It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So You Hate Cops

page: 32
<< 29  30  31   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 04:19 AM
link   
...[resume]

Warrants must be specific in what is to be seized, searched, arrested, and the location of where those are permitted to occur. A time frame with a date of expiry is also mandatory. A warrant issued to search a house for computer equipment and John Smith in April is too vague. A warrant issued to search under the coffee table of John Herbert Walker Smith (DOB 01/01/1912), 100 Main Street, Washington D.C. issued April 9 2008 and expiring April 12 2008, and specifying computer data diskettes would be specific enough and thus adequate. If service of that warrant were delayed until April 13 2008, it would be invalid and any evidence or persons seized
would be unlawful and inadmissable. Again, read the 4th Amendment to the Constitution and Supreme Court opinions and rulings as well as case law. You can find this on the FindLaw website. Use Google, if you don't have it bookmarked.

As officers of the law, you agreed to uphold a higher standard of behavior for yourselves than would be expected of "civilians" should be expected to uphold. You promised to voluntarily conduct yourselves to a standard more strict than average. Expect us to expect it from you. If you can't keep your promise, hit the road and good riddance. You are not better than us or above us. But you are supposed to conduct yourself as if you were. You said so when you took the job. We don't have to appreciate what you do. You are bound to do it.

You are subject to our complaints, our suspicions, our mistrust, and our derision. Suck it up and put a cork in it. If there are some who want to worship you, then so be it.

My casual and subjective observations indicate that a vast majority of citizens would prefer your absence and/or the cessation of your existence (-----------------------). I know I clearly speak for myself. I have directly observed me having conversations with my peers who almost exclusively express the same level of enmity and contempt for what you do, and why you have chosen your particular profession. We don't like it. We don't automatically trust you just because you wear a uniform and say you will die for us any day any time. We don't know that to be true. We don't appreciate you. -------------------------. This may not hold true for every citizen everywhere. It holds true for the group I interact with and informally polled. In cubicles, in the park, at school (I'm always a part-time student), at the bar, at the bowling alley. Everyone I encounter everywhere who will speak out an opinion DOES IN FACT bear you ill will. Before anyone attempts to point out my family, I remind you that I do not interact with them and I won't miss them when they are gone. I anticipate their absence.

We as a group are no danger to you. We won't help you. If you are down, we won't assist or rescue you. We won't do your job for you. We know we lack the full qualifications. We'd get in your way and that would likely piss you off.

None of us ever remember you doing any of our jobs for us. No badge ever washed those pizza pans for me late at night that one semester back in college. As far as our rights extend, we will resist communicating with you. We KNOW we have the right to remain silent and we will not comply with you if we are subjected to duress.

We celebrate every one of you who expires. We mourn every day another one of you graduates the academy and squanders our money --------- and pay your bills. We don't have any plan or intent which may cause you to expire. But when something else does cause you to expire, WOOT!

[continued]

[edit] - self censorship represented by repeated dashes (--------)
also, "expire" might better be replaced with "time in service expires", to avoid a very faux pas. I leave the original text that I posted, though, so others won't wonder what I was trying to cover up.

[edit on 7/23/2008 by handinthebush]

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 04:27 AM
link   
...[resume]

Warrants must be specific in what is to be seized, searched, arrested, and the location of where those are permitted to occur. A time frame with a date of expiry is also mandatory. A warrant issued to search a house for computer equipment and John Smith in April is too vague. A warrant issued to search under the coffee table of John Herbert Walker Smith (DOB 01/01/1912), 100 Main Street, Washington D.C. issued April 9 2008 and expiring April 12 2008, and specifying computer data diskettes would be specific enough and thus adequate. If service of that warrant were delayed until April 13 2008, it would be invalid and any evidence or persons seized would be unlawful and inadmissable. Again, read the 4th Amendment to the Constitution and Supreme Court opinions and rulings as well as case law. You can find this on the FindLaw website. Use Google, if you don't have it bookmarked.

As officers of the law, you agreed to uphold a higher standard of behavior for yourselves than would be expected of "civilians" should be expected to uphold. You promised to voluntarily conduct yourselves to a standard more strict than average. Expect us to expect it from you. If you can't keep your promise, hit the road and good riddance. You are not better than us or above us. But you are supposed to conduct yourself as if you were. You said so when you took the job. We don't have to appreciate what you do. You are bound to do it.

