It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tritium Nukes vs. asteroids...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2003 @ 08:15 PM
link   
I was wondering, after reading about how much more powerfull tritium nukes are, does mankind now possess the power to take out a sizable planet killer asteroid??

posted on Dec, 22 2003 @ 08:25 PM
link   
im not sure if the US has started producing tritium again, as our supply is running out due to the 12.4 year half life.

posted on Dec, 22 2003 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Heres the deal..

tritium boosted nukes are like Little Boy and Fat Man..

As boosted..

The most powerful nukes are thermo-nuclear ones..

There are in Mega ton class yields.. (millions of tons TNT..)

And tritium booted nukes are in Kilo ton class yields.. (thousands of tons TNT..)
(boosted from 10kt to 100kt or more.. up to 400kt?)

To give you some thing to which to compare: ww2 bombs that were used were 5-12kt ineffect..

posted on Dec, 24 2003 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Heh you think those are bad? Look up the term "Gigaton Mines". Deuterium filled vessels the size of a submarine, bring them up to a coast and detonate....kiss your continent goodbye.

posted on Dec, 24 2003 @ 09:32 PM
link   
I could be wrong, but arent tritium bombs just another type of 'salted' bomb? like cobalt treated fuels?
These types of bombs have higher radiation yields, but the actual blast yield is not that much bigger, if at all.

posted on Dec, 24 2003 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Do we actauly have technology capable of reaching these Asteroids and delivering weapons?

Deep

posted on Dec, 24 2003 @ 09:39 PM
link   
were we able to even FIND the #er before it was on our doorstep, maybe we could pull something off...

posted on Dec, 25 2003 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by DjNothing
I could be wrong, but arent tritium bombs just another type of 'salted' bomb? like cobalt treated fuels?
These types of bombs have higher radiation yields, but the actual blast yield is not that much bigger, if at all.

Link!

Not really..

For examble, it would multiply yield of gun-type-of-design 5 fold..

From 20 to 100kt..

But it is also used in thermonucluar weapons etc.. and in neuotron bombs.. how and how much of it is used affects how it (tritium) functions in a nuke..

posted on Dec, 25 2003 @ 03:14 PM
link   
i wish i could get my hands on a few grams of tritium, you could live off the money that would pull in for a few lifetimes, most expensive material out there that is obtainable (otherwise plutonium would be the most expensive)

on topic now. As Fulcrum said boosted fission weapons are not the most powerful type, they have a definite limit on the size to yield ratio. If you want a larger weapon you go to thermo-nuclear (fusion) bombs. Or if you want more efficiency you go to neutron weapons.

top topics

join