It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So You Hate Cops

page: 24
<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2007 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
I don't think it implies that they are criminals. I think it is a combination of not trusting the individual, and not willing to take responsibility for our own actions.

I`d like to first say great! and well deserved chissler of the new Mod status.

Back to the quote.That also should apply from citizen to police as well,police should be held more accountable and not be a law unto themselves as some do.just because they have a badge.

Some members have expressed their overt distrust for a possible corrupt police force. Personally, I've despised police on many occasions for my own wrong doings. I received a $272 fine for speeding a few weeks ago, and I felt it was a complete joke. However, after a few days I realized that I was wrong,

This really confuses me why you are comparing your and this experience to those that warrant and are justified in the mistrust toward some police.

Of coarse no one likes being fined,but when they are mistreated and/or fined they have a right and are right to see this as wrong.

By speaking out about it and being labeled as someone who must be a criminal for speaking out is a very serious crime in its self.

[edit on 18-3-2007 by gps777]

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Hey guys,

I just read this link and thought it would fit in nicely for this thread. If nothing else it is a good read.

cheers

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Another appropriate link. Another interesting read.

No, the cops didn't murder Sean Bell

The allegation that last weekend’s shooting was racially motivated is preposterous. A group of undercover officers working in a gun- and drug-plagued strip joint in Queens had good reason to believe that a party leaving the club was armed and about to shoot an adversary. When one of the undercovers identified himself as an officer, the car holding the party twice tried to run him down. The officer started firing while yelling to the car’s occupants: “Let me see your hands.” His colleagues, believing they were under attack, fired as well, eventually shooting off 50 rounds and killing the driver, Sean Bell. No gun was found in the car, but witnesses and video footage confirm that a fourth man in the party fled the scene once the altercation began. Bell and the other men with him all had been arrested for illegal possession of guns in the past; one of Bell’s companions that night, Joseph Guzman, had spent considerable time in prison, including for an armed robbery in which he shot at his victim.

Nothing in these facts suggests that racial animus lay behind the incident. (Though this detail should be irrelevant, the undercover team was racially mixed, and the officer who fired the first shot was black.)

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by JamesMcMahn

Originally posted by LordInfamous
what do you think of people who call the police because that's all they can do? for example...somebody gets threatned and they freak out and decide to call you guys, instead of handling it themselves. they call you and the situation gets fixed. down the road they get threatned again, call you guys, you guys save em..etc etc..

do you think the reason that some cops carry out police brutality is because deep down they know they're in a thankless profession?

I think a lot of officers loose it because of how limited you are nowadays, you have to go to court every other day because prisoners are filing frivolous lawsuits just because they can, you have to release people that you know are guilty as sin just because they have a good lawyer, You have people filing complaints just because they think that you took to long to get there, once you become a police officer you have no social life all of your friends who are officers eventually grow to nervous and fade away from you. So yes it is a thankless job and I can tell you that every officer snaps sometimes its just a question of how bad.

I thought that this quote would fit well in this thread. It came from the Police Questions thread.

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 02:03 AM
link   

I think a lot of officers loose it because of how limited you are nowadays, you have to go to court every other day because prisoners are filing frivolous lawsuits just because they can.

When you say "you" in the above quote, shouldn`t it be "we as police" ?

If so aren`t you separating yourself as a citizen from those you have sworn to serve and protect,regardless of how frustrating the system is,because the same excuse should then be allowed to be used by the general public like wise and you should also understand their frustrations of it and if they also as you put it "loose it".

But it does not make it right from either police or citizen.

you have to release people that you know are guilty as sin just because they have a good lawyer

I dont know what you watch or read in life James,but I`m telling you ordinary people are just as annoyed at this as you.

, You have people filing complaints just because they think that you took to long to get there

Your no lone ranger here either,do you think other peoples lives are not filled with this also.

, once you become a police officer you have no social life all of your friends who are officers eventually grow to nervous and fade away from you.

If this is what you have come to know,I can tell you that I feel for you for that.I personally have police officers as friends,one just quit (and you or others may laugh or scoff) because a gun was found in the house he was searching after apprehending a person in that house,he started a brick paving business instead,his reasoning,his family is more important.

So yes it is a thankless job and I can tell you that every officer snaps sometimes its just a question of how bad.

From what you may have seen of it,because I do see it as a thankful job as well.Not to mention all the people here who have thanked you also,what do you want James?

