It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

*Wham! Bang!* Marvel kills off Captain America

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 10:56 PM
link   

*Wham! Bang!* Marvel kills off Captain America

www.guardian.co.uk

As a symbol of waning imperial power, it is unmistakeable. Captain America, the stars-and-stripes wearing, blond and blue-eyed "pinnacle of human physical perfection", is dead. The Marvel comics superhero, aka Steve Rogers, is gunned down by a sniper in the latest instalment of the comic.

The death of the man who was rejected by the army because he was too scrawny, but went on to take a "super soldier serum" to turn him into the ultimate warrior, came as a blow to his creator, 93-year-old Joe Simon. "We really need him now," Simon told the Associated Press on learning of the death of his creation.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
comics.ign.com

[edit on 7-3-2007 by khunmoon]

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 10:56 PM
link   
A sure sign of the end of times.

Captain America DEAD..!!

The episode tells about The Superhero Registration Act brought in after supervillains and superheroes had fought during a reality show, accidentally killing hundreds of civilians.

Somehow the public likened the heroes to weapons of mass destruction that must be controlled, and Captain America is finally brought to justice. Unfortunately he's shot on the steps of the courthouse before he reveals anything.

Sounds familiar.

Anyway, I'm gonna get a copy before it's too late. The free world doesn't stand a chance without him.

What symbolism you put in this?

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 11:01 PM
link   
And just one other thing, thanks for spoiling it in the title...

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Sad news to me. I used to read his comic and watch the cartoons. But surely they will bring about another incarnation of Captain America eventually. Hell, maybe it was an imposter that got shot anyway.

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 11:04 PM
link   
The conspiracy here is that one of us knows

how he REALLY died. C'mon, fess up.

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Actually he was created to fight Hitler in 1941, obviously NWO can't have him around anymore.

If you read the article, you'll learn the next episode will feature his autopsy, and I bet something transgenic will come out of that.

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 11:22 PM
link   
the illuminati are attacking two of the 'spines' of america. jesus(da vinci code, newly discovered coffins), and the symbolism of america itself.

in real life, bush torpedoed the warship, 'USS america' and let it sink in the atlantic. link to navy site, may, 2005.

i'll bet he was watching it on CLOSED CIRCUIT and wanking.

i think captain america will come back as captain security and safety through torture of muslims, or something like that.

in WWII, 'they' used captain america to rile up patriotic fervor against the nazis. now, the nazis are american.

how ironic.

and, now, also, biblical batman, issue #666, "the war between evil and MORAL AMBIGUITY"!!!!

promo

(p.s. the address of d.c. comics is 666 fifth ave., NY, NY)

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by billybob
the illuminati are attacking two of the 'spines' of america.

That's a good point. Tony Starks was one of the few supporters of the Illuminati, and with him using Peter Parker as his side kick, there is a good chance he had ordered the assassination of Captain America.

Even when Starks tried to form the Illuminati, he has resistance, and his tactics weren't that ethical. There's a good chance he did it to keep himself as the hero ambassador of the registration act.

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Ok, I just want to know why "blonde hair and blue eyes" was part of the description? Is it now a crime to be blonde haired with blue eyes? Does it somehow make people of other races fear inferior? I would really like to know why this is now such a crime in our society.

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by XphilesPhan
Ok, I just want to know why "blonde hair and blue eyes" was part of the description?

I didn't see who posted this. Care to show us?

He has blond hair and blue eyes, because his character was made to symbolize America during WWII. Would you expect the creator to make him a Mexican-American, during WWII, trying to represent US?

Given that Hitler and Red Skull wanted to create the "perfect race," by creating the super soldier serum, but US got to it first and gave it to Steve Rodgers, Germany's image of the "perfect race/man" was created by America first.

[edit on 8-3-2007 by DJMessiah]

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by XphilesPhan
Ok, I just want to know why "blonde hair and blue eyes" was part of the description? Is it now a crime to be blonde haired with blue eyes? Does it somehow make people of other races fear inferior? I would really like to know why this is now such a crime in our society.

I really don't know Xphiles, but I'm sure the author never meant it personal, you gotta ask him if you wanna know. His name is Dan Glaister, he wrote the article.

Super heroes are above racial issues, but an arab Superman would be refreshing ...and Spiderman as Asian. Hmm... I copyright the idea on the spot.

But I'm sure Captain America will return ...maybe as an illegal immigrant, to save America.

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 12:11 AM
link   
i'm sorry.
666 fifth ave. WAS the address of d.c. comics. they have since moved to 1700 something or other.

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 01:06 AM
link   
I think people are going in the wrong direction with their interpretation of the authors intent with this.

This is just my opinion, but it makes sense to me. Captain America represents the US obviously, his death doesnt represent the end of America, but its decline possibly. And not necessarily physically, but ideologically of what America once stood for. The fact that we dont know what killed him now just means that we wont know what happened for sure until we can look back and see how everything fell into place for it to happen. Perfect use of metaphor in a comic I think, its not uncommon though.

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 01:41 AM
link   
According to the article it's a crime of passion he fels victim of.

The assassin is allegedly Sharon Carter - an intelligence agent romantically involved with Captain America - who is acting under the control of the super- villian Dr Faustus.

Not sure if there was duct tape involved, but somehow it sounds familiar.

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by ludaChris
Captain America represents the US obviously, his death doesnt represent the end of America, but its decline possibly. And not necessarily physically, but ideologically of what America once stood for.

i read 'sniper'.
JFK was captain america. he died a long time ago. like, yesterday.

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by DJMessiah
That's a good point. Tony Starks was one of the few supporters of the Illuminati, and with him using Peter Parker as his side kick, there is a good chance he had ordered the assassination of Captain America.

Even when Starks tried to form the Illuminati, he has resistance, and his tactics weren't that ethical. There's a good chance he did it to keep himself as the hero ambassador of the registration act.

is that the real marvel universe storyline?
'cause, if it is, WOW, 'they' are SO not trying to hide 'it', anymore.

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Just found out Umbrax had the story 12 hours prior to me... augh, insider information.

It's here www.belowtopsecret.com...

What I suspect he's busy reading his copy in the Braxcave right now.

Anyway I found out this, when I went there.

blog.abovetopsecret.com...

Marvel says the comic story line was intentionally written as an allegory to current real-life issues like the Patriot Act, the War on Terror and the September 11 attacks.

"Every child knew about 9/11," says Dan Buckley, president of Marvel Comics. "If [he] could see a TV he knew what 9/11 was. The other similarities [to] things going on are just part of storytelling."

It was a violent and strange end for an American hero.

Also reported the issue sold out already. Collector's item.

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by billybob
is that the real marvel universe storyline?

Yep. I thought that is what you were trying to refer to. Tony Stark (Ironman), called on the most powerful/influential mutants to a meeting, where he wanted to create a hero group that would lead all mutants. He called it the "Illuminati," but some of the members were opposed to controlling mutants. Proffessor X was one of the members.

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Aren't all the superheros zombies right now anyway?

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 8-3-2007 by zerotime]

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 03:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blueracer
Sad news to me. I used to read his comic and watch the cartoons. But surely they will bring about another incarnation of Captain America eventually. Hell, maybe it was an imposter that got shot anyway.

me too... Captain America taught me to read.....

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join