You are subject to our complaints, our suspicions, our mistrust, and our derision. Suck it up and shut it up. If there are some who want to worship you, then so be it. My casual and subjective observations indicate that a vast majority of citizens would prefer your absence and/or the cessation of your existence and the existence of your progeny (due to contamination by virtue of proximity to your influence). I know I clearly speak for myself. I have directly observed me having conversations with my peers who almost exclusively express the same level of enmity and contempt for what you do, and why you have chosen your particular profession. We don't like you. We don't automatically trust you just because you wear a uniform and say you will die for us any day any time. We know you won't. We don't appreciate you. We don't want you stealing the air that belongs to us and that you don't deserve to partake of. This may not hold true of every citizen everywhere. It holds true for everyone I interact with everywhere. In cubicles, in the park, at school (I'm always a part-time student), at the bar, at the bowling alley. Everyone I encounter everywhere who will speak out an opinion DOES IN FACT bear you ill will. Before anyone attempts to point out my family, I remind you that I do not interact with them and I won't miss them when they are gone. I anticipate their absence.

We as a group are no danger to you. We won't help you. If you are down, we won't assist or rescue you. We won't do your job for you. None of us ever remember you doing any of our jobs for us. No badge ever washed those pizza pans for me late at night that one semester back in college. As far as our rights extend, we will resist communicating with you. We celebrate every one of you who expires. We mourn every day another one of you graduates the academy and squanders our money to feed your offspring and pay your cable tv bill. We don't have any plan or intent which may cause you to expire. But when something else does cause you to expire, WOOT!

[continued]

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 04:32 AM
link   
...[resume]

I realize this appears harsh to many readers, if not all. I can see how my words *COULD* in fact be taken harshly. C'est La Vie! I am responsible for communicating my point and each reader is responsible for their own correct or incorrect impression my words convey. If I say nothing that moves any and/or all readers, at least any and/or all of you and myself gave it a shot.

I condemn violent criminal activity. I also condemn suppression of citizens' rights.

Mr. Fortis, you've made some points in the content of your posts that give me food for thought that I haven't tasted before. You've made some points I disagree with. I appreciate both sides of your communication.I personally don't hate you. I personally like you not one bit. I would rather see a world without the NEED for law enforcement officers. I would have preferred that every one of you have some productive place in society. I would not miss the impending and imminent sense of oppression that I feel almost every waking moment of my adult life. That feeling is derived from the existence of your profession. I wish you all would find something better to do for entertainment. It would truly be nice to live among people who, as a whole, never feel the need of your "service".

I salute you, nevertheless.

[end]

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by handinthebush
We mourn every day another one of you graduates the academy and squanders our money to feed your offspring and pay your cable tv bill. We don't have any plan or intent which may cause you to expire. But when something else does cause you to expire, WOOT!

Who`s we?

If its "we" those who are not in Law enforcement.

Speak for yourself and not me or others.

Not all Cops are bad,just like not everyone else is a criminal.

Heck I didn`t read all of your rant,ever hear of keep it simple stupid?

[edit on 23-7-2008 by gps777]

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by gps777

Who`s we?

If you had read the post, you would have seen that the "we" referred to people I personally and directly interact with. I stated that an informal survey of people around me indicated pretty much general feelings of mistrust etc. Some people I interact with didn't want to voice their feelings, but most were willing. Those willing persons are who my reference of "we" includes.

Before you reply to anything here, go back and finish step one (read everything in my prior diatribe). Then you can attempt to contribute a sensible rebuttal with SOME chance of marginal success.

If its "we" those who are not in Law enforcement.

Speak for yourself and not me or others.

I was not speaking for you. I wouldn't presume to do something like that without your consent.

I defined who I was speaking for. I did ask if anyone I had inquired of would mind if I included their opinions, statements, and observations in a nonspecific summary. Those who participated did not mind being included in a non-personally-identifying overall summary.

Not all Cops are bad,just like not everyone else is a criminal.

Agreed. I admitted that I consider myself unlucky for never meeting unbads.

Heck I didn`t read all of your rant,ever hear of keep it simple stupid?

