It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rare Aircraft Pictures

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2007 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkpr0

Originally posted by Dark Crystalline
The Mig29 is still the best interceptor craft.

Now, while I have a severe Russian bias, I gotta say: No. The MiG-29 is a good aircraft (and the MiG-35 is absolutely incredible showing off maneuvers), and I won't disagree with that. But saying that it is the best interceptor is quite a stretch. The MiG-29 is, to my knowledge, more made for air superiority... During the Cold War. If you want to say that a Russian aircraft is the ultimate interceptor, talk about the Su-35 or Su-37.

Actually I would think that the MiG-29 wouldn't be terribly inferior to the Su-27 all consisdered(I'm talking peak of the CW around late 80s)

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by waynos
Could you find the original for me Pistonzor? I've tried but I can't. I searched for 'American Boeing 767' and 'AA Boeing 767' and also '767 flameout' but without any luck.

Thanks if you can help.

I am truly aghast! For someone of Waynos' undoubted aerial nous, he can't tell his 6's from his 7's! Have a look for a 777 pic instead.

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 08:12 PM
link   
i98.photobucket.com...

Piggy back ride anyone?

Mod Edit: Image Size – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 13/3/2007 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 08:40 PM
link   

here is the orginal! sorry for the bad post

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 05:55 AM
link   
If someone post a Vulcan like this , which will be more rare indeed!

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 10:53 AM
link   
[edit on 13-3-2007 by skunkworks82]

posted on Mar, 13 2007 @ 11:00 AM
link   
[edit on 13-3-2007 by skunkworks82]

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 05:01 AM
link   
I think this thread is the best place to put this recent discovery.

It is a mach 7 scramjet powered twin fuselage SST, which is a fabulous enough concept on its own. Remarkably however it is from as far back as 1961! It was conceived by Ralph Hooper of Bristol (the blokes who built Concorde and who now build wings for Airbus) and was part of an effort to develop what we would now call a Scramjet (but it wasn't then) at that time. It is remarkable how advanced so many concepts were from so long ago that they are still amazing (and unachieved) almost half a century later. I'm not sure about those horn balances though.

[edit on 1-7-2007 by waynos]

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 06:55 AM
link   
The air inlets is the only point which is attractive to me, I'd like to see the 3 views of this concept.

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Those were some pretty interesting prototype aircraft, especially the concepts that Nasa had came up with, wonder what they've been up to now with the technology being years beyond what we've been seeing now!!

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by waynos
I think this thread is the best place to put this recent discovery.

Now there is a remarkable understatement.

Originally posted by waynosIt is remarkable how advanced so many concepts were from so long ago that they are still amazing (and unachieved) almost half a century later. .

No, what is remarkable is that you keep managing to pull these gems out of the bag. What have you done, invent a time machine place these ideas in the past, and now you have set yourself up as a historian of British aerospace engineering? (that would be the definition of self fullfilling prophecy would't it?)

Once again nice find

LEE.

posted on Jul, 1 2007 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by thebozeian

No, what is remarkable is that you keep managing to pull these gems out of the bag. What have you done, invent a time machine place these ideas in the past, and now you have set yourself up as a historian of British aerospace engineering? (that would be the definition of self fullfilling prophecy would't it?)

Well, he does have a tardis in his profile

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Yes I didn't even think about the TARDIS when I wrote that

That twin fuselage Bristol concept would have had some frighteningly complex aerodynamics. In particular around those nose cones at transonic/supersonic speeds. I would think they could impact on engine intake operation. Imagine ingesting "dirty" airflow at high speed that resulted in flame out on the engines on one side. It would give a new and interesting definition of asymmetric flight, not to mention an interesting experience for the flight crew.

LEE.

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Very interesting, waynos.

Do you have any information as to why the illustration bears RAF roundels?

Seems a little odd for a SST to be drawn with service markings.

The Winged Wombat

[edit on 2/7/07 by The Winged Wombat]

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Thats the thing that struck me Wombat, the RAF markings. The only reference in the entire piece to the RAF states that government support in the form of an order for the RAF is essential to allow the programme to reach a point where commercial success could be achieved, but there is no mention of role this might be in.

Interestingly it also warns that 'success on the scale of the Viscount is unlikely as that aircraft had no competition'. At this time it was really believed that high speed SST's would be commonplace by the mid 1970's.

edit;

I also found these images from Jan 1960 showing the Vickers Swallow. This is a completely separate programme but was proposed to the RAF as a V bomber replacement (the tail cone was an aft firing nuclear weapon to allow weapons release while moving away from the target) and also as a mach 3 cruising SST. Maybe the Bristol design was offered for the same role?

[edit on 2-7-2007 by waynos]

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Mommy and her little Baby...

[edit on 11-3-2007 by Dark Crystalline]

i've got some more momma and her baby....sorry it's a myspace link...but i just took them this weekend and put them in an album....it's the first time since 1985 that, that thing has been here....

viewmorepics.myspace.com...

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by thebozeian
Hmmm, Ill see you hundred and raise you!

Can someone get me some dip for my giant Dorito?

DCMD-12.jpg[/img]

What is the name of that ufo inspired Air Force Jet

posted on Jul, 3 2007 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Its the A-12 Avenger II, it was being developed for the USN, not the USAF, but it was axed, unflown, and they got the F/A-18E/F Super Hornet instead. Here's some model images that help to illustrate it;

[edit on 3-7-2007 by waynos]

posted on Jul, 3 2007 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Personal helecoptor? Yep those are two sets of rotors under that blokes feet! If you dont wait for that thing to wind down before jumping off youve only got your self to blame!

Your guess is as good as mine on this one!

This looks like a rocket stage transporter

Please inflate emergency raft after leaving the aircraft!!

Any one know why I can't embed pic any more, its all external links now - are the mods gitting stingy on bandwith (or is it more personal? should I shower more!?)

the locals used to take their dogs to that strip of beach and wait for the very large planes to take
off from that end of the runaway and when the planes accelerated to take off the draft of air was so strong that they would
throw their dogs in the air at the same sime and the force of the the jet air would catapult the dogs into the ocean!

[edit on 3/7/2007 by Now_Then]

posted on Jul, 3 2007 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then

Your guess is as good as mine on this one!
[edit on 3/7/2007 by Now_Then]

well...it looks like that venturi tube jet from a couple pages back....only with a jet engine...and no cockpit....

[edit on 3-7-2007 by wenfieldsecret]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join