It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

other ways of privacy invasion?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 10:27 PM
link   
i remember reading a while ago that it was possible to make access to the internet possible through any electrical plug.

..since we have never seen that possibility made real and offered to us, could it perhaps exist without our knowledge.
are we online and completely unaware?
do our new flatscreen, HD TVs send data about our use, or anything else imaginable, without us knowing?
possible..

..could our worry about them tracking us other ways be to distract us.. and to gather other data no gained from our plugs?

i just started thinking about this tonight.. and it's not very well thought out, for sure.

i just wanted to get some more opinions.. other ways of thinking before i devote any more time
to just my own thoughts.

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by hollyjo
i remember reading a while ago that it was possible to make access to the internet possible through any electrical plug.

..since we have never seen that possibility made real and offered to us, could it perhaps exist without our knowledge.
do our new flatscreen, HD TVs send data about our use, or anything else imaginable, without us knowing?
possible..

..could our worry about them tracking us other ways be to distract us.. and to gather other data no gained from our plugs?

i just started thinking about this tonight.. and it's not very well thought out, for sure.

i just wanted to get some more opinions.. other ways of thinking before i devote any more time to just my own thoughts.

I don't think that's possible unless some kind of chip or camera was installed. It would cost the manufacturer money to put in a chip and it's not worth their time.

They do have things that can listen to you, see what you're typing on your computer and soforth from a truck on the street. It's unlikely to be used on an average person, though.

Have you ever heard of war chalking? That's when someone with a laptop drives around looking for wireless Internet connections - someone with a router that didn't password protect their wireless lan. They usually do it in business areas looking for free internet access. Some companies actually allow this free access from wireless laptops.

The cable companies also are able to drive around and see who has illegal cable connections.

One thing that's a rather blatant privacy invasion is when stores and delivery men get you to sign for purchases or deliveries using a touch pen pad. That digitally captures your signature! I had a delivery this week where the guy did that and when I looked on the Web to see the notification they actually had my signature posted for anyone to see who knew my delivery status number. Fortunately, important signatures require a witness and a notary but I was not amused to see that.

Don't go getting all paranoid on us now.

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 11:55 PM
link   

I believe your thinking of something like this HomePlug Ethernet Adapter The band width is low, but its quite clever - it uses existing mains in a building as a simple way to network computers over a short distance, data is transmitted at a frequency that the AC power wont affect. Would be handy in Offices / hospitals where computers have to be moved frequently, no good for high speed internet tho, and computers have to be on the same loop of course.

Dont know about privicy matters tho - anythings possable

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 12:18 AM
link   
i had no clue about it, just something i thought and became curious about.

thanks for helping me out. : )

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 12:36 AM
link   
I'm serious, mind your manners at all times and be fully dressed unless you're in bed.
You're being monitored by your tv and computers.

The Orwellian age is here.

Read the book then prepare yourself, comrade.

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 12:38 AM
link   

possible..

i just wanted to get some more opinions.. other ways of thinking before i devote any more time
to just my own thoughts.

www.techcrunch.com...

I think this is what your talking about. Google spying. Google hands over a ton of info to the government agencies. Of course to catch the "terrorists" LOL. What a load that is. Eventually the government agencies will have a back door (if they don't already) into every part of your life.

[edit on 7-3-2007 by leafer]

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 02:34 AM
link   
alright. i went searching. found these via google.

en.wikipedia.org...

and esp. look at this part..

en.wikipedia.org...

this too :

www.cbsnews.com...
thoughts?

[edit on 7-3-2007 by hollyjo]

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
I'm serious, mind your manners at all times and be fully dressed unless you're in bed.
You're being monitored by your tv and computers.

The Orwellian age is here.

Read the book then prepare yourself, comrade.

I really need to read 1984. Heh.

I doubt the gov. would put cameras in your tv, I think they'd rather monitor what you watch, which is easy.

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 05:04 PM
link   

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

this too :

www.cbsnews.com...
thoughts?

It is a technology that is coming but they can spy on your current internet just the same as this one.

I'm wondering what con job they will use to get cameras in our homes.

Maybe home alarm systems and insurance companies might offer a rediciously low rate for anyone who installs them into their homes because this will lower the overall rates. LOL.

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by leafer

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

this too :

www.cbsnews.com...
thoughts?

It is a technology that is coming but they can spy on your current internet just the same as this one.

I'm wondering what con job they will use to get cameras in our homes.

Maybe home alarm systems and insurance companies might offer a rediciously low rate for anyone who installs them into their homes because this will lower the overall rates. LOL.

Home alarm systems, they are already capable telling the government where your at in your house, when you leave, when a door is opened. THey come with door sensors and motion sensors. Basically any major movement the home alarm system companies could tell the government.
I don't trust them.

[edit on 7-3-2007 by Charles Lee]

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 01:11 AM
link   

I'm in the UK, here a few insurance comps offer a 'pay as you drive' insurance using GPS and when you drive to give you a monthly bill. Its sort of a pre curser to road charging. ?scary

As far as internet / tellevision /CCTV and any other monitoring goes, i'm aware of it, but now, not so bothered. Isn't that supposed to be he point.

I should be paranoid.

[edit on 8/3/2007 by Now_Then]

new topics

top topics

join