It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So You Hate Cops

page: 29
<< 26  27  28    30  31  32 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 06:53 PM
link   
The Federal Government has no "policing powers", thus such "Federal Agents" only have authority within all designated "Federal Buildings" and "Federal Holdings", and within the borders and boundaries of: American Samoa, Common Wealth Of Puerto Rico, District of Columbia, Guam, and Virgin Islands. Outside of the aforementioned locations, federal agents are to be treated just as any normal citizen.

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Now before I write this reply I just want to say that I do not hate ALL cops. It's mostly the bad apples that spoil the bunch. There's seems to be quite a few bad apples these days, however. I've lived in towns where almost the entire department is corrupt and were known for doing illegal drugs. I've seen so much abuse of power in my short life (27 years old)in NJ that it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Please note that I am not referring to "real" police officers (detectives) who actually work to take down gangs and get real criminals off the streets. Those I have very high respect for, but the traffic cops/house call cops are another story.

I think that the main problem with the profession is that a lot power comes with it (much like politicians). When somebody becomes a police officer they become "above the law". I think this fact alone attracts a lot of the bad apples and high school bullies to join. If you are ever wrongly accused of a crime, it usually becomes your word vs. the cop and 99% of time people believe the cop over you. That's just a fact of life, unfortunately. There are countless times when I see police officers break the law with no regard for anybody else. Almost every time I see a cop he is speeding excessively (at least 20 over the limit). I can understand if they're responding to an emergency, but if so why do they not put the lights on to warn cars on the road that they're coming through at a high speed? They should be setting a good example for the other drivers on the road, since it is their job to enforce the laws. I almost got ran off the road by a cop once. I checked my mirror and the guy was about a quarter mile behind me, so I switched into the left lane to pass somebody. Within 10 seconds this guy was almost right on my bumper. He must have been doing like 140+ to be able to catch up to me that fast. I speed up to about 80 mph to pass the other car quickly and then got out of his way. That was dangerous.

The other big thing that turns me off about police officers (and I know this isn't completely their fault) is that their main purpose is to make money for the town/state. That's why they hang out at speed traps, and often will do whatever it takes to catch people speeding. That's why they have so many "SAFE CORRIDOR: DOUBLE FINE" and other double fine zones. It's all pretty much one big scam and they still have the nerve to call your house, begging for a donation. Every time they do that, I say, "I just 'donated' to you last month!!!"

If I need help the last person I call is the police unless there's no other choice. Here's a story to back this up:

My sister got together with 2 of her friends and went to one of their houses to have a few drinks. They were about 20 years old and the one girl's mom had gone to bed, so they did what most kids do and sneaked some beers. They invited another one of their girlfriends over and she ended up bringing this other guy over. The guy began getting rowdy and loud, so they told him to leave. He wouldn't listen and since there were no other males present they couldn't do anything. He began pushing them around and even broke one of their windows. They called the cops. Now when the cops arrive the kid runs. So instead of seeing if they were ok or investigating the window, or even attempting to find the kid, they harass the girls about underage drinking. They didn't even show one ounce of concern for them. They arrested them ALL and then went upstairs, dragged the mom out of bed and arrested her. This all happened because some kid was being violent. They never even looked for the kid. The mom, who was a school teacher, lost her job because of that, when she had no clue what her daughter was doing. Was that really necessary? There has to be a point where you draw the line and realize that it was not the mother's fault, and arresting her would serve no purpose other than humiliation.

There's been other similar situations where I've called the cops for help and they harass me instead and I could keep going with more stories but I think I made the point with that one. I apologize for the long post. But yeah, I guess it depends where you live and how corrupt that section of the police department is. It's people who end up in situations like the one above where an innocent mother's career is destroyed because of the actions of some corrupt cops. That is why people complain about them and why the whole anti-cop sentiments are so high. That's a whole other level from complaining about a speeding ticket. And I didn't even mention the racial profiling and the countless times when innocent minorities have gotten shot by police without even getting a chance. These kind of things happen WAY too often.

[edit on 9-11-2007 by Barcs]

[edit on 9-11-2007 by Barcs]

posted on Nov, 10 2007 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

your team and mine have never been in agreement with one another in quite a while, if ever. Straight Edge and Graffiti kids... Although, I will say, I have a common respect for the men and women in law enforcement. It's a admirable job, and a hard one I bet. The actions of certain police are definitely a cause for alarm as to where we are as a people, but I don't "hate" the police. I have a lot of respect for you on a personal level, and was pretty much raised by a local police officer. I don't think anybody should in general "hate the police." Don't get me wrong, I have a few badge numbers that I'm not too fond of.

posted on Nov, 13 2007 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I certainly don't hate cops and I salute the good ones for doing there jobs. The problem is, police police themselves. In that kind of situation there is no room for gray. You can't have one corrupt cop because that tarnishes all cops. There should be an independent, citizen controlled oversight.

