It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dollar Coins Missing 'In God We Trust' Mistake or Conspriacy?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Dollar Coins Missing 'In God We Trust' Mistake or Conspriacy?

biz.yahoo.com

An unknown number of new George Washington dollar coins were mistakenly struck without their edge inscriptions, including "In God We Trust," and made it past inspectors and into circulation, the U.S. Mint said Wednesday.

The properly struck dollar coins, bearing the likeness of George Washington, are inscribed along the edge with "In God We Trust," "E Pluribus Unum" and the year and mint mark. They went into circulation Feb. 15.

The mint struck 300 million of the coins,
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 3/8/2007 by shots]

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 06:49 AM
link   
This story has already spawned rumors in the conspiracy community via e-mail that allege this was done intentionally by the government or individuals within the government.

Accident?? No I do not think so, but intentionally certainly is possible. I mean how on earth can 300 million coins make it without anyone catching the error?

biz.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 06:52 AM
link   
I think I heard they think there is a maximum of 50,000 coins make without the edge inscription. If so, they will probably be a very valuable collector's item. If you get any of these coins look for the inscription.

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 06:57 AM
link   
As I mentioned in abovepolitics about this same topic, I do not believe that modern coining relies on progressive dies (coining using a series of dies to produce the product), so this tells me that they used a seperate set of dies to create these coins without the logo.

But why?

Why would the mint go through the expense of creating a second and different set of dies without the familiar "In God We Trust", unless they feel they may need to produce them in the near future.

Just my 2cents.

Edit: Scratch that. I just looked at the pictures of the coins. These slogans are actually stamped around the edge of the coin, not on the face. They do require a secondary operation, but still the US Mint quality control must be run by a group of monkeys.

[edit on 8-3-2007 by ben91069]

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
I think I heard they think there is a maximum of 50,000 coins make without the edge inscription. If so, they will probably be a very valuable collector's item. If you get any of these coins look for the inscription.

I saw that mentioned in the story however the latest article states there were 300 million struck. That is what lowered their value. The 50k estimate came from a coin collector according to the story.

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 07:07 AM
link   
I'm pretty sure that means there were a total of 300 million coins struck, but only some (maybe 50,000) of those are missing the edge inscription.

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
I'm pretty sure that means there were a total of 300 million coins struck, but only some (maybe 50,000) of those are missing the edge inscription.

Understood DJ but even 50K going unoticed is one hell of a lot of coins.

I am trying to gather all the conspiracy related stories on rthis now and here is one that alleges The ACLU has infiltraed the US mint or Government

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Checking various sites I see that the mints use two types of presses. One large press strikes 600 coins a minute while a smaller press strikes only 300 a minute.

The larger presses stamp out 600 coins per minute, the smaller 300, and one blow of the press strikes the obverse and reverse designs plus any design on the edge.
Source

At those speeds it would take several days to stamp out the coins.

The slower presses would make 7200 a day and the high speed 600 per minute would make 14,400 a day assuming of course they only uses lets say ten presses to make the one dollar coins and that is just guessing. Perhaps others might know the number of presses the mint
really uses.

US Minte Picture of the coin here

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by shots
I am trying to gather all the conspiracy related stories on rthis now and here is one that alleges The ACLU has infiltraed the US mint or Government

That article is junk.

In God We Trust
The national motto originated with Secretary of the Treasury Salmon P. Chase during the Civil War. Prompted by a letter from Rev. M. R. Watkinson, of Ridleyville, Pennsylvania asking for a recognition of "the Almighty God in some form in our coins.", Chase requested Congress to pass a law changing the composition of the 2-cent piece to include the motto "In God we trust". The law as passed on April 22, 1864. Eventually the motto appeared on many U.S. coins and currencies.

When the double eagle and eagle of new design appeared in 1907, it was soon discovered that the motto had been omitted. In response to a general demand, Congress ordered it restored, and the act of May 18, 1908, made mandatory its appearance upon all coins which it had heretofore appeared. The act approved July 11, 1955, makes appearance of the motto "In God we trust" mandatory upon all coins of the United States. (69 Stat. 290. 31 U.S. Code 324a)

Not the first time this has happened.

www.usscouts.org...

Sometimes mistakes happen. If these people can make 600 coins a minute, it would take one hour to make 36,000 coins. I am not exactly sure how you get the number 14,400 Shots - aside from bad maths? Surely they'd do like most companies do and factories do and if they needed to make 500,000 coins they'd do it as quickly as possible and not spend weeks or months making them.

In fact there are only 7 coins in circulation at the present moment (0.01, $0.05, $0.10, $0.25, $0.50, and $1.00 (two of these).

