It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Food Supply in danger!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 05:46 PM
link   

You have voted phoenixhasrisin for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have two more votes this month.

Thanks for the best Survival forum tip I've gotten in weeks.

I'm going to spend tomorrow reading through those links. I've been looking into how to make our house as self-sufficient as possible in the even of a crisis, and the garden was the next logical step. I've already been working on my compost for a while now. I expected it to stink or be filled with vermin, but neither is the case.

Out of curiosity, I heard garlic was a bugger to re-plant harvested bulbs from, because it's inherently a diseased veg and ruins the soil for the next generation of garlic. Any truth to that? Or is it related to the monsanto thingy?

[edit on 3/8/2007 by thelibra]

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by thelibra
Do you recommend the people in that link?
And secondly, are there any downsides to harvesting the seeds from produce grown from heirloom seeds?

Yes I have used them as well as others. What I have found though is that anyone who sells seeds that are heirloom varieties and are located in one of the original 13 colonies are all acceptable to me and I am very particular.

As for saving the seeds no I have never tried that intentionally although some plants have volunteered on their own the next season and I never complained.

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by thelibra
Out of curiosity, I heard garlic was a bugger to re-plant harvested bulbs from, because it's inherently a diseased veg and ruins the soil for the next generation of garlic. Any truth to that? Or is it related to the monsanto thingy?

That's pretty much true with any crop, crop rotation is the key. I know people who raise Garlic successfully in the same raised beds for many years though. But yes, you will have disease eventually. Besides, I think the key is to raise it from seed, and not bulbs.

To stay on topic, it is related to the monsanto thing. We can't expect to create some perfect form of nature, especially when we are artificially propagating something.

Disease, and other problems come with the territory, and until people realize this, then science will just keep trying to create super strains of plants to feed an ever increasing population.

[edit on 8-3-2007 by phoenixhasrisin]

MBF

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Monsanto IS hording original seed. We have been asking for years to have non-gm seed, but they kept saying that there was no demand for them so they were not producing much seed stock. We were there demanding them. They just want us to buy their seed at inflated prices that don't produce near what is claimed. The technology fees keep going up, but the roundup doesn't kill the weeds that we were targeting. I just don't see how they can justify charging what they are for something that doesn't work as it is claimed

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Crop rotations.. fertilizers.... this could all fill multiple threads.

If you are serious about your agriculture you can always get soil tests done to see what your growing conditions are like.

We get them every year.

Its a very simple process of taking.. like a soil core sample. You get a report back in short time.

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 01:54 AM
link   
I thank all your responses here which gave me a lot of insights as to how I will adapt with the coming culture shock (heightened global awakening).

A great example of Newton's law of motion.. "for every action there is an opposite and equal reaction" but if there is no force there is no reaction.

A ball, no matter how much force applied to submerge it will always find its way to float. Likewise, no matter how much totalitarian power to suppress humanity, it will always come triumphant. No mortal power can imprison a soul. Only the devil can. And this is his objective along with theirs.

Therefore, let's have always peace in our hearts. God knows what's going on. Whatever disorder or confusion befall upon us or around us, We must
get ahead of finding meaning to this existence. Once we discover that meaning, nothing else matters. And remember we are made for others.

Our span of 70 to 90 years of life is not worthy of fear, worry and concerns considering the infinite time before us and the infinite time after us.

Please continue as this thread has a lot of knowledge to offer in regards to our basic necessity, that is FOOD.

ATS is a world of instant knowledge of the people by the people and for the people. Be it fantasy, truth or otherwise, it will leave legacy to humanity as the convergence of experience approaches.

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 05:10 AM
link   
before posting a few links, let me adress a misconception: GMOs are by and large not yielding more than conventional varieties yet their initial cost is of course much higher and damage due to side effects is incalculable, which means only people under pressure will give in to GMO sellers. these suicide crops in particular sound like a commercial failure in the making, so ideally, they will gain a predictably bad reputation, convincing more and more people that GM crops suck. the downside of course is that farmers will be bankrupted, their land taken over by the banks and, eventually, industrial agribusiness...

interestingly, the promises of GMOs have been all but broken, pest resistance, yields - you name it. i therefore hypothesize that agribusinesses are pushing these technologies at a loss to gain control and establish a captive market, but their pockets are only so deep. they are already resorting to desperate measures, like bribing their way through developing countries:

regarding yields and resistance: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Argentina's GM desaster in particular: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Source

Former White House agriculture expert Dr. Charles Benbrook calculates that the lost export trade and fall in farm prices caused by GM commercialization led to an increase in annual government subsidies of an estimated $3-5 billion.

Crop failures

Crop failures have already occurred with GM soya and cotton plants in the developing world. This is largely due to the unpredictable behavior of these crops. GM soya's brittleness, for example, has made it incapable of surviving heat waves. And in 2002 `massive failure' of Bt cotton was reported in the southern states of India; consequently, in April the Indian government denied Monsanto clearance for the cultivation of its Bt cotton in India's northern states.

considering these facts, it's no surprise that legal force is being used to push GMOs on unsuspecting and defenseless people. an occupied country is of course the best playground you can imagine: www.i-sis.org.uk...

[edit on 9-3-2007 by Long Lance]

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by prsbuff
I heard about some group in Canada started a barter system where money is out of play, and their successfully implementing it. This system was introduced a way back here in US before an audience. The system was originated in Switzerland and they started to spread it due to currency monopoly of the so-called Controlling Power working at the background of political and economic arena.