That being said, thanks OP for doing your job.

p.s. I have to agree with Barcs about the speeding ticket scam. Around here I have never, and I do mean that literally, seen a cop going the speed limit yet just last week when I was driving home I saw four people pulled in about a five mile stretch. When was the last time you saw a cop pull another cop over for speeding?

[edit on 13-11-2007 by avingard]

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 11:25 AM
link   
well, in keeping with my honesty here on the boards, hate might not be the wrong words...most definately once i got to know some of them i would hate them....

to put it straight up and fair...i DO NOT like any of them

i want nothing to do with any law enforcement officer. i don't trust them. i think they know how to manipulate the average citizen and they absolutely do just that whenever they can.

i have three scenerios here that i figure the way cops work out.

the small, nano fraction of cops that are actually honest and do their job and want to help people. then, there is the majority of them that started out wanting to clean the streets but after a year or two, learned it blows and went crooked one way or the other...

bracing people, leaning on them, whatever.

then, the third group. the group that wants the power. the ones that get off on making people scared. the ones that picked on others in highschool and realized once they got out, they didn't matter anymore....

those are the big three groups, IMO

i don't trust any of them. i won't call them. i don't want em near my property.
cops do not=good.

i have never had a good experience with the police....in 30 years not ONE positive experience

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 11:37 AM
link   
OK, so here's a new one for me. I grew up between Boston, Philadelphia and Providence RI. All cities with a fairly corrupt police department. I Just came out to Utah for some work and had a new experience.

I was driving up this crazy curving mountain road to an inn where I was staying late at night. It was dark, and I was lost. The first car I saw for the miles that I was driving was a sheriff's truck pulled over to the side of the road. Normally I'd be hesitant of stopping and asking a random person for directions when I'm alone in the middle of nowhere, especially a cop. But then I figured, if I don't ask I could be much worse off than I was before.

So I pulled over and walked up to the car to ask for directions. And the strangest thing happened. This cop looked at me, smiled politely, and gave me specific directions to where I needed to go. Not only did he give me directions, he called the inn and told the receptionist that if I didn't get there in the next hour to call him directly. This was the first time in my life where a police officer actually made me feel safe.

Let there be no doubt that I was still extremely cautious. But after that I realized that it's possible that not all police are @$$holes, just the vast majority that I've met. However, when I get back to the city I'll go back to the safety of avoiding the police like the plague.

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Raso,

I am very pleased that not only did you have a positive experience, but you also thought enough of me to share it n a thread I authored. I want to thank you for that.. Makes me proud of my profession to know there are officers out there that have "The Right Stuff".

We have not always seen eye to eye, but you have always been a class act in my book...

Thanks again,

Semper

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Raso! It's great to see you! It's been awhile. Stay aware of those curvy mountain roads! Stay in touch my good man.

Semp....... stay cool, and more important SAFE protecting us who take you for granted.

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Raso! It's great to see you! It's been awhile. Stay aware of those curvy mountain roads! Stay in touch my good man.

Semp....... stay cool, and more important SAFE protecting us who take you for granted.

posted on Nov, 16 2007 @ 09:56 PM
link   
29 pages?!?! How could I have missed this??! Looks like the 'page up/down' keys are about to get a workout.

Anyone get the warn or ban on this thread?

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 04:09 AM
link   
I would be the most hated cop in a department if I were a cop. I would hand out traffic tickets as if they were trick or treat candy for all the stupid driving techniques I am constantly subjected to when on the road. My professionalism would be legendary within my department because I would not be a patsy for foul play by another officer and bust a cop for crime just like I would a common citizen.

If a superior gave me an unlawful order, I would write a complaint and file a report. If I see shenanigans perpetrated on a citizen by a bully cop, I will file a report. You see, I would do all those things most people in power hate the most. Go against there ego and not play there game.

I may not live long, or maybe shunned by co-workers but what the hell, its my character, morals and ethics they are challenging.

A cop has a tough job. They get it from both sides, there superiors and citizens. And there wife/girlfriend if they have one.

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

A good thread semper and I did a rant about cops ticketing for jaywalking and speeding awhile back.. But ultimately responsibility rests with the individual. Don't let one speeding ticket or one rude cop dictate your views on all cops.

You say we should be out arresting crack dealers instead of giving you a ticket. Even though vastly more people are killed on the highways each year by speeders.

This is true. Although I think other measures can be taken. For example, I visited friends in Germany over the summer and spent a good portion of time on the autobahn. One thing Germans don't do is PASS ON THE RIGHT. I'm telling you these people drive insane and yet there are not nearly as many pileups as one would think.

