me. Know one can tell me differently.

So if you want to say I was influenced yeah, I was influenced by a drunk that I didn’t want to be like. I just knew there was something different. I found that through my Bible through the Holy Spirit who gave me comfort. Through God.

[edit on 9-3-2007 by Shar]

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 06:55 PM
link   

And all three of your children just happen to follow the same line of thinking as your self without you influencing them even slightly? Yeah… sure.

I don't know if I had influence or not. I know we still have not been regulars at any church. Travel to much for that. And, when we didn't travel I just couldn't find a church that taught from the kjv.

Yeah, I believe some people are just called.

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 10:02 PM
link   

VladTheImpaler

you’re trying so hard to make a point that you accepted God into your heart by your self without being brainwashed that it’s almost too obvious.

Well heres why. I was in another thread and people kept bashing Christains saying they have all been brainwashed. Stuffs been crammed down your throats.

I was thinking how rude, how judgemental. Nothing like that ever happen to me. No one cared enough about me or my soul.

So that is why I started my thread. I gave my persoanal testimony of how I found God. 100% the truth of my life. No Exaggeration just pure and simple truth.

[edit on 9-3-2007 by Shar]

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Thank you for sharing this with everyone, Shar. It seems that God can call his children to Him with just his Holy Word. I was inspired by your writing and I hope you have more experiences to share with us. I'm very sorry for the hardships you had to face growig up, but you are proof that adversity in childhood is not an excuse for bad choices made once we have reached adulthood. Even through the struggles you had as a child you let God lead you through His word. Thanks again.

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Well done Shar. Keep the Faith.

Roper

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 01:30 AM
link   
That story explains many things about you, my freind. What a wonderful and endearing story...

Biggest smile I've had all night...thanks.

WATS on the way for you...not the reward you deserve, but the best I can do. But it's bright and shiney...

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Thanks guys,

Though I was there and went through it I think my sister and brother got the worse of it. My sister cause she was the oldest and my brother cause he was a boy. I did too. I’m not saying I didn’t. I just felt for them a lot.

I will never forget the time my sister asked my dad if she could go roller skating. He told her “no, like about 20 times.” She was a kid of about 14 or 15 I believe. She wanting to go so bad with her friends finally he gave her permission. She was so happy. She ran downstairs and got dressed and went. I was happy cause she was happy. That didn’t happen much. However,

When she came back all happy and excited ready to tell her news of skating. My dad ripped his belt off and just started beating her over and over and over. He just wouldn’t stop. I was crying and screaming at him to stop. He just ignored me. I begged. My brother begged. My mother begged. I say he gave her about 100 strips that night. Saying to her over and over, “You know I didn’t want you to go. Yet you still went.” I still cry to this day. I can’t get the imagines out of my head. Some things are just so hard to forget. He, my dad is the meanest man I have ever personally known.

He always just wanted to fight my brother with fist. Of course he took the belt to him lots as well. Most of the time when we got beat it was for no reason. Not a good one any ways. My brother was tiny back then. Skinny as a toothpick. I heard him at night crying. One time he told me he was going to kill our dad. I was so scared. I begged him not too. I told him, “G, it’s not worth it. It’s not worth you going to prison the rest of your life for him. He’s not worth taking your life. Don’t do it. Just wait. One day he’ll die and go to Hell.” That’s what I told him. When he grew up and served time in the military came out got into the police force I thought for sure he would find a way to kill him. Instead, he just ignores him completely. He won’t talk to him or look at him.

Today old and fragile my dad wants us to come around. He try’s to give us the guilt trip. He love’s to say things like, “your mother needs you, she wants to talk to you.” When you do call he’s the one who answers the phone. I guess that’s why my brother stopped calling years ago. He just refuses. I still call. Although, I have to admit I get grouchy and am very short with him. I really can’t stand to hear his voice. I know that’s sad. But true. I’m 39 and it still bugs me to hear him, to see him. I guess that’s why I am short with him. I love my mother though. She’s everything to me. I can hear her voice all day.

[edit on 17-4-2007 by Shar]

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 07:44 AM
link   
A great testimony Shar.

Just one question...

Why are you so hooked on the KJV? Yes, it's a great translation, but I find it easier reading a more modern one like the NIV or even (shock!) the Message version. In fact if I'm doing a talk I tend to read the same verse in two or three translations just to get the point of it clear in my mind. The Message is great to read to kids when doing a children's talk cause they can understand that better.

I had the same problem as you after I became a Christian as I sort-of 'Church-hopped' round some of the traditional ones like the Church of Ireland (Episcopalian for those in the US) and the Presbyterian. Eventually I found my present church which is Bible-based and not associated with the mainstream at all. The Pastor even says 'don't take what I say on face value, read it and test it for yourself'. The majority of the time I find what he says is correct though. He doesn't even like to be called pastor so we just call him by his first name. 'A church without titles' is one of our sayings. Lewis, the pastor, is even on the rota to clean out the toilets! I'd like to see a mainstream church priest or vicar do that!

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Well as you know I started out with the KJV at the age of 9. Today, at the age of 39, it will be to hard to change.

I practically have the verses memorized. I stumble over anything else.

Plus, I know this is stupid but remember when I was in the library, and that guy said that. I just wonder if it was meant for me to stay with the KJV.

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Ok, good explanation. You stick to what you're comfortable with.

I myself find it hard to read sometimes, specially to children like I mentioned in my earlier post.

Go with God.

posted on Apr, 17 2007 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Thanks for sharing your very powerful story. Your courage and perseverance in the face of adversity is inspiring, and humbling.

I'm not sure I could've endured what you had to in growing up.

Anyone who can render Sun Matrix and madnessinmysoul relatively speechless in the same thread, well... I'm calling "MIRACLE".

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join