I certainly have. Let me help you with that... Begin at the top of my first post, proceed from left continuing rightward and in a linear fashion incrementally downward in a linear manner. When you get to the end of the bottom line of my first post, do the same but apply those same steps to each successive post (Lather, Rinse, Repeat kinda thing). The language is English and I tried to avoid sophisticated words where more basic words would effectively express my ideas. Should be a breeze, I thought. If you didn't find anything intriguing enough to encourage to to read it all, you could have abandoned it for a bad job and kept your insubstantial contribution to yourself.

You may not have noticed in the very first paragraph, I asked for cogent, coherent, and non-inflammatory replies. You confess that you didn't read the entire post. Your lack of understanding would be, and is, solely your fault.

You could have omitted that last part of what I quoted from you. Unless perhaps you were asking me to try to make it simpler for you because you confess to having an elevated level of stupidity. If that is what you meant, I apologize for misunderstanding you.

Let me know specifically where I can clarify a particularly complicated one or two letter word that stumped you. When we complete that hurdle, I'll help you practice vowels and things like that. I'll even show you how to get to Sesame Street, if you like.

[edit]

Ok, I went back to review my posts to see if I was perhaps ambiguous at some point.

GPS, I apologize for my humor attempt at your expense. I think I see where I might have be less than clear. The last several paragraphs each represent the general feeling of a separate member of the group I informally polled. That is why some of the syntax seems out of place. I did not clearly mention anything about each person = one paragraph. Or at what point that 1=1 began to apply.

So, some of that HUGE post was my own words and my own opinions or observations, as I understand or interpret my comprehension. Some paragraphs summarize the common perspective we all (sample group) similarly share. Where only one or a small few 'samples' had an opinion or point of view NOT representative of all of us, those exclusive opinions were lumped in other paragraphs.

My fault for not being thorough about stating that.

You bear some responsibility, still, for not reading the full text yet speaking out without attempting to understand the full information submitted. Had you done so, you might have been able to call me to task more specifically, which would have helped resolve the miscommunication more rapidly

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Just a reminder...

Please keep the responses focused on the Topic Of Discussion as opposed to individual perceptions of others' character and or person.

Thank you

» Social Issues » So You Hate Cops » Post Reply

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Good to hear,though doesn`t make sense when you write things like what I quoted above? unless you just dont give a damn away.

GPS, I apologize for my humor attempt at your expense.

Although I do appreciate this,there is no need to apologize to me and really I`m the first to admit I`m poorly educated and can laugh at myself,though that doesn`t make a person stupid,just uneducated,lots of educated people seem to think this way,go figure.

You bear some responsibility, still, for not reading the full text yet speaking out without attempting to understand the full information submitted. Had you done so, you might have been able to call me to task more specifically, which would have helped resolve the miscommunication more rapidly

Normally you would be correct,but if I were to read the last paragraph of a book where the author writes what you did,I dont need to read the whole book to understand him better,I`d know the book is rubbish and just pure hate for the sake of it,even though I`m sure I could sympathize with some if not all of his lifes experiences.

Because remember you wrote.......

That means you know darn well good cops are out there as well,but you still cheer when one dies.

I hope that attitude changes for you and your buddies one day.

signed the uneducated fella.
gps777

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by gps777
Normally you would be correct,but if I were to read the last paragraph of a book where the author writes what you did,I dont need to read the whole book to understand him better,I`d know the book is rubbish and just pure hate for the sake of it,even though I`m sure I could sympathize with some if not all of his lifes experiences.

That is so cool. If I send you a bunch of paragraphs to review, would you pick the ones that will become bestsellers? That's better than me taking a card-counter to Vegas!

Seriously, though, how can you claim to understand the full content and context of a post, an article, or a book unless you read the entirety? You don't suppose maybe there's something in there somewhere before the last paragraph that might give you a different insight if you'd digested it?

That means you know darn well good cops are out there as well,but you still cheer when one dies.

That would be a slight misinterpretation or misunderstanding. Some people seem to feel that way. I do not. I'm sure a lot of people don't take it quite to that extreme.

I hope that attitude changes for you and your buddies one day.