One problem with american roadways is the folks who drive in the left lane and won't budge. I can't tell you how many times I've seen that lead to a "roadrage" type of incident... i.e. swerving, tailgating, speeding. People who can't pass on the left will angrily pass on the right and then cut back over and that's when accidents happen. In Germany it is 100% ILLEGAL to pass on the right. You can get your license taken away for something like that! And I must say that it makes traffic flow so much smoother and safer. If people want to speed let them speed in the left lane. Heck it'll probably make the policeman's job easier to identify them and pull them over.

Of course the cop doesn't make the law. He upholds the law. Unfortunately it's human nature to hate the cop when you get pulled over. They should consider looking at other traffic models and ideas on how to cut down on accidents. I'm sure cops don't like to pull dead bodies out of cars. We should look to improve traffic laws in ways that benefit both commuters and cops alike.

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Any lEO who protects and understands this,

Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Amendment II

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Amendment III

No soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any house, without the consent of the owner, nor in time of war, but in a manner to be prescribed by law.

Amendment IV

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Amendment V

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a grand jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the militia, when in actual service in time of war or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

Amendment VI

In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the state and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the assistance of counsel for his defense.

Amendment VII

In suits at common law, where the value in controversy shall exceed twenty dollars, the right of trial by jury shall be preserved, and no fact tried by a jury, shall be otherwise reexamined in any court of the United States, than according to the rules of the common law.

Amendment VIII

Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.

Amendment X

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.

Is a friend, And LEO who doesn't is an enemy, it's that simple.

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I don't hate cops. Had some youthful discretions with them but never hated them. I just get pissed whenever I am doing the speed limit and a guy passes me doing 20 over and there isn't an officer there.

I got to see the police in action a few weeks ago. SWAT team raided a house that was growing mushrooms and marijuana and dealing other drugs. So to those that say "Why don't you go out and arrest some real criminals" they are. They are going in with full gear on to get the men who deal drugs to our children. A job I sure wouldn't want to do.

And for those of you, like around here, who laugh and complain when an officer pulls someone over he calls for back up and two other cars show up, know this. How does that officer know you are "Just" speeding and not a serial cop killer who is going to shoot him the second he gets to your window? He doesn't, and so calls for backup.

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I try hard to respect police. I worked graveyard shift at a gas station once and it was pointed out to me that the cop was the only person who would run in when I was being robbed. Everyone else would run out.

Mostly I succeed, but often I fail because of what I see. I see 2 major problems. One is that police tend not to hold their own accountable--instead they circle the wagons. Here in WA state we've had 3 or 4 recent cases of police pulling over and sexually molesting female motorists. When caught they are not fired. Instead they go on 'paid admin. leave' for up to 2 years, and in one case a trooper continued to collect a check even after conviction. Why don't good cops demand an end to the contracts that protect bad ones???

Another issue is that cops allow themselves to be used as revenue-makers for pols. If they are such bastions of integrity, why not take a stand against this? The few cops I've seen do such are super-heros in my book. Most take the attitude of 'pols&bureaucrats scratch my back--I'll scratch theirs.

You make some valid points in your diatribe, but on the otherhand much of your writing belies your "cops vs. citizens" mentality.

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis
What's new?

You hate us, then complain when we are not "Johnny on the spot" to your trespassing complaint.

You hate us, then call us to come help you.

Even though you hate us, we will always come and we come prepared to lay our lives down to save yours.

While you are running from the street brawl, we are running to it. Yet you hate us.

You say we should be out arresting crack dealers instead of giving you a ticket. Even though vastly more people are killed on the highways each year by speeders.

You say we are picking on you when we stop you and search your car, even though we find dope. So I guess we are picking on you.

Of course we are racial profiling when we stop middle eastern looking men prior to boarding aircraft. Maybe that is because the VAST majority of terrorists are middle eastern males.

You have a bad experience with one police officer and all of a sudden the entire 700K police officers in the country are corrupt, they are all racist and out to get you. Give it a rest will you. What are YOU doing for your country, your community, your fellow man?

Maybe you should consider this. At the end of the day I am going home to my wife. I will not even remember you name then. Not if I arrested you, ticketed you or saved your butt. Yet, you hate me and call me a pig, criminal, dirty and more graphic names on a regular basis. Still I will get dressed in the middle of the night to come save your stupid butt when you get your self in a situation you can't control.

You don't see the number of times I step out and stop the car that was going to hit the little girl. The times I go into a domestic and arrest the man that was going to kill his wife. The times I kick a door in and take the pistol away from the 14 year old that was going to commit suicide.