There is also more than one location of the Mint: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and branch facilities are located in Denver, Colorado, San Francisco, California, and West Point, New York. However only 4 of these make coins.

It is an easy mistake to make, it is no big conspiracy just bad luck.

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Odium

Sometimes mistakes happen. If these people can make 600 coins a minute, it would take one hour to make 36,000 coins. I am not exactly sure how you get the number 14,400 Shots -

OOOPs my bad I forgot to multiply the 600x60 = 36,000 then times 8 to get each shift amount. Even with the error as you pointed out; it still might take days, the mints only work one or perhaps two shifts a day at least according to a History channel program on coins.

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I think it was done on purpose in order to get people more interested in the coins. They have tried unsuccessfully few times previously to get the public to give up the paper dollars. What better way to get people interested than to introduce thousands of error coins to get people to get the coins just to try and find some error coins. And if my theory is correct, I think it is brilliant marketing strategy.

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 11:53 AM
link   
i remember from my trip to the mint in 8th grade the coins are hit with lasers that check the quality on the way out and also hand checked by proofers. it seems highly unlikly that that many coins could come out wrong. i seem to remember if they find one bad coin, they destroy and create a new die from the master as well as remelting all the coins made from the bad die.

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Other mistakes have been made in the past. Until I see a post from an expert on the subject of coin striking, this will all seem bunk to me. Also its funny that we have In God We Trust on our currency, when in reality most of the founders were Deists. So much for a Christian nation. I also vaguely remember them specifying that no Church would be the official state religion, this also included denomination.

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by CAConrad0825
Other mistakes have been made in the past. Until I see a post from an expert on the subject of coin striking, this will all seem bunk to me.

How do you expect for an expert to confirm something that happened inside the US mint where only employees are allowed and even each of them are virtually strip searched when entering and leaving?

The US mint according to the source articles state there were 300 million coins minted for this dollar and of that 150 million were minted in Phillie and that is were they think all the coins originated. The only one who lowered the estimated amounts was a coin collector, well golly imagine that so he could set the price high at first but that back fired when the actual figure was announced by the mint.

The fact is the US mint says there are or might be 150 million estimated and that takes a few days to make that many coins and it is extremely hard to believe no one caught the error at all in the mint.

Assuming the US Mint has high quality control standards which according to their web site they do, would mean, that the coins would be inspected at least once each hour if not sooner just by the machine operator or set up person and then once each hour an inspector would check to insure the operator/setup person did not miss something.

Using the estimated rate of 36,000 per hour would mean one machine can make 288,000 in an 8 hour shift each day.

Edit to add the one web site I found said the dollars would have been made on the slower speed (300 Per Min) machines which would mean that only 144,000 per shift for each machine.

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jessicamsa
I think it was done on purpose in order to get people more interested in the coins. .....
I think it is brilliant marketing strategy.

that is my take too,

but, in the symbolic & CT realms....
think about the [E Pluribus Unum] & [In God We Trust] slogans,

these inscriptions are are made on the edge of the coin which
symbolizes a ring or band that wraps around the Father of the country,
iow= the nation is completely surrounded by the 'Unity-Trust-God' memes

another subtle indoctrination, social engineering undertaking as 'we'
marshall our resolve to War against the Jihad

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by shots

OOOPs my bad I forgot to multiply the 60x60 then times 24. Even with the error as you pointed out; it still might take days, the mints only work one or perhaps two shifts a day at least according to a History channel program on coins.

You still have it wrong! Its 600 (coins a minute) x60 (minutes in an hour) x8 (for one standard work day shift) = 288000 or even better 36000 an hour.

So it is a minor malfunction that lasted less then 2 hours (if 50k were minted) or a major malfunction that lasted 12 days (if 3mil were minted).
Sounds conspiratorial to me, a conspiracy perpetrated by CTers to make it sound like there is a govt conspiracy where there isn't one!

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 01:08 PM
link   
This is what happens when you pay people low ball wages....You get low ball inspection on produced goods. Someone screwed up simple. If I paid my lab techs a low ball hourly wage I'd get a low ball hourly product and my doctors would use another lab.

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 01:16 PM
link   
It's no secret that the secularists of this nation have wanted to take the "In God we trust" inscription off of our money for quite some time. I think it's only a matter of time before it happens...

[edit on 8-3-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 01:33 PM
link   
It looks like the no inscription coins are going for like $250+ each on eBay.

There are also people selling coins with the inscription upside down, a different error.

apc

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I got a few of them and they were all screwed up! The head was on the tails side and the tail was on the heads side!

Meh... it's just like stamps. Sometimes they screw up a bunch and suddenly there's a new collectors item on the market.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join