It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just heard something interesting on CNN

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 01:54 PM
link   
On CNN they were previewing a show they're going to air on Pork Barrel Government Spending and a Citizens Against Government Waste (CAGW) report that details how much was spent over the past year.

Well one thing they pointed out was that over the past year the U.S. Military has spent approx. 1 million dollars to search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence. And my questions is.....REALLY? I didn't even know that. Does anyone know what the name of this project(s) is called?

I don't think they're talking about SETI because I thought the military stopped funding that a while back.

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 01:59 PM
link   
[removed quote of entire opening post]

Is that million or billion? Please clarify... I have 'heard' reports that the DOD can not account for almost 7 trillion dollars of US $$$ - where did all that money go... (lottery tickets??). This can be attributed to black project spending - perhaps a needed black budget to defend the USA - but if the DOD can't account for 7 trillion dollars - its kind of weird...

Quoting – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 7-3-2007 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 02:01 PM
link   
They said 1 ((M))illion over the past year, not Billion.

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 02:04 PM
link   
They just said something else. If you can, tune into CNN right now and watch it for the next few minutes I think they're going to talk about it.

She said "did the Government really spend 1 Million dollars on a telescope to search for Extraterrestrials?"

Odd that they would use a telescope to find ETs.

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 02:06 PM
link   
radio telescope project in Puerto Rico

space.newscientist.com...

The 305-metre Arecibo dish is the world's most sensitive radio telescope (Image: NAIC/Arecibo Obs/NSF)

Funding cut, faces abandonment by US military

[edit on 7-3-2007 by robertfenix]

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 02:09 PM
link   
No, here we go folks...

$1,000,000 added in the House for the Allen Telescope Array in Mountain View, Calif. This “alien” project is part of SETI (Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence). SETI describes the telescope as “dedicated to astronomical and simultaneous search for extra-terrestrial intelligence observations.” No word on how it will help defend the world against an alien invasion.

www.cagw.org...

Scroll down just a bit more than half way down the page.

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 02:19 PM
link   
the Allen Telescope Array (ATA). Named after its primary benefactor, Paul “Microsoft” Allen,

www.thewavemag.com...

This innovative new telescope - a joint project between the SETI Institute and the University of California Berkeley's Radio Astronomy Lab (RAL) - is funded through prototype construction by visionary philanthropists Paul G. Allen and Nathan P. Myhrvold.

www.astrobio.net...

“They are interested in using the dishes for possible applications for what is known as ‘space situational awareness’ that is an important arena for the Department of Defense (DoD),” Welch told SPACE.com.

The U.S. Navy has a long history of doing scientific research dating back to the establishment of the United States Naval Observatory in Washington, D.C. where astronomer Asaph Hall first discovered Phobos and Deimos, the moons of Mars in 1877.

Current projects include a wide variety of research projects in optical and radio astronomy. When asked about the Navy’s involvement in the ATA project, USNO Scientific Director, Dr. Ken Johnston said that they were pleased to be a part of the ATA’s work.

“The United States Navy is always interested in basic research that may lead to technology applications for present and future DoD needs,” Johnston said.

www.space.com...

So in other words the Department of the Navy has agreed to lease the ATA to both spy on near earth enemy satellites as well as basic astronomical research.

[edit on 7-3-2007 by robertfenix]

[edit: added appropriate EX tags]
Mod Edit: No Quote/Plagiarism – Please Review This Link.
Mod Edit: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 7-3-2007 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I don't see how 1 million dollars spent trying to search for Extraterrestrial life is a waste when we're spending billions upon billions of dollars on this horrible war in Iraq. I emailed CNN telling them this.

They use the whole "ET" thing to get people to watch their Pork Barrel Spending crock.

PS - They're about to talk about it on CNN in the next few minutes.

[edit on 7-3-2007 by classified material]

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 06:19 PM
link   
This was mentioned on MSNBC as well. Isn't it ironic that the DOD is spending money on the research of ET. They have some 'splainin to do. Can they have it both ways? Can they deny having any interest in UFO's/ET and spend a million dollars on research?

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rotoplooker
This was mentioned on MSNBC as well. Isn't it ironic that the DOD is spending money on the research of ET. They have some 'splainin to do. Can they have it both ways? Can they deny having any interest in UFO's/ET and spend a million dollars on research?

They say they don't study actual UFO sightings anymore, but obviously have an interest in searching for ET signals in space. That still makes no sense to me. I'd be willing to bet a lot of cash that they do study UFO sightings in secret.

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 09:24 PM
link   
i'm surprised at the fact that you guys are surprised that the d.o.d./government is spending money on this research. $1,000,000 seems like chump change compared to the money that they should be spending. like kroms33 pointed out. there are trillions of dollars, unaccounted for, done, no trail, nothing. where do you think all this money is going, where? the only thing that really surprises me, is the fact that mainstream media actually mentioned this detail. i dunno, sounds like more mind conditioning.

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 07:01 AM
link   
basically theyre saying hey here is 1 million dollars. we've known about aliens for many decades now but kept it secret. sorry for not telling you, here's a million bucks dont get mad at us. but we appreciate your efforts in search of et's.

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Honestly, could people be a little more informative (and factual) with your thread titles?

Just heard something interesting on CNN

This really could be anything, I'd suggest something more like

CNN Report: $1M spent on 'Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence'

Pass the word around. Interesting thread though

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 09:18 AM
link   
What does a million bucks buy you? Not much. Considering spending half of that on equipment or maintence that leaves you just enough money to hire maybe 6 officers?.

What with this BS about trillions being unaccounted for and used for the "black budget" you guys do realize our entire budget is 2.9 trillion for next year. So I dont see how trillions can go missing when the whole thing is under 3 trillion...

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by surf911
What with this BS about trillions being unaccounted for and used for the "black budget" you guys do realize our entire budget is 2.9 trillion for next year. So I dont see how trillions can go missing when the whole thing is under 3 trillion...

Watch out with what you call BS..
You probably dont know what statement was made the day before 9/11..
The pentagon had lost track on 2.3 trillion dollars, that's $8,000 for every man, woman and child in America.
How you would like to know? Rumsfeld promised on 10 september 2001 that he would find this out, but the next day something awfull happened.. what a coincedence huh?

www.cbsnews.com...

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by 137

Originally posted by surf911

Watch out with what you call BS..
You probably dont know what statement was made the day before 9/11..
The pentagon had lost track on 2.3 trillion dollars, that's $8,000 for every man, woman and child in America.
How you would like to know? Rumsfeld promised on 10 september 2001 that he would find this out, but the next day something awfull happened.. what a coincedence huh?

www.cbsnews.com...

as if it'd be that hard for a group of terrorists capable of hijacking planes simultaneously to make it look like a coincidence that is detrimental to the US

[edit on 8-3-2007 by Well]

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 01:23 PM
link   

as if it'd be that hard for a group of terrorists capable of hijacking planes simultaneously to make it look like a coincidence that is detrimental to the US

What are you trying to say?
With "terrorists" you mean the high powers on top or the image created by the television of arabs in a cave somewhere in the mountains of afghanistan without a social life?

[edit on 8/3/2007 by 137]

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 01:32 PM
link   
They are only spending 1 million because it's a cover up because they already made contact. 1 million seems like a lot to us but it's like a dollar to them!

top topics

join