It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Denver to add homeless parking meters

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 11:05 AM
link   

The idea is to encourage people to put the money into the parking meters instead of giving to panhandlers. Money raised from the meters will go to organizations fighting homelessness.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I'm sort-of up in the air about this one. I do live in a city with a lot of homeless people, and I won't lie most of them drive me nuts asking for change. There are a few that I personally really like, and I try and make a effort to help them out whenever I can. The ones that I do give money to, I know aren't going to run to buy drugs or alcohol.

I think its a good idea by Denver, because no one really likes to get constantly bothered by people at every corner asking for money. But I just don't think it is a solution, most homeless usually have a drug or mental problem that can't be fixed with spare change.

Source

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 11:19 AM
link   
live in denver here. i personally like that the meters specifically denote what amount does what for a homeless individual. my mother works for human services and isn't a big fan of the current regime in the city, but thinks this was a great idea. our city has made leaps and bounds in efforts to reduce the homeless population. this winter, with 3 major storms in the course of 3 weeks, i feel we took care of the homeless very well with very few tragedies unlike i've heard in other areas that had similar weather.

and anyway, i'm one of those people that puts change in expired meters all the time, so its perfect for me. and yes i know thats illegal.

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 11:26 AM
link   
This is a nice attempt to make sure any money given isnt just spent on booze or drugs. I say, nice, because the government isnt much better at spending money. Giving it to non-profit, non-partisan organizations will be good. Or at least better.

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Leave it to the government to find a way to tax the homeless.

Don't be fooled this money aint going to the homeless. Well maybe 20-30% will the rest will disappear in bueracracy.

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Royal76
Leave it to the government to find a way to tax the homeless.

Don't be fooled this money aint going to the homeless. Well maybe 20-30% will the rest will disappear in bueracracy.

The "homeless" are subject to the same taxes as everyone else, with the possible exception of property taxes and many of us who are "homed" don't pay property taxes, either.

Most of the people who live on the street are not homeless in the truest sense of the term. Many have just worn out their welcome at home.

Surely, there will be administrative costs, but the article does little to explain who will do the administrating.

As always, it is far better to donate money directly to your favorite organizations than it is to donate it one who will distribute it for you.

At least, that's my take on the subject.

[edit on 2007/3/7 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 01:51 PM
link   
So you would take from the Poor and give to the Government , reverse Robin Hood, nice.

Denver just has a lack of amagination. Do onto others as you would like them to do onto you.

May you someday have to be taxed because you can only afford to live out of your car, or on the side walk.

You speak of them like they don't exist, don't matter. You don't want to help them, don't give them any $$.

The Gov is just going to keep the money for themselves anyway. They are the ones who are taking from the poor.

Maybe it would be easier if in your world they weren't seen, nor heard. They aren't Real people anyway right

top topics

join