It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reporters Will Be Barred From Terror Hearings

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Reporters Will Be Barred From Terror Hearings

www.cbsnews.com

(AP) Reporters will be barred from hearings that begin Friday in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, for 14 terror suspects transferred last year from secret CIA prisons, officials said Tuesday.

Interest in the 14 is particularly high because of their alleged links to the al Qaeda network. Among them is Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, suspected mastermind of the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks on the United States. He was captured in Pakistan in March 2003.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
CIA Secrets More Important than Truth of Torture

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 07:55 PM
link   
The convenience of having a prison, and base on foreign land, is apparent now, perhaps more than ever.

A secret justice system, with no accountability will most likely dispense justice as they wish.

www.cbsnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Where are reporters given the express legal and constitutional right to observe any military trial they wish too? Did I miss something? Even forgetting the fact that sensitive or secret information pertaining to national security might be discussed. Sorry but I don't trust reporters whose job depends on air time.

Everything is on a need to know basis...

[edit on 6-3-2007 by WestPoint23]

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 08:19 PM
link   
I suppose there's a loophole for getting by the 1st Amendment (freedom of the press) during military trials, as in the "since the military is directly owned by the federal government, the constitution doesn't apply" (even though they swear to uphold and defend it), or something on that lines.

Kinda emphasizes the need for the Patriot Act (could label anyone a domestic terrorist) and the MCA of 06 (takes away habeas corpus for military tribunals) doesn't it... keeping a means available to bypass the constitution for anyone... in a round about way.

It's not about keeping reporters out of the military trials... it's more about keeping anyone into the military tribunals.

[edit on 3/6/2007 by Infoholic]

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I fail to understand how the US has managed to make such a mess of the detention of prisoners. The smart move would have to draw up an international convention that would allow countries to detain, interrogate suspected and captured extremists. Torture should be a no go.

Putting other issues aside the Geneva Convention is geared towards POW s who will attempt to escape but not intentionally harm the local population in doing so. No trial would be needed if the prisoners have legal status once there captured.

new topics

top topics

join