It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Define God, What is it to you?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 04:53 PM
link   
While conversing on this site for a few years now I have came across many religious people that have very differing views on what god is and to what their religion actually means. Now the fact that many religious people feel it their duty to try and convert as many people to their religion - whose god is the correct one and what version of the religion is the true one as there are many versions of the 'one' religion.

So please can you define god and the correct religion?

Just a thought!!!

G

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 06:40 PM
link   
I believe that God is the same which some people call the 'collective consciousness.'

It is the cumulative, united, force of human mind (all human minds) functioning as ONE. It is our 'higher selves' on the 'other side' (meaning simply the intangible).

It is not something that we actively participate in with awareness - for the most part, that is. In fact, I'd say that less than half of 1% of the population (if even that) are aware of consciousness and how we all affect it and are all inexorably linked together and essentially, outside of time and beyond the constraints and false illusion of separateness that having skin gives us, we are all ONE. I do believe our souls are individuals and are our own...but that we share in the energy of light which is the source of spiritual life. We are many but we are also ONE. When we quit competing with one another and realize that teamwork is the only way for anything good to come about for everyone...then there will be 'heaven on earth' OR 'the kingdom of God.'
Until then we are in hell. Same place...differing perspective.

As far as correct religion...there is not one. Religion is something that separates and contributes to our ongoing search for a God apart or outside of our essence.

Music is my religion. I'm not saying it is the correct religion or even suggesting anyone follow suit. I really would rather everyone regarded their relationship (or lack of) something totally personal and subject only to their own approval and God's (or not). Something open for discussion but not for any reason other than learning more and sharing experiences and insights.

The world would be a far better place if there was true religious tolerance. The best way for that is to keep it as a totally exclusive personal experience.

I hope that makes sense.

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I do actually understand and its quite good to get an insight into the main beliefs as it were. It makes me understand your posts a lot better from our previous encounters.
Thanks for telling

G

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 07:13 PM
link   
shihulud, I know that we frequently run into conflict with our beliefs, but very good post.

queenannie38, as is usually the case, a very good post.

I would define God in may ways, but I will list only 5, the first borrowed from the Webster's dictionary, and the rest although not original, the next most important definitions.

1) The Supreme Being of the Universe.

2) Love.

3) THE Creator.

4) The giver of life.

5) The giver of Eternal Life.

As far as correct religion, I believe any that is based on the precepts of loving and worshiping God first, and loving neighbor second. I believe Christianity is an excellent religion, and that Buddhism is quite good as well.

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Well I'll tell you what I think it is, but first off I don't try to convert anyone.

I believe that God is something different to everyone. I focus on what God is to me, when talking about God. I don't really see how anyone could see God the same way I do. I don't see how anyone having a personal relationship with God, would percieve him the same as their peers. Even though people sometimes try to act like they all "see" and experience the same thing when it comes to this.

To me God is something that is always there, never going away. He is a perfect listener, and he laughs sometimes. He seems to pay attention really close when I start talking to him, because I'm crazy and confused. Sometimes this makes him laugh, because He seems to know that "everything's going to be alright." He is and has 100% support for my spiritual journey. "God's will" is very foreign to me, I have no idea what he would want the world to look like. I start to think it's exactly how it's supposed to be. Sometimes I think that if God's will was one thing, the universe would be likened to a still photograph, not in motion as it exists...

I was brought up in Christianity, and now I am a big fan of Taoism and Native American Spirituality. I do not deny the Christian elements of what God is to me, they are really at the base of it...

I've grown tired of trying to figure out what God is in objective reality. I think our perceptions shape what God is to us, so I have told you what I think of him subjectively.

If someone wanted to be really hard on me, they could say.. "Novise, you are basically saying it's all in your head." I am saying that I see God through my own looking glass, which really filters the experience, just like anyone else. For the longest time I was just claiming Agnosticism, but it is just more honest for me to say, "Well, I do have some beliefs."

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by shihulud
So please can you define god and the correct religion?

I can only define GOD for myself - I can't tell anyone else how s/he should define GOD.

The same for the "correct" religion. I can only say what the correct religion is for me.

