It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So You Hate Cops

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthseeka
Well, you're smarter than me. I'm more in the top 3% range.

And, I'd bet WITH you that there are not too many cops within that intelligence range.

I'd say, about 2 or 3% are in that range...

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 03:49 PM
link   
As was mentioned before, and confirmed by an officer, the fraternity of the police prevents any real change from occurring. After a while, it's easier, and more healthy to just avoid them rather than battle them. Often, any legal retaliation or attempt thereof ends in either further abuse of the complaining individual, or nothing at all. It's a sad thing when the best of the likely scenarios is that nothing gets done.

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by drconfused
but I wonder what do you do about it other than just bein on the guard? Do you contact the IA or the officers superiors about these issues?

No, you learn to adapt.

You start to distrust.

You start to evade.

And after witnessing it enough times...you start to hate. No different than how a cop feels about a criminal really.

[edit on 9-3-2007 by phoenixhasrisin]

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
Every claim of police brutality that I have seen here has been accompanied by the words "Officer arrested". There are bad apples, and they are held accountable.

Sure, becky.

And how many of these cases end with "officer acquitted?"

Geez, I dont know, truthceeca. Are you asking me to do your homework for you? You're supposedly so smart, in the top 3 percentile, it seems like you could do you own homework.

Originally posted by Rasobasi420

Don't walk too quickly away from an officer - see above"?

Where does that happen in America?

Jso, if anything this should show you that there is a distinct difference in your America and mine. Refusing to acknowledge the facts in my America doesn't make them go away. This is a good starting point for us to see the genuinely troubled situation this country is in.

No, it's the same America. It's our perception of reality that is different, Ras.

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I dont deny that there is an existing 'blue wall' or the fraternity of brotherhood within the ranks of law enforcement, but there are successful prosecutions of these 'bad apples'.. obviously there needs to be more of it in our society..
I guess what it comes down to for me, is that I will stand up for the good officer, but I do not tolerate a crooked bad attitude officer.

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Rasobasi, I want to get something clear. I don't deny that law enforcement is different in different neighborhoods.

What I don't agree with is blaming it on racism. That is too simplistic an answer.

The fact is, all neighborhoods are not created equal. It's up to the neighbors to make the neighborhood, not the other way around.

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Jso,

you're right. A black man who has been repeatedly, and unjustly beaten by the police would have a different perception of them than a white man who has not. Hence the reason behind this thread.

And, in regards to 2% of police being geniuses, I doubt it considering that applicants are turned away from being officers if their IQ is too high.

www.cartalk.com...

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 04:01 PM
link   

What I don't agree with is blaming it on racism. That is too simplistic an answer.

I must have missed that.

Could you point out where that happened in this thread?

Thanks

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Jso,

you're right. A black man who has been repeatedly, and unjustly beaten by the police would have a different perception of them than a white man who has not. Hence the reason behind this thread.

And, in regards to 2% of police being geniuses, I doubt it considering that applicants are turned away from being officers if their IQ is too high.

www.cartalk.com...

That's one case, and not representative of law enforcement in general.

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by drconfused
I dont make the claim that officers are more trained than the average civilian on the basis of cop mantra, I make this through an educated assumption and having looked at some of law enforcement training.
And Ras thanks for clarifying that the difference of an average civilian to someone who encounters these problems daily, but I wonder what do you do about it other than just bein on the guard? Do you contact the IA or the officers superiors about these issues?

The whole A.I. issue has always made me wonder. Cause to me A.I. is kinda ...well...Like the government investigating the government? My point kinda covers government employee's across the board. I feel they have to many investigations and hearings and board of appeals. If I screwed up on a medical device for a doctor..That would be it he would use another lab. The only good these days I hate to say it are lawyers. At lest now you can sue anyone for anything. And in those terms a bad cop you can bring under a civil suite for just about anything.

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by phoenixhasrisin

I must have missed that.

Could you point out where that happened in this thread?