All you care about is your one little incident in which you branded all police officers your enemy. (At least until you need us)

A favorite comment I have heard a hundred times; Well they arrested my son/daughter because he/she is black. Even though there were white people there doing the same thing.
(BS!!! There is ALWAYS more to that story) (Remember, NO department is immune from civil liability, and if this was true, they would be sued, yet strangely they don't) hmmmmmmm

Maybe you should take a look at your emotions and evaluate these men and women that are ready EACH AND EVERY day to die so that you can live.

And again ask yourself....

WHAT ARE YOU DOING FOR YOUR COUNTRY, YOUR COMMUNITY, YOUR FELLOW MAN

Semper

[edit on 3/7/2007 by semperfortis]

[edit on 3/7/2007 by semperfortis]

I'm not sure who hates Cops here, but I am not one of them. I have the utmost respect for Law Enforcement. My biggest problem though is seeing the corruption within Law Enforcement. Am I saying all Police are crooked? Not in the least. In My area though there are a lot of questionable activities, along with what I read in the newspapers.

I've know you for a while semperfortis, you are a great guy. I can not speak for all Law Enforcement Officer's, but I can speak for you. I know the things you've told Me. We've gotten together through U2U's to function together.

As for Me, I work 4 jobs, and one of them is the Boy Scouts of America. I'm doing things for My community and country. One small step at a time.

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 03:10 AM
link   
I write this with the assumption that most people are not nor have ever been cops so please bear with me and try, just try for a moment, to walk in anothers shoes:

It’s a cold and rainy night.. Before you left the wife complained that the bathroom sink is still dripping. Your daughter needs new shoes and your son’s principal called because he skipped another class today. You go to work and the Sarge tells you that you still owe him paperwork from two days ago – “get it done NOW!!” Before you get to your car the radio blares that there is a domestic on Main Street. You run to your car and speed off – hoping to God that you don’t run somebody over on the way at breakneck speeds. When you get there a bloody woman screams “Help Me” so you grab the man. When you do so she jumps on your back and screams at you for touching “Her man”. You have to pull her off- (watch the eyes)- and arrest her too, while she sobs. Later you get called to an accident scene: you arrive and see three dead teenagers in a car. You start taping and writing- you can’t think that they could be your kids. Don’t think about your son or daughter (Don’t- you “f”ing cry- that’s not good. Be professional). More calls – they never stop: Shop-lifting, assault, stolen car, missing child, vandalism, town-drunk, ghosts, fears and worries. Here comes a car. He moves. Fast. “41 to Radio: Check Alpha-Beta-Charlie-One-Two-Three”. “Radio to 41- that vehicle is reported stolen”. Jesus. He’s throwing stuff out the window. White stuff in baggies (What is he holding? Is that a GUN? Or is that a cell-phone? What the “f” is he holding?) You’re on the twelfth hour of a double-shift now.
Late, when all is calm, 2 a.m. and the bars are closing. Here comes Mr. Happy. He “California stops” the red-light. You pull the guy over. Here it goes: “What are you stopping me for?”. (Because I want to. I’m just an a**hole and I get my jollies this way). “License and registration please:” But no. He has to argue. He knows people. He pays taxes,,,
What happens, it happens. But the cop is wrong. Right? He’s just there to hassle you. He’s not human. They get their rocks off by messing with people . Right?
Just ask. Just tell the truth. Just be human and see them as human. Watch how far it gets you.

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Geeze Passenger,

You been following me? ....

Thanks for the support ....

Same goes for you SKL...

Semper

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Passenger, Oh my bleeding heart, the cops are really the good guys, their human, they have feeling and families, yeh so did the guards in Hitlers concentration camps.

The point you miss is that we know what cops have and do thats what we dont understand, how can someone who does have loved ones etc. then go out and inflict pain, suffering and death on the very same people that they are supposed to care for and protect.

The fact of the matter is that just like the guards in Hitlers camps when the unifiorms on they are sadists, abusers and law breakers when its off its oh dadies home and back to the loving family. Violence beggets violence and if you wear the uniform expect to get it back its as simple as that, do you really believe that you can go around killing and abusing people and not get a reaction.

Most Police forces are corrupt, they are there to protect the rich and powerful, movie stars and the like, they are not there for the little people, the masses no they are there to control the masses whilst aforementioned lead their corrupt and decadent lives the little people are trodden under foot. Well the day and its coming soon those little people are going to fight back and all of those who have sold their souls to the devil better run and hide.

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by magicmushroom

Nice bit of stereotyping there, MM. Equating police officers everywhere with Concentration Guards, good one...

You might be safer saying that all police forces have corrupt cops on them, instead of saying all police forces are corrupt.

top topics

<< 26  27  28    30  31  32 >>

join