As I have said before some people volunteer for free to do services for the public in general some are dangerous jobs,without expecting or wanting thanks.The obvious differences are these people give free service and hurt no one in there job,just free help.

Put a badge on them that can make them above those they serve and problems will arise.If their held to the same level and law as citizens they see as important enough in the first place to serve and protect they will see less problems.

I thought that this quote would fit well in this thread. It came from the Police Questions thread.

Cool,if I think of some,I`ll know where to go.

[edit on 20-3-2007 by gps777]

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 03:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Harassment101
stolenlives.org...

Thank you for this link.

For these on board who feel this way, the only way you could make them understand this, is to make them black for a week.

There was a tv show based on that premise, Black. White. Two families, one black and one white, in make-up, living as the other race. It was amusing, as far as reality tv goes. One thing that was interesting was, the wife/mother of 'the white family', realized that her husband was a bit of a racist, and was kinda like, I don't know if I can be with you any more, because of this. Weird that in twenty-odd years of marriage, she had never noticed that before.

Originally posted by Harassment101

Originally posted by HarlemHottie
As well as I can gather from a computer screen, it seems that this group, this "us," consists of black Americans who are sick and tired of this extralegal behavior... you know, murdering black men and then getting off scott-free.

It's the dividing line on a lot of threads lately here.

I was wrong, probably the result of frustration. Other, non- black American citizens are also concerned...just not that many. It's sad, really, because, like that poem said, when they come for you, no one will be left.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by chissler
Nicely put!

Thank you.

However, and I am not saying you, nor anyone else is guilty of this, usage of terms like "pig" are derogatory to all cops, solely on the basis that they are cops. In this context, it is no different then any racial slur. If a cop does something immoral, I agree that it is appropriate to carry a negative opinion on this individual. The individual only though. It is not fair to other cops, who may be good men and women, to judge them on the actions of others.

Apples and oranges.

Let me explain this clearly. There are gangs in NY. When I notice gang-members in my immediate environs, I am wary, but take it as it comes, basically living out the words and the sentimnt of the axiom, 'don't start nothing, won't be nothing.' Luckily, they treat me the same way. Thusly, I am not scared of them, leery perhaps, but not scared.

The police are another gang. Conversely, I have no such understanding with them.

This is why, quite honestly, I'm not all that sensitive to the feelings of police officers when it comes to being called "pigs." Furthermore, this 'prejudice', as you call it, is a natural result of our interaction with them. Any other reaction on our part would be defined as insane. For real.

What is constructive about the term, "Pig"?

I don't think it's meant to be constructive.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by semperfortis
Sorry about being somewhat "catty"

That's okay. We all have our days. At least you apologized.

My problem was not with the horrible incidents that you used as examples, it was the fact that they do NOT constitute "Murder."

Yesterday, a grand jury indicted three of the five officers involved in the Sean Bell shooting, two for manslaughter, all three for reckless endangerment.

So, you might be right, but keep in mind that I am but a mere civilian. I just watch a lot of CourtTv.

So the term was used erroneous and as it is somewhat of an inflammatory term, I wished to set it straight.

That's fair.

As for you paying the salary and thus having a say...

That is true as a Community, Town, City, County or in my case a State...
NOT an individual.....

A black or minority neighborhood constitutes "a community", doesn't it?

Again HH, I apologize for the rudeness of my recent posting toward you, it was out of line and I am sorry...

That's okay, I know this is personal for you. It is for me too.

I am a trained Sniper...

I have some questions for you about this. We'll talk.

I also think those raised in households where criminal behavior is the norm, learn dislike from their care givers. They are perhaps not actual criminals, but they have derived their hatred in the same manner, from fear....

I ran into this quite often teaching the Anti-Drug classes in the schools...

Hold on. I have to stop you here because this is "erroneous."

I have sat through anti-drug classes in public schools and, let me tell you, the 'hatred dreived from fear' you mention is not the fear of a criminal. It is the completely rational fear of an 'occupying force'.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by gps777
By speaking out about it and being labeled as someone who must be a criminal for speaking out is a very serious crime in its self.

Exactly!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Would you wait for someone to possibly shoot you or would you take the shoot answer honestly.

I wouldn't wait, myself.

My question, then, is this: Why do they always shoot to kill?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by truthseeka
I often watch police videos on Spike TV and Court TV. I have seen, on a NUMBER of occassions, people PRETEND like they have a gun when being chased by police. From women pointing purses at police to men reaching in their cars and pointing their fingers at police. And, do you know what?

