It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rare Aircraft Pictures

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2007 @ 07:49 AM
link   

now doesn't that look a joy to fly!

The second picture shows the prototype Leduc ramjet, intended as a fighter. It might look wierd and ungainly but you have to be impressed when you realise it was under development before the start of WW2 in 1939 and was restarted after the end of the war. The cockpit is inside the air intake, you can see the glazed area to the rear of the centre body plus the windows on the outer nacelle.

As for embedding your pictures, copy and paste the img code on photobucket into your post (as I have above) but you cannot link top images that are on other websites, it has to be hosted on photobucket or similar.

[edit on 3-7-2007 by waynos]

posted on Jul, 3 2007 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by waynos
As for embedding your pictures, copy and paste the img code on photobucket into your post (as I have above) but you cannot link top images that are on other websites, it has to be hosted on photobucket or similar.

I know that!
Posted many times with pics.

I gave up saving to photobucket earlier on when I realised they're all coming up external images.

I think maybe I may of posted a little too many in the past - the Mods have fixed it so I can't for now at least!

Gonna put it to em on the bord info Cheers tho - least I know the whole site aint changed

posted on Jul, 3 2007 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by waynos
The second picture shows the prototype Leduc ramjet, intended as a fighter. It might look wierd and ungainly but you have to be impressed when you realise it was under development before the start of WW2 in 1939 and was restarted after the end of the war. The cockpit is inside the air intake, you can see the glazed area to the rear of the centre body plus the windows on the outer nacelle.

so did the air intake go around rather than straight thru?

posted on Jul, 3 2007 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Yes, its called an annular intake, where the pilot is accommodated in the intake centrebody, there are others similar, after this 010, Leduc went on to build the 020, 021 and 022, that latter of which was intended as a mach 2 fighter. Britains cancelled wartime supersonic fighter project, the Miles M.52, more advanced, or should that be more ambitious, than the Bell X-1, also used a similar layout.

posted on Jul, 3 2007 @ 11:10 AM
link   
aerostories.free.fr...

Leduc 022

aerostories.free.fr...

link to the website about the aircraft - it would seem they actually made alot of test flights in teh 30`s , 40`s and 50`s

[edit on 3/7/07 by Harlequin]

posted on Jul, 3 2007 @ 12:23 PM
link   
and the engine was in the back right?i think i'm grasping slowly how this plane flew....

[edit on 3-7-2007 by wenfieldsecret]

this is a one of a kind 135. never even built more than one. then it "disappeared"

and this is a CS sorry it's not a closer shot.

p.s. were you able to link to the space shuttle pictures i put up?...i dont know if you were able

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 03:07 AM
link   
Yes the links work fine

Just another line in case I get done, even though I am answering a specific question

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 01:13 PM
link   
i cant wait for the next volly of juicy photos

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 06:24 AM
link   
NASA AD-1

Wings at right angles to the fusalage at take off and landing - they pivit up to 60 degress in fligt to save fuel. Looks like the things broke! don't think it caught on. Wiki link

This is'nt a rare aircraft - its a concept, its a nice idea.
The gravity plane..... (arn't all aircraft subject to the laws of gravity
)

This aircraft is so rare you can take his fingerprints

Link

[edit on 5/7/2007 by Now_Then]

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 09:30 AM
link   

This one deserves a mention, WestPoint23
posted it on this thread
Don't know any more about it other then he (she?) said its authentic and did not crash.

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I do not see how the photo of the Republic F-105 Thunderchief shown in USAF Thunderbird colors qualifies as a rare aircraft. As a child I saw these planes on hundreds of occasions. Hardly rare, they were used extensively in the Vietnam war as fighter bombers and in the wild weasel configuration.

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 09:23 PM
link   
A lost British giant of the early 1950's - the Bristol Brabazon.

Here's a vid of her test flights. Quite a beautiful aircraft but financially & operationally a non starter.

uk.youtube.com...

[edit on 5-7-2007 by Niall197]

[edit on 5-7-2007 by Niall197]

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 11:09 PM
link   
here's for the british man....arent there only three of these?

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by wenfieldsecret

Erm no. That is a Nimrod Nimrod if that is a quip about the things falling out of the sky lately then poor taste.

Problem is that they were refitted to take on air to air re-fueling for the faulklands war, now 20+ years on air to air refuling is part of their every day job, they are fantistic aircraft. But they are being pushed to do something they were not designed to do, their sucess will be their demise - don't fix wot ain't broke. But it is overdue for retirement from it's current role. BBC link

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 09:20 AM
link   

I'd like to jump in here if I may.

There are 3 Squadrons using the Nimrod MR2, so there's certainly more than 3 aircraft!

Nimrod MR2 information

Damn, now I've found this thread, I'll have to hunt in the attic for some of my photo's

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 09:44 AM
link   
The picture shows a Nimrod MRA.4, not an MR.2. This is the latest model and is set to replace the MR.2 in RAF service, it has new Rolls BR710 turbofans instead of the old Spey's (see the much bigger a rounder intakes - for a real contrast compare these with the intakes on the Avon engined Comet that it is based on) and an all new bigger wing.

Who would think a plane that first flew in 1949 would still be in development and production in 2007, pretty astounding

MRA 4 (RR BR 710)

Comet 4 (RR Avon)

MR.2 (RR Spey)

[edit on 7-7-2007 by waynos]

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 06:37 PM
link   

this is a one of a kind 135. never even built more than one. then it "disappeared"

That looks like an early prototype for the RC-135 SIGINT fleet! I think you found one of the earily developmental aircraft without all the antannas.

Tim

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then

the locals used to take their dogs to that strip of beach and wait for the very large planes to take
off from that end of the runaway and when the planes accelerated to take off the draft of air was so strong that they would
throw their dogs in the air at the same sime and the force of the the jet air would catapult the dogs into the ocean!

[edit on 3/7/2007 by Now_Then]

It is Sint Maarten isnt it. Because i stood there on that beach!!!!!!!!!!!

I was on holiday/vacation to the Netherlands Antilles and we landed on Sint Maarten and i stood there at that beach!!!!!!!!

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Some not too rare aircraft pictures but good ones nontherles:

The Soviet "Concorde". It is called the Tupolev TU 144:

The most modern Russian commercial aircraft produced by IIyushin.
The IIyushin 96:

Happy viewing pleasures

posted on Jul, 7 2007 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then

This one deserves a mention, WestPoint23
posted it on this thread
Don't know any more about it other then he (she?) said its authentic and did not crash.

WOW! What is the story? I know it didn't take off.....did it?

I have heard of a C130 taking off the deck of a carrier, anyone got that picture?

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join