It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You are making me old.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I’ve noticed a startling trend in posting that must stop.

There is an increasing population of people who have decided that replacing time-consuming words like “the” and “one” with quick and easy equivalents like “da” and “1” really help them to get their point across. Many of these same individuals are also saving oodles of time by simply leaving vowels out of their posts. (e.g., “level” becomes “lvl”, “idiot” becomes “dt”, etc.)

If you are one of these posters:

Stop it.

Stop it. Stop it. Stop it.

It makes me feel old, and I hate that.

I know that the origins of these techniques lie somewhere between fifth and sixth period where you simply don’t have time to insert vowels into your text message beckoning little Janie to make out with you behind the shop portable. Those techniques are vital to quick school-hallway communication. I get that.

But you are not in a school hallway. You are on a conspiracy message board, which is clearly far more important than school will ever be to you. To put it in terms of this site: the only thing worse than reading about a “sasquatch viewing from an alien vessel on 9/11” is trying to understand WHAT THE F a “ssqwtch vu 4rm aln vsl on 911” is.

You make me say things like:

“Kids these days…”

And

“Get an education you punk.”

…and I'm not ready to be like this…I'm really not.

So please take an extra ten seconds to spell words out and actually form sentences.

It will make me a better, younger, human.

Peace doggs,
Essedarius

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Essedarius
WHAT THE F a “ssqwtch vu 4rm aln vsl on 911” is.

Well, if that's the way you are seeing stuff, then you have one hell of a rant! I can't read the entire sentence you wrote above! Kids these days, and yes...the punks should grow up. That’s terrible! Not even worth trying to read really :shk:

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Thank you.

Thank you!
Thank you!
Thank you!

It needed to be said.

It's not a nice feeling to only be in your mid-thrities and feel that way, but oh - I do sometimes. I really do.

*sigh*

GREAT RANT!

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Essedarius
I’ve noticed a startling trend in posting that must stop.

There is an increasing population of people who have decided that replacing time-consuming words like “the” and “one” with quick and easy equivalents like “da” and “1” really help them to get their point across. Many of these same individuals are also saving oodles of time by simply leaving vowels out of their posts. (e.g., “level” becomes “lvl”, “idiot” becomes “dt”, etc.)

If you are one of these posters:

Stop it.

Stop it. Stop it. Stop it.

It makes me feel old, and I hate that.

I know that the origins of these techniques lie somewhere between fifth and sixth period where you simply don’t have time to insert vowels into your text message beckoning little Janie to make out with you behind the shop portable. Those techniques are vital to quick school-hallway communication. I get that.

But you are not in a school hallway. You are on a conspiracy message board, which is clearly far more important than school will ever be to you. To put it in terms of this site: the only thing worse than reading about a “sasquatch viewing from an alien vessel on 9/11” is trying to understand WHAT THE F a “ssqwtch vu 4rm aln vsl on 911” is.

You make me say things like:

“Kids these days…”

And

“Get an education you punk.”

…and I'm not ready to be like this…I'm really not.

So please take an extra ten seconds to spell words out and actually form sentences.

It will make me a better, younger, human.

Peace doggs,
Essedarius

I agree with many of those statements there.
, you just have to ignore those idiots, they don't get a proper education, so JUST FORGIVE THEM. The same goes with a lot of the members here.

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Apart from: LOL! and LMFAO! I TOTALLY agree. I hate this stupid leet speak, or text speak.

Kids these days. :shk:

Oh, by the way, I am 14.

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I agree with the 14 year old, and I'm 43.
Makes me feel not quite so old....
You don't sag your pants, do you?

posted on Mar, 17 2007 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Another one i hate is ppl. How hard is it to spell the whole word. What does it take, an extra second or two, whats the rush!
There is real magic in words put together properly in a sentence that is just being lost to this generation.
Turning in their graves, Poe, Blake, Shelley, Byron, Lovecraft, the list goes on.

posted on Mar, 17 2007 @ 03:11 AM
link   
I'm only 19, almost 20, and I'm way out of the loop as far as highschool stuff goes. My younger brother notices it. It's pretty damn sad...I can't imagine what I'll be like when I'm 30.

posted on Mar, 17 2007 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Well, I think this post may put Lysergic off the deep end.

But honestly, I don't think I've come across this very often on these boards. I may have lucked out and been clicking on the right threads. I've yet to see this on any regular basis.

...I feel kinda left out.

posted on Mar, 17 2007 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
Well, I think this post may put Lysergic off the deep end.

LOL...Sorry Lys' ya know i love ya.

posted on Apr, 11 2007 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by mojo4sale
Another one i hate is ppl. How hard is it to spell the whole word. What does it take, an extra second or two, whats the rush!
There is real magic in words put together properly in a sentence that is just being lost to this generation.
Turning in their graves, Poe, Blake, Shelley, Byron, Lovecraft, the list goes on.

Exactly.. This is why the youth of today appear to be "less educated" for lack of a better phrase, becasue this is how they grew up.

No one ever said, now Johnny, you need to have good grammar in order to be respected by your peers, so they use it, but no one ever made the distinction that they had to use proper grammar in school.

I have heard that kids are actually writing like this in class. I mean come one people...by the time our kids are adults, we are just going to be reading a string of letters, and have to interpret them by ourselves.

IWNOHECTSA

I wish no one had ever created these stupid abbreviations

new topics

top topics

join