I hope some of the ATS members can do some research.

My remarks:

"The devil will sell us everything we see which God wanted us to have."

"Every molecular or atomic structure is present in this universe and it's free-flowing around us. And yet some power in the past harnessed it and made a kingdom over it."

"For every purpose there is a source, but without a meaning there is no purpose."

en.wikipedia.org... (Local Exchange Trading Service)

www.alternatives.ca... (Let’s Go Global with Barter)

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 11:51 AM
link   
A whole new thread could be made on the yields of organic vs non organic crops.

posted on Mar, 10 2007 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Another link on family farming takeover by the Committee for Economic Development.

www.celdf.org...

[edit on 10-3-2007 by prsbuff]

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 12:25 AM
link   
I started a new thread with inspiration in this one

Sure can't be said enough.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 11:43 AM
link   
One of the most radical (and perfectly legal) things we can do right now is to buy and grow as much of our food locally as possible. Because of gross distortions in the globalized economy, local food may cost more. But it is very important to support small local farmers.

If the value of the dollar dropped suddenly, or if the price of oil went up suddenly (both these developments are possible and probably likely) then the cost of, say, apples imported from China would jump. That would be harsh for people who are buying cheap imported groceries from Wal-Mart, but it would be a return to sanity.

Not only are small farmers being forced out of business by the lower prices of industrial farming. Farmland is also being paved over at a frightening rate, to build suburbs. When the day comes when we need our local farmland again, much of it will be gone. With any luck, we'll clear the decaying suburbs for farmland the way our forebears cleared forests.

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 05:20 PM
link   
www.wanttoknow.info..." target='_blank' class='tabOff'/>

"When he was the principal scientific officer of the Rowett Institute in Aberdeen, Scotland, Hungarian citizen Arpad Pusztai fed transgenically modified [GMO] potatoes to rodents in one of the few experiments that have ever tested the safety of genetically modified food in animals or humans. Almost immediately, the rats displayed tissue and immunological damage.

After he reported his findings, which eventually underwent peer review and were published in the United Kingdom's leading medical journal, Lancet, Pusztai's home was burglarized and his research files taken.

Soon thereafter, he was fired from his job at Rowett, and he has since suffered an orchestrated international campaign of discreditation, in which Prime Minister Tony Blair played an active role.

While Pusztai was fighting for his professional life, Cornell Professor John Losey was patiently dusting milkweed leaves with genetically modified [GMO] corn pollen. When monarch butterfly larvae that ate the leaves died in significant numbers (while a control group fed non-genetically modified pollen all survived), Losey was not particularly surprised."

www.organicconsumers.org..." target='_blank' class='tabOff'/>
Tons of info here on negative effects of GM seeds and Monsanto's coverup.

www.saynotogmos.org..." target='_blank' class='tabOff'/>
And yet more info here on the dangers of GM seeds.

www.mindfully.org..." target='_blank' class='tabOff'/>
Here's a paper on the dangers of GM seeds written by Ignacio Chapel, who was a teacher at UC Berkeley. He was fired for it, because UCB has Monsanto as one of its corporate backers. IOW, Monsanto built a new wing for UCB and in doing so, bought the silence of the UCB admin.

If you're still not convinced that GM seeds/food are dangerous, let me know, I'll find lots more linkies for you.

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 05:27 PM
link   
P.S. - To the person who wanted to know of a reliable heirloom seed company:
I use a company called Heirloom Seeds. They have the cheapest prices, good seeds, no charge for mailing and they're owned by a nice Menonnite family/group.

I always receivet my seeds within 4 or 5 days of ordering and they have a huge selection. I highly recommend them!

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 09:17 PM
link   
restrict the water supply restrict the food supply

that will get people to follow the rules, when u get lower down on the hierarchy of needs, the worst of human nature becomes reality and people will bend there morals and rationalize a wide range of shady behavior when they are fighting for survival

i would like to have the peace of mind that this couldn't happen 5 years down the road or less, but they will be the one's restricting water supply's they will be the one's restricting the food supply , we will be the one's lining up for the mark and thinking we brought this on ourselves "global warming"

hopefully that is a paranoid delusion it is comforting to think it is and then i remember the detainment camps everywhere and 9/11 and just don't know

[edit on 11-3-2007 by cpdaman]

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 08:05 PM
link   
I believe that tuberous plants cannot be controlled in the same regards as other GM seed. Safe to say, potatoes, yuka and mandioca become bland enough after awhile though.

Monsanto is just a money maker, long shot that they are tied into any food production supression.

Interesting fact regarding Roundup Ready plants.
One problem that they've had with RR crops is that if you plant soybeans one year, then corn the next, they just cant spray roundup and kill all the plants. There will be volunteer beans, and roundup won't touch them. They have to spray AGAIN just to kill the soybeans.

Stock up on tubers like potatoes and always grow them in your garden. You'll always have high starch foods then.

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I can't imagine this terminator crop had been plan since 1998

www.uhuh.com...

MBF

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by cpdaman
restrict the water supply restrict the food supply

Shoot, I got a letter today to go to the county agent's office and go over my water permits with them. They are only giving us just a few days to do this. They catch everybody at planting time when they are busy to come up with this crap hoping farmers will miss this so they can cause us trouble.

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 11:24 PM
link   
If Montsanto implements this plan, they've set the gears in motion for a world revolution in which they will be the first against the wall.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join