Thanks

Well, there's been an undercurrent of racism, such as:

Had police been better trained in policing a community through community action, and community support, there would be no need for the average black person to fear the police.

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Geez, I dont know, truthceeca. Are you asking me to do your homework for you? You're supposedly so smart, in the top 3 percentile, it seems like you could do you own homework.

I wasn't asking you to answer; it was a rhetorical question. Off the dome though, the Rodney King ass whooping and the African immigrant murder in New York are 2 examples. Sure, two of the po pos were convicted of violating King's civil rights, but ALL FOUR were acquitted of whooping his ass, despite the ENTIRE COUNTRY seeing them do it.

As for the immigrant, those penelopes were acquitted of murder.

No, it's the same America. It's our perception of reality that is different, Ras.

Ha. I've already shown in my white privilege thread that this is CLEARLY not the case.

[edit on 9-3-2007 by truthseeka]

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by tsloan
The whole A.I. issue has always made me wonder. Cause to me A.I. is kinda ...well...Like the government investigating the government? My point kinda covers government employee's across the board. I feel they have to many investigations and hearings and board of appeals. If I screwed up on a medical device for a doctor..That would be it he would use another lab. The only good these days I hate to say it are lawyers. At lest now you can sue anyone for anything. And in those terms a bad cop you can bring under a civil suite for just about anything.

When I see AI, I think Artificial Intelligence. When I see IA, I think Internal Affairs.

Most major cities have civilian review boards that supplement the IA dept. Plus, most cops I know cringe when hey hear IA; it's not a cover-up operation.

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 04:56 PM
link   

I wasn't asking you to answer; it was a rhetorical question. Off the dome though, the Rodney King ass whooping and the African immigrant murder in New York are 2 examples. Sure, two of the po pos were convicted of violating King's civil rights, but ALL FOUR were acquitted of whooping his ass, despite the ENTIRE COUNTRY seeing them do it.

As for the immigrant, those penelopes were acquitted of murder.

Anecdotal evidence. It doesn't show any trends. And King deserved to get his ass whomped, the big dumbass.

Ha. I've already shown in my white privilege thread that this is CLEARLY not the case.

I must have missed that.

[edit on 9-3-2007 by jsobecky]

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Add me to the list of people who don't hate cops. Being a cop was the worst job I ever had - thankless, underpaid, and dangerous. You rub elbows daily with the underbelly of society and are witness to brutal violence, people living in squalor, and the most horrifying acts of abuse and neglect towards children.

We were caught between the bad guys and a city administration that changed policies with the prevailing political wind. We were target practice for certain lawyers and judges.

This is all made worse by corruption both in the force and in those who have oversight. I recall ticket quotas, ticket "fixing," racial profiling, brutality, pinching drugs, evidence tampering, and harrassment.

Nope, I don't hate cops. I feel sorry for them. I'm glad I made it out.

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Well said, becky.

Thanks for living down to my expectations of you.

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Disclaimer: In many of the following statements, I'm taking quotes from posters here and making them about black people instead of cops to show a point. I DO NOT feel this way. I have used the word "Example" to illustrate when I'm just making a point.

I can't believe some of you guys hating on the police like it's not a group made up of individuals. You guys are the FIRST to cry racism when people say or think anything about blacks as a group, but since your personal experience supposedly tells you otherwise, it's perfectly ok to hate on cops.

Well, it's just as bad as practicing racism to say that cops are like this and cops are like that. It's EXACTLY the same thing as saying blacks are like this and blacks are like that.

You must understand that it's not easy to differentiate the "bad apples" when every boy in blue shows the same attitude, anger, and flat out racism towards a populous.

Example:
"Trust me. it's not easy to differentiate the the bad apples from the good when every young black man shows the same attitude, anger and flat-out hatred towards whites, either."

But how easy it is shouldn't matter. Because unless you're willing to take the time and keep your mind open and refrain from judging the whole because "it's not easy", then you're as bad as any racist, because you're doing EXACTLY the same thing. You're stereotyping.

I've NEVER had a good experience with the po pos.