So do I. I registered my account after a couple years of lurking around here, because I really felt I had something to say about this. I didn't want to post anonymously. Semperfortis can probably use some honest answers about bad vibes in a good way. He seems open-minded, where others do not.

Hypothetical: A room full of redheads scatter everytime I come around. I don't know why. It will probably keep happening. They aren't happy and I'm not happy. Until they say why they leave, it will likely continue. Then one asks the rest exactly why each of them prefers to NOT be around me. She then tells me I have bad breath, a bad haircut, armpit odor, and my mother dresses me funny. I wouldn't like the facts or the message. A smart man would fix the problem, so I hypothetically clean up my act. Next day, they all dig me. Everybody is happy. That would be a better reaction from me than, say, calling them names and tying their shoelaces together.

So, if Semperfortis ever mentions this to other officers or students, maybe they tune things up a bit, eventually me and others become less uncomfortable in the proximity of law enforcement officers. Things could only get better.

Maybe other people will eventually find something sensible they can use at a town-hall meeting or a newspaper editorial or who-knows-what-else. Maybe it sets off a chain reaction leading to much positive results spanning multiple venues. Maybe in New York or Los Angeles.

That would make me happy. Maybe Semperfortis would be happy. Possibly many others would too.

Maybe I'm entirely full of sh*t, but somebody gets a different idea sparked by one single sentence I've posted. Maybe that idea would have stayed buried in somebody's mind had they not read my post. So, even if my words don't directly improve a situation... They might still trickle down and influence something good.

[edit] fixed grammatical error

posted on Jul, 24 2008 @ 12:51 AM
link   

You don't suppose maybe there's something in there somewhere before the last paragraph that might give you a different insight if you'd digested it?

As I already said,if I had read the whole book that doesn`t mean I wouldn`t or couldn`t sympathize with the authors experiences.Meaning yours.Say the book is of a Jewish survivor of the Nazi camps who lived through WW11,if their last response was that they cheer when any German died now because of therir ordeal would be equally wrong,maybe understandable but wrong.

That would be a slight misinterpretation or misunderstanding. Some people seem to feel that way. I do not. I'm sure a lot of people don't take it quite to that extreme.

zzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!! goes the fishing reel as the line flies off,I quickly buckle myself in to the chair,saying "slow down pal,I dont intend to hurt you its only tag and release,no need to hurt yourself and tire both of us out in the process.

Edit to add
and no I wasn`t baiting you,just in case it sounds that way

How could this...

We mourn every day another one of you graduates the academy and squanders our money to feed your offspring and pay your cable tv bill. We don't have any plan or intent which may cause you to expire. But when something else does cause you to expire, WOOT!

Bolding mine.

Be a misinterpretation or misunderstanding? that now you say....

Some people seem to feel that way. I do not.

bold mine

If you dont feel that way now,fantastic,because attitudes of those type of people who may very well have been abused by officers of the law still need to keep things in perspective that there are many good police officers,who are also good people be they fathers,mothers and parents and that type of hatred in your quote could and probably does end some of these peoples lives.

So do I. I registered my account after a couple years of lurking around here, because I really felt I had something to say about this.

I understand it would feel like a slap in the face that I didn`t read your whole post here,you obviously put a lot of work into it.I was hoping also you came to understand why.

I didn't want to post anonymously. Semperfortis can probably use some honest answers about bad vibes in a good way. He seems open-minded, where others do not.

Thats my opinion as well,also I think it understandable police officers get sick of being bagged as a bad cop simply because their an officer of the law by some .But that comes with the job and shouldn`t effect his/hers dealings with the general public,hard I`d say,but vital.

Oh and also welcome to ATS

So, if Semperfortis ever mentions this to other officers or students, maybe they tune things up a bit, eventually me and others become less uncomfortable in the proximity of law enforcement officers. Things could only get better.

Sure maybe,though if there are police officers out there that cheer when a member of the general public dies and purely because their just a member of the general public,that officer needs help big time.I think like wise of the people who cheer when an officer falls.

Maybe I'm entirely full of sh*t, but somebody gets a different idea sparked by one single sentence I've posted.

It was what was said in that sentence that sparked my response no matter what was said before it.

[edit on 24-7-2008 by gps777]

top topics

<< 29  30  31   >>

join