It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So You Hate Cops

page: 26
<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2007 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Miishgoos
I just heard a little snippet on NPR from a cop who was talking about how 'nervous' they are to approach people. They never know if this is going to be the crazy guy that pulls a gun or a knife or what. Because that happens a lot. The cops feel that they have to be on guard and on the defensive because they don't know what they might be walking into.

It's their job and if they feel like it's too dangerous they should be looking for a new line of work.

Its not about being nervous, its about fear, you have to learn to deal with you fear. Regardless of wha people say you cannot beat fear you can only learn to deal with it. Any officer would be a fool to not be a little bit afraid when approaching someone, or a vehicle.

If every officer that felt a little fear decided to get another job, then there would be no officers on the streets period.

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Hey ok so I posted my views when this thread was still on it's 4th page but ugh my comp sputtered so I'll try it again (better late than never).

I actually did a rant about police officers on BTS a while back. I was just frustrated about what I felt was nit picky traffic ticketing, while on a saturday night, they were no where to be found when a friend's car got stolen. I guess you can't let a few bad apples (experiences) spoil the whole bunch.

My thing is I just don't feel any need to constantly talk about officers like they are these righteous angels sent by God himself. I mean c'mon... They are very well compensated considering the position requires no degree or college education. More importantly, I feel the majority of them are not police officers because they want to help the public. No I think that's a bi-product of their services and many of them feel very good about this bi-product. But the reason they are officers is because they don't want to sit behind a desk and push a mouse around all day. They don't want to be stuck in some corporate meeting while some up and coming shmuck gives a boring presentation. Officers are on the streets protecting the community because it's in their blood. They crave the power and excitement they get from it.

When I see an officer I see a useful member of society doing a great service. But I don't see a halo or wings. I see someone who likes to be in control and kick butt and take names.

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Actually, James. your quote is messed up. I said what you quoted. No biggie.

Originally posted by JamesMcMahn
Its not about being nervous, its about fear,

The cop on the radio said "nervous". That's why I used that word. And I think he probably meant cautious, not nervous.

If every officer that felt a little fear decided to get another job, then there would be no officers on the streets period.

Exactly. Some fear (and certainly caution) is inherent in the job, I would think. It's a dangerous job.

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Old saying...

"Police work is 99% pure boredom, 1% shear terror...."

Semper

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 06:47 PM
link   
most jobs are that way semper. I know its true of cooking.... bored to tears only 3 tables all evening. You send the dishwasher and second cook home and as soon as they leave a tour bus full of migrating Canadian Blue hairs pulls up (a tour bus that your drunken and useless employer knew about but forgot to tell you).... NOW that is terror.
I would rather stare down a psycho with a gun than a gaggle of migrating blue hairs any day.

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 08:55 PM
link   
"Where are my potatoes young man?"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Semper

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 06:55 AM
link   
All us serfs want you noble knights to do is act like normal people in a society instead of the us against you mentality. We all know who's the biggest gang in the city, and the reality is that cops get away with a lot of stuff that normal people pay dearly up the wazoo for. Even that we're willing to ignore once in a while in exchange for an honest and trustworthy police force. But it's this new mentality they're instilling in the police forces of today and tomorrow. I'm in police foundations right now, and already they basically teach you to violate anybody's rights who doesn't know them. You can say "I'm just doing my job" but that didn't excuse the petty nazi soldier from the bigger atrocity he was part of. Believe it or not, cops are being brainwashed. They don't realize the government is putting all the drugs and guns on the streets. They don't realize why their being paid like crap and so they do nothing. Hell, they just can't see the big picture at all because to them, IT'S JUST THEIR JOB. Just following orders. That's what each and every cop tells me when I ask why he is violating my rights rather than helping enforcing them.

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 07:28 AM
link   
I have never violated anyone's rights...

I know of no officer personally that has ever that was not punished...

I have been doing this 21+ years..

Three states, 7 departments; full and part time...

So out of all those departments in all those states and all those officers, I have not observed it as a routine or even prevalent issue.... One wonders how prevalent it could be?

Of course it happens, but the knee jerk reaction of assuming it is an epidemic is not complimentary to the intellect of ATS members... One expects rationalism and discovery here, not sensationalism...

Semper

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 12:27 AM
link   
I don't hate you guys, I just don't trust you. It's ok, I can take care of myself, I don't need a hero, I'm not scared of the big bad wolf.

Originally posted by JamesMcMahn

Almost every officer has at least one time when they are in court and change the "facts" a little bit, I did it myself once when a man had beaten his wife, I knew she was stuck in the "domestic circle" anf would never get out unless he went to jail.

JamesMcMahn

posted on Apr, 7 2007 @ 08:36 AM
link   
There's a great video called "How not to get your ass kicked by the police" by Chris Rock. Google it.
I don't want to link to it because there's foul language, as you might imagine, but it's funny!

posted on Apr, 7 2007 @ 08:46 AM
link   
I've seen that BH,

It is hilarious to the extreme...

There are several good "Youtube" and "Google" videos parodies out there...

Semper

posted on Apr, 7 2007 @ 08:48 AM
link   
im getting a drivers license and a car soon so....cops will hate me and i will hate em couse im the most wanted in bulgaria baby^^

posted on Apr, 7 2007 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I generally have a great deal of respect for cops. However, some of them tend to be... I don't know how to put it. Power-hungry, almost? As if they became cops to boss people around.

