It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

YouTube Banned by Court Order in Turkey

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 07:10 PM
link   

YouTube Banned by Court Order in Turkey

news.bbc.co.uk

Access to the popular video-sharing website YouTube has been suspended in Turkey following a court order.
The ban was imposed after prosecutors told the court that clips insulting former Turkish leader Mustafa Kemal Ataturk had appeared on the site.

According to Turkish media, there has been a "virtual war" between Greek and Turkish users of the site, with both sides posting insulting videos.

The clip prompting the ban reportedly dubbed Ataturk and Turks homosexuals.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.timesonline.co.uk
www.shortnews.com
jurist.law.pitt.edu
news.techwhack.com

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 07:10 PM
link   
It's gonna happen more often in the future. Sites being banned and blocked.

How many of the worlds 250 countries do in fact offer unrestricted access to everything on the web?
I don't know, but my guess would be about 50.

Seemingly even so-called democratic states resort to the weapon of banning.

BTW Can you access extreme sites of Muslim Jihad in the States? I'd like to know... if anybody knows.

Personal offences against nationals, minorities put out by screwed users are causing this.
Like the row Brazil had earlier this year concerning some video of their supermodel Daniela Cicarelli.

How many are actually the number Google has been forced to move because of protests, legal threats or court orders? In the thousands I think.

It all comes down to, if you can't keep your playground clean, we'll close it.

A warning some users even on this board should heed.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 7-3-2007 by khunmoon]

apc

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 07:43 PM
link   

BTW Can you access extreme sites of Muslim Jihad in the States? I'd like to know... if anybody knows.

It would be impossible to legislate the banning of Internet addresses. The data is protected by the First Amendment. As long as copyrights have not been breached and no slanderous or libel statements are made, all is good. That only applies to sites hosted in the US.. Anything outside of US jurisdiction is fair game.

But these days it's a sure bet every packet that leaves the states headed for some jihadist website is logged at a hop or two.

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by apc
It would be impossible to legislate the banning of Internet addresses.

Why would that be impossible? You asked the provider by some court rule to blocked certain IPs, that would be quite possible.

The SE Asian country I stay blocks access to IPs at a rate of hundred(s) a day. They don't even tell it, they just do it. My nightmare is they shall close down ATS, so I take care not to slander that country.

What about China? They close every other site working their way through the web with the great help of American search engine technology.

Like Cisco and others.

apc

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Those providers would rapidly find themselves losing customers, and they know it.

I can't speak for everybody, but I know there are many like myself who pay for the connection to The Net complete with all its pitfalls and perils. If my ISP began denying traffic to certain IPs, which can be seen in a traceroute, I would just cancel my service and find someone who didn't.

Services that try to be "more than the Internet" like AOL and MSN would be the best bet to comply with any pressure to ban hosts. I don't know what user share they have anymore, but I'd imagine it can't be that big.

top topics

join