It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Human Genes in GM Rice!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Scary article here:

www.dailymail.co.uk...

The first GM food crop containing human genes is set to be approved for commercial production.

Luckily the article leans toward this being a _BAD_ idea.

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Good grief, what next?! That's a frightening proposition.

At what point do they stop? When does any of this become so unethical that even the money grabber proponents become nervous? Hmm, silly question really when I read it back! Never mind

Grey

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 12:42 AM
link   
This certainly does sound frightening to me. I don't really like the idea of GM food, and there is something really unsettling about food containing human genes like that, although I can't point to something and say why, except the grossness factor of eating your own genes, so to speak.

I'd rather not see this go through, but if it does, I hope that the food is very clearly labelled as such in stores. I also hope that they can keep the GM crops separate from natural crops, but according to past track records, that probably won't happen.

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Wow the NWO is really fast tracking their mass kill off of the mass population.

Great job guys

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Get the sacks of rice from Japan or China that are at every store in the world.

Its better anyway.

Human genes my foot.

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by gopher mines
The first GM food crop containing human genes is set to be approved for commercial production.

So what?

A 'gene' is just a string of chemicals. Pretty common chemicals, at that, stuff like carbon and hydrogen and oxygen. It is not 'alive'. There is no magic to it.

Could someone please explain to me why this is scary, and what all the fuss is about? Or is it -- as I suspect -- the usual mix of underinformation and overexcitement?

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Soylent Green

That was the first thought that came to mind.

The reason it's "scary" is that rice was fine as rice before hand. If it's common human genes then we all already have them why add more?

To much of any vitamin or mineral is considered to be bad for you thats why they have recomended doses. Extra genes entering your body even though ingestion may be no different.

The article reads that it might be used to help treat diarrhoea but is not a definite. It also states that the proteins are found in saliva and milk. If I recall prions are made of proteins.

en.wikipedia.org...
www.cdc.gov...

Prions (PREE-ons) are proteins that are unique in their ability to reproduce on their own and become infectious. They can occur in two forms called PrP-sen and PrP-res.

learn.genetics.utah.edu...

We already have enough human to animal to human disease I would realy rather stay away from human to plant to human.

Funny how we as a species always say things like "Oh that will never happen" and yet it does.

Raist

[edit on 3/7/07 by Raist]

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 02:43 AM
link   
There is a documentary on youtube, I believe its called the future of food. I followed a link from ATS to watch it at some point so someone probably knows the film in question.

I'm no luddite, since that term seems so popular these days, however uncontrolled genetic contamination should concern everyone. It's one thing to splice a few genes into an animal, as they are easier to contain and exterminate in case they get free.

But when pollin catches a breeze, or hitches a ride on some insects, it is a different beast all together. Monsanto and its starlink corn is a prime example of why people oppose this type of testing. Random contamination from seeds flying off a dumptruck getting into a field. Then monsanto sueing the farmer because his field contained patented GM corn. And winning...

Farmers in mexico having 1000's of years of area specific corn (genetically fitted to the specific climate zones) wiped out from frankencrop contamination.

Anyways that new seed bank in antartica to save the genetic variety of the planet "just in case" doesnt seem so out of hand, because once the genetic genie is out of the bottle, it cannot be put back.

Now I admit to not actually reading the article so perhaps they are taking better precautions, but I just wanted to rail against this type of thing.

Monsanto wants to create a terminator seed. Where every seed produced by a plant is sterile. All so they can make money by forcing people to buy new seeds every single year, as opposed to having farmers save seeds.

Btw I'm not against progress. Some modified products dont bother me as I'm sure most have already eaten some modified corn already. Irridated beef doesnt bug me.

Now I know plants are genetically modified and have been for thousands of years. A better fuller plant with a higher yeild year after year no problem. Sticking drug producing bacteria genes into a plant where it could tamper with long term food supplies, genetic stability and livlihoods concerns the hell out of me.

If done with the proper precautions though, I'd be more open to the idea. Like lowpressure greenhouses that are sealed to minimized pollen and insect transmition of genetic material. Like a damn bi0hazard level 4 area where plague, smallpox and 1918 flu samples are kept.

Anyways my thoughts on this subject and pardon the spelling errors. There is bound to be a few.

new topics

top topics

join