I can't tell a person what his/her favorite color should be. I can say all day that black is the best, I could even pressure someone into repeating this message to others. However, I could never force you to truly embrace it if you didn't like it or if it didn't agree with you. I see GOD and religion in this same light.

For me:

I am a Unitarian Universalist and GOD is the Guiding, Organizing, Designing process in the universe. Guiding might include the cycle of life, Organizing could include gravity or the laws of physics, and Designing includes evolution. In other words, "GOD" is just the way things work, it is how we live, it is ever present, it is you and me.

edited to try to actually make sense

[edit on 3/7/07 by wellwhatnow]

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 10:06 PM
link   
In all of the universe there exists energy. Energy that takes many forms many shapes. This is God in essence god is the energy that makes up everything.

God is not concerned with you, not concerned with me. cares as much for this world as you would be for a single cell in your body. Sorry folks god isn't holding on with baited breath waiting for you to prey to it. You in fact are a part of it.

God is the universe is everything in the universe. Other thain that. What God thinks about? No idea. Perhaps god is out there wondering if something bigger thain it exists beyond god.

Then there are the gods made by man. You put enough energy of yourself into something it comes into being. Many people believe Jesus is god. So therefore Jesus has power. Some believe that god is a old man with a white beard sitting on a throne and enough people have bought into this idea and brought this god into being. This is the god that waits with bated breath for your prayers, your prayers give it power. and you take power from it at the same time.

Gods come and go they get called various things. But the one God the unknowable entity that exists everywhere and is in everything, is the one true God the one that in its own existance has brought forth our existance.

Thats just my beliefs...

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 11:00 PM
link   
if i were to use the term god to describe anything i'd use it in the broad and general way that great thinkers like einstein and sagan have used it, metaphorically. i'd use it to describe the laws of physics.

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 06:02 AM
link   
The question is meaningless to me.

I might as well ask you; Define Brkzerkmuram, what does Brkzerkmuram mean to you?

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by VladTheImpaler

I might as well ask you; Define Brkzerkmuram, what does Brkzerkmuram mean to you?

Firstly it tells me it is a noun with the capital letter but other than that it has no discernable meaning or inference. However god does have a discernable meaning and inference to many and that is why I am asking as it allows me to understand where some peoples views and arguments come from.
I, being an atheist, sometimes find it quite annoying trying to argue a case when I have no idea on which version of a religion I am arguing against. But having a bit of foreknowledge on the belief system, then a more enjoyable debate can ensue.

G

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 09:53 AM
link   
God, to me, is the sum total of all the energy in the universe.

I think the universe, properly understood, is just as awe-inspiring as any other notion of God spawned by religion.

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 10:19 AM
link   
God is the undefinable, inconcievable, first cause uncaused source for all that is, has ever been, or will ever be.

The correct religion? BWAHAHAHAHAH!!! Good one. There's no such thing. The best you can do is the best you can do. Unto others. Mind your own business, help when you can. Once you start with the details, dogma, and ritual, you've lost me.

But that's just me. Carry on...

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Firstly it tells me it is a noun with the capital letter but other than that it has no discernable meaning or inference. However god does have a discernable meaning and inference to many and that is why I am asking as it allows me to understand where some peoples views and arguments come from.
I, being an atheist, sometimes find it quite annoying trying to argue a case when I have no idea on which version of a religion I am arguing against. But having a bit of foreknowledge on the belief system, then a more enjoyable debate can ensue.

G

I totally agree with you but as an Atheist the word god is utterly meaningless, I have no definition for it.

However, if we say we're talking about God of the Christian Bible, then I'd say God is to me the root of all evil, my opposite and the one I seek to destroy (and all its followers).

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 11:29 AM
link   

I'd say God is to me the root of all evil, my opposite and the one I seek to destroy (and all its followers).

Isn't that special. I love you too.

I'm willing to bet your teachers generally reported, "Little Vlad doesn't get along well with others.

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 11:40 AM
link   

... the one I seek to destroy (and all its followers).

Well well, you're going to be quite the busy little munchkin then, aren't you? Have a good time, look both ways and don't stay out after the street lights come on.

