It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DoD wants more mine resistant vehicles.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Link

OSHKOSH, Wis. - A new combat truck with a V-shaped bottom designed to withstand blasts from roadside bombs is performing with such success in
Iraq that the U.S. military is pressing a Wisconsin company and others to churn out hundreds more in the coming months.

About 200 prototypes of the Mine-Resistant Ambush-Protected vehicles have been deployed in Iraq since 2004, said Capt. Jeff Landis, spokesman for the Marine Corps Systems Command in Quantico, Va. No Marine has died while in one of the trucks, Landis said.

"This is the best vehicle available for safety and survivability," he said. "The MRAP vehicle supplies troops with the greatest protection we've had."

Commanders in Iraq originally said the military would need 4,100 mine-resistant vehicles, but they raised their request to 6,738 in mid-February after seeing how well the trucks protected occupants, Landis said. Those requests are subject to approval by Congress.

www.defense-update.com...

The ALPHA is a 13 ton 4x4 vehicle designed to be an economical path to superior blast and ballistic protection for the US Military. When coupled with PVI’s ShieldAll armoring solution (developed under cooperation with Battelle) the vehicle exceeds highly desired protection levels with minimal impact to payload and performance capabilities. Standalone, ShieldAll has multi-hit protection capability against 7.62AP threats at one-third the weight of armored steel. Alpha has can accomodate eight occupants. It has a v-shaped hull and is designed to meet or exceed all ballistic and mine protection capabilities specified under the MRAP requirement. The vehicle is also fully air-transportable, making it simpler to re-deploy once in theater.

Not surprise that the V-shaped hull is the future. The Alpha vehicle is just one of the vehicles that the military is going to be using. There are others that are in concept or prototype, as well as those that are in current production. But I'm glad its working as advertised.

join