These cops did NOT shoot these people! They kept their guns drawn on the suspects, then apprehended them.

Excellent point! I always thought that was part of this extensive training, the ability to apprehend a suspect and keep them in one piece until they're tried. Anybody could just run around shooting people.

Did anyone ever respond?

[edit on 20-3-2007 by HarlemHottie]

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by HarlemHottie
Apples and oranges.

Let me explain this clearly. There are gangs in NY. When I notice gang-members in my immediate environs, I am wary, but take it as it comes, basically living out the words and the sentimnt of the axiom, 'don't start nothing, won't be nothing.' Luckily, they treat me the same way. Thusly, I am not scared of them, leery perhaps, but not scared.

The police are another gang. Conversely, I have no such understanding with them.

Police are not "gangs". Maybe if you started reacting to them the same way that you do to your neighborhood hoodlums, you'd lose that misconception.

Call a cop a pig, and chances are he won't do anything about it. Call a gang member a punk, and see where it gets you. And you can't see the difference?

This is why, quite honestly, I'm not all that sensitive to the feelings of police officers when it comes to being called "pigs." Furthermore, this 'prejudice', as you call it, is a natural result of our interaction with them. Any other reaction on our part would be defined as insane. For real.

So, you're more sensitive to the feelings of gangs than you are to police? If you were attacked by a gang, would you call your subsequent feelings toward them "prejudice"? Or would you commiserate with them because you could relate to their background?

What is constructive about the term, "Pig"?

I don't think it's meant to be constructive.

That's part of the problem with using that term, and terms like it. It is not constructive. It only serves a destructive and divisive purpose.

Yesterday, a grand jury indicted three of the five officers involved in the Sean Bell shooting, two for manslaughter, all three for reckless endangerment.

So, you might be right, but keep in mind that I am but a mere civilian. I just watch a lot of CourtTv.

A grand jury indictment is not a conviction, nor is it a fair presentation of both sides of evidence. But I'm sure that Court TV has covered that, no?

As for you paying the salary and thus having a say...

That is true as a Community, Town, City, County or in my case a State...
NOT an individual.....

A black or minority neighborhood constitutes "a community", doesn't it?

Yes, but HH does not constitute a community, which I think was the point.

I have sat through anti-drug classes in public schools and, let me tell you, the 'hatred dreived from fear' you mention is not the fear of a criminal. It is the completely rational fear of an 'occupying force'.

"Occupying force"? A little overly dramatic, wouldn't you say?

My question, then, is this: Why do they always shoot to kill?

Because they are trained to aim at central body mass. Shooting to wing 'em in the arm or leg is a product of Hollywood.

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
Police are not "gangs". Maybe if you started reacting to them the same way that you do to your neighborhood hoodlums, you'd lose that misconception.

Gang-An identifiable group of people (highly organized or loosely structured) who form an alliance for a common purpose which identifies with or claims territory in the community. Members engage either individually or collectively in antisocial or unlawful activity/activities and frequently create an atmosphere of fear and intimidation. [5] Gang-Identifying Terms. Clothing, accessories, make-up, markings, or other items/material that identifies an individual as a member of a gang. [5]

So yes, the police are a gang, and are often more dangerous than neighborhood hoodlums.

Call a cop a pig, and chances are he won't do anything about it. Call a gang member a punk, and see where it gets you. And you can't see the difference?

Wow, we really do live in very different worlds Jso. Call a cop a pig and you are likely to get your head cracked, and charged for it.

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Here is another good example of a BAD BAD nasty disgusting retarded excuse for a cop:

Find out who that woman is and put her in Jail.

What she did wasn't only irresponsible, but a clear excessive use of force.

SHE SHOT A LOADED GUN IN A ROOM FULL OF SMALL CHILDREN BECAUSE THE CHILDREN WOULDN'T BE QUIET.

If a cop did that over here, he'd be out of the force, in jail and banned from any and all types of fireweapons for life.

Whats the very very worst about it is that she's firing the gun before even having it pointed up correctly. If her trigger finger was any more itchy, she could well have shot one of the children.

Mod Edit: Removed Link Due to Member's Request

[edit on 21-3-2007 by chissler]

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by thematrix
Find out who that woman is and put her in Jail.

That's Deputy Cherisha Kimball from Reno 911, a Comedy Central takeoff on COPS.

In other words, it's not real.

