It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So You Hate Cops

page: 22
<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I just heard a little snippet on NPR from a cop who was talking about how 'nervous' they are to approach people. They never know if this is going to be the crazy guy that pulls a gun or a knife or what. Because that happens a lot. The cops feel that they have to be on guard and on the defensive because they don't know what they might be walking into.

Everytime they walk up to someone's car or knock on someone's door, they don't know how the person is going to react. If the person is guilty of something, there's a good chance they're going to try something.

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Irresponsive Candor. Fear Struck. Too stupid to move.

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by bothered

What IS your major malfunction, son! You stu-stu-stu...stupid or something? (Waterboy reference with the stupid comment)

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by truthseeka

What IS your major malfunction, son! You stu-stu-stu...stupid or something? (Waterboy reference with the stupid comment)

Is that in reference to me, or my reference? I was commenting to semperfortis about the fight/flight. And making note many don't regard the phenomenon when someone is so frightened, they literally freeze in their tracks.

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 10:14 AM
link   
It is not a matter of whether "you" or "they" regard the phenomenon or not...

It is an accepted and proven psychological event.

You dismissing it does not make it less valid..

Semper

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis
It is not a matter of whether "you" or "they" regard the phenomenon or not...

It is an accepted and proven psychological event.

You dismissing it does not make it less valid..

Semper

I'm not denying fight/flight, only indicating it should be added to. The frozen with fear syndrome, I'll coin.

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 10:22 AM
link   
OK,

I'll give you credit for that one..

What shall we call it?

LOL

Semper

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Is that in reference to me, or my reference? I was commenting to semperfortis about the fight/flight. And making note many don't regard the phenomenon when someone is so frightened, they literally freeze in their tracks.

It was a reference to your too stupid to move part. I thought you were being humorous, so I was humorous. I wasn't calling you stupid. And, it looks like you were serious, so I guess my humor was misplaced. My fault if you thought I was slighting you.

You can't say that wasn't funny, though...

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 10:27 AM
link   

It was a reference to your too stupid to move part. I thought you were being humorous, so I was humorous. I wasn't calling you stupid. And, it looks like you were serious, so I guess my humor was misplaced. My fault if you thought I was slighting you.

You can't say that wasn't funny, though...

I see. That's what I get for not quoting properly. You thought I was commenting about a state of mine.

And, semper, I like to call it the "knock-kneed" response. Where's it's literally been observed that those genuinely engulfed in fear bang their knees together.

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 10:32 AM
link   
No, I knew what you were talking about. I just thought you were being funny right there.

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Everytime they walk up to someone's car or knock on someone's door, they don't know how the person is going to react. If the person is guilty of something, there's a good chance they're going to try something.

Totally agree BH,but really doesn`t this say that your guns and your laws are the problem.

Because our police dont have this same problem and people dont feel a need to fear police or what they might do.

By just throwing more units out there and SWAT etc is not dealing with the problem.But yeah I hear its a big political topic, gun laws over there.

Semper thats pathetic what you guys are payed,that would be hard to live on.

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by gps777
Totally agree BH,but really doesn`t this say that your guns and your laws are the problem.

My opinion is that the guns and the laws are not the problem. The violence-worshipping culture of the US is the problem, but that's a whole 'nother issue, as they say.

Because our police dont have this same problem and people dont feel a need to fear police or what they might do.

In most cases here, if you haven't done anything wrong and you cooperate with the police 100%, there won't be a problem. Refuse to do what they say, smart-mouth, run, do something stupid (like reach into your pocket) or show that you're not cooperating, and you've just bought yourself a problem.

Of course, most people who've had trouble would never admit that they gave the cops a hard time and that's why they got treated the way they did.

I'd wager most people who have had bad experiences with the cops were either guilty or didn't cooperate.

That's not to say that innocent people don't sometimes get hurt by the police, but more times than not, I'm guessing there were other circumstances they either aren't willing to admit or aren't aware of.

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 11:07 AM
link   

No, I knew what you were talking about. I just thought you were being funny right there.

Well, truth, it's a valid response I've frequently seen. Quite amusing.

I guess there is a lot of humor in it. I especially like hearing them squeal out at a much later date their teeth were not chattering, either.

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 11:07 AM
link   
[edit on 3/16/2007 by semperfortis]

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 11:28 AM
link   

As you are probably aware the phenomenon of "Fight or Flight" is a valid psychological concept. The body goes through numerous physiological changes outside of the individuals control. A police officer, if he wants to be a good one and stay alive, MUST learn to control "Fight or Flight" and function on a level far different from the uninitiated or inexperienced.

My point was simple. This can never be explained. I know this because it also can never be taught. The Officer either learns it or they do not on their own. Now many police never go through this as they may work their entire careers and never be in that situation. JM apparently is not one of these.

I can agree and disagree with Fight or flight,"Fight"concerning a police officer, yes it needs to be controlled because you cannot be a law unto yourself,but you`ll never be a robot and will be influenced by your circumstances at the time.

As James has had a bad experience along with many police or non police for that matter,because of a bad experience one may over react to situations that dont warrant it,making a problem where there need not be.

So there is a lot of grey area`s

"Flight" can also be an intelligent decision, being out gunned and taking cover,rather than being in a suicidal position or situation.It doesn`t have to mean you ran away because of cowardice and as much training as one can do will not prepare you to make that split second decision when you know.

I`m obviously not an expert but been in many a fight in my younger years and once had to flight when I was way way out numbered.So I can only get a glimpse of what it maybe like with guns thrown in the mix and I definitely wouldn`t like it,but then who would,I hope no one especially police.

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Fight or Flight has absolutely nothing to do with cognitive thinking...

It is a purely instinctive reaction and to date completely uncontrollable, so there is no "decision" to run, no "decision" to fight...

The training a Police Officer, especially a SWAT officer gets, moves the threshold of F or F beyond what an untrained person would experience, thus allowing them more time and rational thought during a crisis situation...

However, once in F or F, the individual does NOT make decisions. All he can hope for is that his training was extensive enough that his instinctive reactions are adequate to the occasion..

Semper

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Worth a watch...

Crazy 911 Calls

Semper

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I can hardly believe some of those calls, I can only imagine the many many stupid calls that come in though.. thanks for some fun there Semper

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Crazy 911 Calls

Oh_My_God! Those are hilarious, Semper! Some people are just plain ... man... :shk:

posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 02:57 PM
link   

I want my dollar or my taco...

We had one of these at a McDonalds in Danville. By the time we arrived the lady had went over the counter and was beating the manager with a spatula.

top topics

<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join