Example:
"And I've NEVER had a good experience with the darkies"...

How's that any different than what you said? It's not.

There are good cops out there. Plenty of REALLY GOOD cops. We have a lot in the town I live in. And there are bad cops. Plenty of them. Really bad ones. They are people. Not super-human. The point is that if you apply a brush to ALL cops because of your experiences with a few, you're practicing bigotry every bit as bad as racism.

No doubt there are some police who are Muslim, but that's not the same as being a klansman. And police who are involved with the modern Black Panther party are not necessarily black supremacists. Whereas white officers who are not undercover, but members of, or supporters of the KKK are white supremecists.

It's so funny how you're willing to separate out the cops into their respective good/bad apple categories when you're talking about black cops but you don't make the same distinction with white cops.

What about good white cops? Are there any good white cops?

Yes I hate cops, as do many people, and we have a damned good reason to!

I don't know where you live, or how you operate, as I do realize that not all cops are the same. I do know this though, birds of a feather flock together...

Many people could say the very same thing about blacks because every experience they've had with blacks has been terrible. Is that ok? Is this double standard ok with you?

Example:
"Yes I hate blacks, as do many people, and we have a damned good reason to!

I don't know where you live, or how you operate, as I do realize that not all blacks are the same. I do know this though, birds of a feather flock together..."

That's the most racist statement I can imagine!

How long before a pattern is acknowledged?

Example:
"How long before we can acknowledge a pattern of violence, hatred, criminal behavior, irresponsibility and drug use to blacks? Are there just a few bad apples that spoil it for the rest of y'all"?

The police assault innocent people, and that's a fact of life.

Example:
"And blacks brutally murder innocent people, And that's a fact of life."

So, by this time, I entirely sick of the double standards I'm seeing here. It's apparently OK for some of you to group cops together and hate on them and call them slurs, but it's not ok to do it to black people. Yeah, some cops abuse their authority. So do some priests, some teachers, some judges, some fathers some bosses. But to group them and hate them is bigotry, pure and simple.

Some black people abuse their power, too. The power they get from a gun or money or a knife or their fist or the power in numbers. They get their power from a different source, but it's abuse of power all the same. But it's only bigotry to group them all together and hate on blacks because of what SOME do.

But, hey... birds of a feather flock together, right?

[edit on 9-3-2007 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I'm also one of the people who supports the police. I think that it must be one of the most difficult careers out there. You experience so much of the bottom dwelling scumsuckers that our society has (lawyers) and the criminal element as well.

My hat is off to you and your fellow officers.

Take care

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Benevolent Heretic I couldnt agree more on this issue, this is why I will not group the whole of any 'type' together, I will give you the benefit of the doubt and if you cross the line and prove to be a bad person than I will see you as that, but I wont judge the next one that comes along on that one experience.. or even 2 experience or 3 or 10.. you get my point.

posted on Mar, 9 2007 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Please, BH.

The "darkies" are not in a position to abuse power over other people like cops are. If you don't believe my experiences with the po pos, too effing bad; I lived them, and don't need any validation from you.

The fuzz have HISTORICALLY shown trends of abuse of authority, to black people in particular. Look at some footage of a Civil Rights demonstration from the 60s to see this. Look earlier at the LARGE percentage of po pos involved with/members of the Klan (hell, entire STATES were in cahoots with the Klan at times). Look later at the disproportionate occurence of police brutality against blacks and other minorities.

That's stuff that hasn't happened to you. Once you add stuff that HAS happened to you (or people you know), you develop a well-needed mistrust for police. Which leads to dislike of police.

Why the HELL should you like the po pos when they do things like shove guns in your faces when you've done nothing wrong? I've had a copper shove an MP5 in my FACE IN MY OWN HOUSE!!!

I'm sure there's some good cops out there. However, as I haven't met them, it doesn't apply to me. One of NWA's songs says it best...

And BH...no need to hide your true feelings...

[edit on 9-3-2007 by truthseeka]

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join