[edit on 20-3-2007 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 04:09 PM
link   
this thread is still going strong, seems the title sure got a reaction, as you could expect, same thought goes thru my mind every time I see it, "Yes, I Hate Cops", facist minions of the ruling elite

video.google.com...

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 04:13 PM
link   
So now we are posting episodes of a SITCOM, from COMEDY CENTRAL as proof of our positions???

That is GREAT

Semper

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Notice thematrix's location. Belgium. I'm not sure he gets Comedy Central!

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 05:55 PM
link   
OK, so I was debating telling you all this, but...the same day Semper and I were going at it, well, I actually had to call the cops. First time in my life, I swear to God!

I was skating to the store (in the middle of the street again, I guess the more things change, the more they stay the same huh?) when a brand new Chrysler 300 intentionally tries to run me over.

Had it not been for my bad ass skating skills I would be dead right now, no joke. I ollied onto the hood of a car, and jumped onto the roof to avoid being hit. The Chrysler skimmed the car, yet ran over my board when it shot out from under me after jumping off of it whilst on the hood.

Luckily there was a verizon guy up on the nearest telephone pole who saw the whole thing and called the cops. After a half an hour or so the cops never showed up so I called my girl and asked her what I should do.

She convinced me to call the cops myself, so I did, and once again...waited. After 30 minutes or so they show up, take a report, give me a copy, and go on their way. I didn't call them pigs, and as a matter of fact, they were quite nice actually, one even commented on how high I could ollie.

Fast forward to today and I get a call from a detective asking me if I have found out anything else about the car that tried to run me over.

I mean, I already told them everything that I know, including the first letter and numeral of the license plate, WTF? Is it me, or do I have a right to be pissed? Should'nt I be the one calling them to find out if they have any further information on my case, and not the other way around?

[edit on 20-3-2007 by phoenixhasrisin]

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 09:58 PM
link   
In my department it is a policy to call the victim after a specified period of time and ask if they have any other or further knowledge....

We have to do it and the amount of time depends on the severity of the crime.....

By the way....

I have no idea what an OLLLIE is, but I am glad you can do it and that you were not hurt....

Semper

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 09:59 PM
link   
What information did you give them? What was you description of the car? What was you description of the suspect?

posted on Mar, 20 2007 @ 11:57 PM
link   
I've called cops several times for assistance in various situations always to be let down in varying degrees. I've also had several run-ins with cops, who have lied in the field, in court, and to the press. I've spent thousdans of dollars and wasted almost as many house directly because of illegal things cops hove done or said to/against me. I've had a 20 year old friend strangled to death by a cop in Wisconsin. He was arrested for doing a gas run which it was later found never happened, and then suffocated with a survivair anti-bio weapons hood with the plug closed, substituted for a "spit bag."

I have a big distaste for the police. There's 1-10 to me that seem like real vigilants, but the rest seem like typical dirty cops.

I like The Police though. Not Sting, Sting's always been an ass. 225$ for their reunion tour? Jeeezus.

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420

Wow, we really do live in very different worlds Jso. Call a cop a pig and you are likely to get your head cracked, and charged for it.

Well, maybe that's why people feel so free to call them pigs here, eh? Let the frustrations out, and no consequences.

It still doesn't explain HH's attitude, tho.

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 02:24 AM
link   

So, you're more sensitive to the feelings of gangs than you are to police?

You misunderstand. If gang-members showed up at ATS and said their feelings were hurt because people called them 'punks' (which, I suspect, means something totally different to you than it does to me), I would disregard them just the same.

If you were attacked by a gang, would you call your subsequent feelings toward them "prejudice"?

Does it matter?

Or would you commiserate with them because you could relate to their background?

Actually, I was robbed by a gang-member once. I called the police, drove around to find her, and showed up whenever they needed my cooperation. The judge eventually called me into his chambers to ask what I thought should be done with them, the choices were jail and a farm. I figured that they would just get more entrenched into the gang culture if they went to jail, so I picked the farm. He told me I should go to law school.

Does that answer your question?

It still doesn't explain HH's attitude, tho.

I'm cautious. I don't see why that's such a problem.

posted on Mar, 21 2007 @ 06:21 AM
link   
No, it doesn't make sense. You have a better understanding with gangs than you do with police, even tho gangs have hurt you and the police have treated you well. Furthermore, you are not sensitive to police being called pigs, even though they have come to your aid.

It sounds like you have more respect for punks (and please, stop it with the 'means something different' stuff - a punk is a punk) than you do for police.

new topics

top topics

<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join