It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Weird static electricity shocks?

page: 1
2

log in

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Just wondering, anyone know why I might be getting shocked when I try touching the water coming out of a faucet when I turned the water on with the other hand using a metal handle? Seems like I would have been shocked when my hand touched the handle. Instead I always get shocked when I try touching the water. Not really always but I never get shocked touching the metal handle. Is this weird?

I even started getting shocked touching metal objects in a club a couple weeks ago when a light shower passed overhead. I figure that was just the ground getting charged up due to a possible charge in the atmosphere building up with the showers outside.

Are some gray metallic looking faucet assemblies actually fake metal or nonconducting?




posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 11:48 PM
link   
As one who gets zapped all the time, the only thing that makes it better is if i use dryer sheets when i dry my laundry. Still, it doesnt help much.

I F#$%@ hate it!!!!!:shk:

I figure its a curse or something. I never got zapped with water, though.

The most terrifying is when its dark and you can see the spark at night.


I also put out all street lights in my path.

I guess i'm special.



posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 05:32 AM
link   
I get a zap regularly from the supermarket trolley when I go from touching the plastic to the metal on the trolley, it makes me laugh



posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I just walk around naked all the time. It keeps the static off my body, I don't think the neighbors mind either, they probably like it!!!!



posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 06:28 PM
link   


Are some gray metallic looking faucet assemblies actually fake metal or nonconducting?


Yes, some of the cheaper faucets have plastic bodies and handles. They sometimes have a metal cover over the valve body but that wouldn't be touching the water.



posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I got zapped a new way in a bad place for getting zapped. It was in Walmart. I've been zapped many times there. Maybe the place doesn't like me. Anyway they had new heavy duty bulky grocery carts with a big metal cage frame for the body. I was helping to pull a cart along the side and touching the metal at the same time. Suddenly I felt and heard a very loud zaaaap, or pow. Somehow a charge built up somewhere and zapped my hand that was already touching the metal. I'm not sure what's going on. I liked Walmart's lighter plastic grocery carts better.

hmmm, I was going to email Walmart and complain about those big bulky carts. I've been told the older people say they are too hard to turn and move around and as far as I'm concerned, they are too big as well and I don't like getting electrocuted by them.



posted on Mar, 15 2007 @ 08:27 AM
link   
The biggest offender to me is when i go open the car door!!!




Zap!!!



posted on Mar, 15 2007 @ 11:59 PM
link   
I haven't been zapped by the car door in ages. However yet again today, I moved the metal water faucet handle with my right hand and then I touched the water. I got a powerful shock when I touched the water. It didn't feel like just a little light spark but one that went deeper as if there was some current there. Maybe I need to contact the water company and tell them they need to take the static electricity out of the water.

Yeah, like they would believe me. I thought I used the same hand to turn on the water and then to touch the water. Maybe I'll try an experiment and try touching the metal sink before touching any of the water. Maybe the water is insulated and is only touching plastic until it comes out. That might explain why I keep getting shocked.



posted on Mar, 16 2007 @ 12:08 AM
link   
At least the static problem isn't as bad as it was one year in college. When the shock is painful it's really bad. I easily had enough juice that year to knock the TV out and to light up a big fluorescent light bulb (about 4 feet long), actually my zap only lit about a foot or so of the light. My roomate at the time told me it took 50,000 volts to light that thing up.

My roomate also had a small fluorescent desk lamp with two tiny bulbs in it. All he had to do was shake his bed blanket or roll over in bed and it would light up and stay lit for a whole minute. Both bulbs. It wasn't plugged in either. We didn't find out about it until I complained about him constantly turning on his light during the middle of the night. He told me he thought it was lightning a lot.



new topics

top topics



 
2

log in

join