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by queenannie38

It is the cumulative, united, force of human mind (all human minds) functioning as ONE.

This would actually be a good description of the Borg.

God is a being. Sovereign of the universe. Distinct and seperate from His creation. Above His creation. He has always been and always will be. He is more awesome than we can imagine and has no equal.

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 10:24 PM
link   
This is from Chuck Missler

He is
King of the Jews
King of Israel
King of all the ages
King of Heaven
King of Glory
King of Kings
And Lord of Lords.

A Prophet before Moses
A Priest before Melchizedek
A Champion like Joshua
An Offering in the place of Issac
A King from the line of David
A Wise Counselor above Solomon
A beloved/rejected/exalted son like Joseph
And yet far more.

The Heavens declare His Glory
And the firmament shows His handiwork.
He who is
Who was
And Who always will be;

He is
The first and the last
The Alpha and Omega
The Aleph and the Tau
The A and the Z

He is the first fruits of them that slept
He is the “I AM THAT I AM”
The voice in the burning bush!
He is the Captain of the Lord’s Host
He was the conquerer of Jericho
He is enduringly strong;
He is entirely sincere;
He is eternally steadfast;
He is immortally graceful;
He is imperially powerful;
He is impartially merciful;

In Him dwells
the fulness of the Godhead bodily
The very God of very God
He is our Kinsman-Redeemer
And He is our avenger of blood;
He is our city of refuge;
Our performing High Priest;
Our Personal Prophet;
Our Reigning King.

He was crucified on a cross of wood
Yet He made the hill on which it stood.

By Him were all things made that were made;
Without Him was not anything made that was made;
By Him all things hold together.

He was born of a woman
So that we could be born of God;
He humbled Himself
So that we could be lifted up;
He became a servant
So that we could be made co-heirs;
He suffered rejection
So that we could become His friend;
He denied Himself
So that we could freely receive all things;
He gave Himself
So that He could bless us in everyway.

He is available to the tempted and tried;
He blesses the young;
He cleanses the leper;
He defends the feeble;
He delivers the captives;
He discharges the debtors;
He forgives the sinners;
He franchises the meek;
He guards the besieged;
He heals the sick;
He provides strength to the weak;
He regards the aged;
He rewards the diligent;
He serves the unfortunate;
He sympathizes and He saves!

His offices are manifold;
His reign is righteous;
His promises are sure;
His goodness is limitless;
His light is matchless;
His grace is sufficient;
His love never changes;
His mercy is everlasting;
His word is enough;
His yoke is easy and His burden is light!

He’s indescribable
He’s incomprehensible
He’s irresistible
He’s invincible

The Heaven of Heavens
Cannot contain Him;
Man cannot explain Him;
The Pharisees couldn’t stand Him
And learned that they couldn’t stop Him;
Pilate couldn’t find any fault with Him (the personal representative of the ruler of the world couldn’t find fault with Him)

The witnesses couldn’t agree against Him;
Herod couldn’t kill Him
Death couldn’t handle Him;
And the grave couldn’t hold Him!

He has always been and always will be;
He had no predecessor and
Will have no successor;
You can’t impeach Him
And He isn’t going to resign;
His name is above every name;
That at the name of Yeshua
Every knee will bow
And every tongue will confess
That Jesus Christ is Lord!

His is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever and ever, AMEN!

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 11:57 AM
link   
SO by the looks of things, religion doesnt really enter into it?? Its the relationship with a god that matters??? Or is this just the view of most of the theists that frequent these pages??

G

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 12:41 PM
link   
"Relationship with God" is a bullcrap statement, you can't have a relationship with something you don't know for sure even exists. The fact is that people who think they have a personal relationship with God are simply freakin' kidding them selves.

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 12:54 PM
link   

... people who think they have a personal relationship with God are simply freakin' kidding them selves.

Does it hurt you if I "kid" myself?

SO by the looks of things, religion doesnt really enter into it?

For me, it is my religion that assists me in forming the personal relationship with GOD. Like I said, I can't speak for others, but for me I would venture to say that the religion is the means to an end.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join