I don't even hate them, though. When the proverbial fan's hit, I know they're there for us.

posted on Apr, 10 2007 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis
I have never violated anyone's rights...

I know of no officer personally that has ever that was not punished...

I have been doing this 21+ years..

Three states, 7 departments; full and part time...

So out of all those departments in all those states and all those officers, I have not observed it as a routine or even prevalent issue.... One wonders how prevalent it could be?

Of course it happens, but the knee jerk reaction of assuming it is an epidemic is not complimentary to the intellect of ATS members... One expects rationalism and discovery here, not sensationalism...

Semper

I've only worked in one state and only with 2 departments but I know of some definite rights violations ... usually done by rookies who I assume learned about Constitutional rights at the academy but somehow between there and the street somehow forgot them. Unfortunately at the one department I worked for it was pretty common for them to be patted on the back for minor drug arrests and the like even if the stop/search was questionable.

I'm not saying it is by any means typical or average and officers in the department did a good job of yelling up the chain of command. Problems were eventually solved but very few got into trouble and for those that did it was minor reprimands.

Unfortunately these few handful of officers can mar the reputation of an entire department if not an entire profession.

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 01:20 PM
link   
This is just my opinion

Well for the people who have never seen the Police do anything wrong maybe you were looking left when you should have been looking right?

Or maybe it's a case of not seeing what you dont want to see, kind of like a parent in denial of their kid being on crack LOL.

Police are almost exactly like street gangs, they all dress in uniform, they carry guns, when someone runs away from the Police 5-10 of them will rush the guy LOL even when they clearly give up LOL

Police arent very good at telling the truth they will lie to you with a straight face almost like they dont have a conchounce.

And why do Black People and Native Americans get stopped for no good reason all the time? They take you license and delay you for 2 hours and they come back and say have a nice day!

Police taking people naked to the outskirts of town and leaving them to walk back in the bitter cold.

Well thats my opinion on this matter, if you have a duiffering view please feel free to let me know.

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 02:50 PM
link   
If you distrust the police, then join them. The only way to have a positive outcome for both cops and the people they protect is if there is no difference between the two. We need police forces comprised of peoples from all backgrounds. The rich cops, the poor cops, minority cops, and majority cops, god-fearing bible-thumping cops, athiest cops, ugly cops, and pretty cops. Get it?

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Semper.

Your's is a thankless job...either we're trying to avoid you, or mad that you haven't shown up instantly. You can't win.

I had issues with a police officer a few years back. When I was working in Alaska I wore my hair very long (halfway down my back at one point), and when I'd come south to visit, I'd keep it long usually with some sort of beard, usually a VanDyke. Always clean and presentable, hair in a braid, etc...

This police officer made a point of stopping me while walking down the street, lest you think it was late night or something, nope middle of the day. Once in Pioneer Park, which is a large park near the middle of town with no transient problem or any thing of the sort. Walking through the park with a BigGulp in one hand and a hot dog in the other...not exactly the most suspicious of behaviour patterns. The second time was when I was coming out of the post office. On both occaisions I was asked for identification, which I, of course, imeadiately gave to him. Not a problem. I did ask him why, natural curiosity on my part I thought...he asked me if we were going to have a problem. To which I replied not in the least.

The third time was about a week after the second episode. I was coming out of the grocery store, which is just about a block and a half from the post office. Any way, this mothers mistake pulls up right behind me, I'm walking by the way, and again demands my ID. This was the last straw, I asked for his badge number and said I'd be talking to his superiors. Again with the "are we going to have a problem" riff. This time my reply was "yes, we are going to have a problem." I fully expected to be arrested, but he climbed back into his patrol car and drove away.

The next morning I was at the police station and filed a formal complaint. He was, after a couple of months, fired. About a year later I spotted him at our local mall...I couldn't help myself "Have you harrassed any one lately, sir?" Vindictive, yes. But I couldn't help myself.

This clown was the exception to the rule, though. You guys are almost always there when we need you. Though I'm generally suspicious of authority figures as a rule...you guys are nothing resembling demons. Thanks for being there.

posted on Apr, 13 2007 @ 11:03 PM
link   
It was the Big Gulp man!!!!!!

Those babies are dangerous...

Seriously though, you did exactly what you should have and I applaud you for it....

We need the help of good honest people to get the bad apples out. Idiots like that give us all a bad name...

Semper

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Yeah. I know I shouldn't carry the Big Gulp out in the open like that. But my holster was broken.

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Not all cops are corrupt. Most are good. But if you live in Marengo, Illinois you may have a different opinion. The Marengo Police Department is the most corrupt police force I have ever witnessed. (Not that there aren't worse ones out there).

1. They don't stop at stop signs.

2. I have SEEN multiple people beaten down for NO reason at all. One time it was a buddy I grew up with, and he did nothing, had no weapon, and was not involved in any illegal activity!

3. They pull people over for speeding when they aren't. I was told that I was driving 48mph in a 30mph. I was going 35mph as I turned onto the street, then immediatley dropped down to 28mph to be safe.

4. The MPD also was/is under investigation for abuse. A guy I somewhat know had his head slammed into a wall at the station, and a drunk was beaten in front of him to try to scare a fake confession out of him. Luckily, a security camera caught this and it is the main evidence in the investigation.

They aren't racist, it seems, they will abuse anyone of any color.

With this all said, I'd like to applaud all the honest, hard-working police officers out there. And for the Marengo Police Department, GO *#@* YOURSELVES!!!

[edit on 14-4-2007 by Uplifted]

new topics

top topics

<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join