It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earth Killing Asteroids - No Money To Look For Them

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by InSanE1
Probably not the easiest solution, yet in my opinion probable. There was a probe that kept up with an asteroid and collected particles from it, so I don't see a reason for us not to be able to get infront of it and tow it briefly to make it shift direction.

I remember that probe. So I guess it is possible. I don't know but if you rammed it with some sort of a craft that was able to actually fire an engine once hitting it, I would think that would work for a lot less effort.

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 01:48 PM
link   
It would make sense to find a practical way or destroying or diverting an asteroid first and then start to look for them.

The current administration would have to be morons not to spend $1b on finding these things considering how many times that amount they spend on ways to kill other humans and they probably feel that it would bring on the rapture anyway.

Unfortunately the current administration are morons so I don't expect anything to get done.

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Okay as important as it is too search and if needed impede one of these killer asteroids wouldnt the whole earth suffer an impact? Im thinking that Nasa and other partners in space nations invest in a agreeable and interfacing search system. For Nasa to foot this bill solely is a bit too much for even the US. NASA allready suffers horribly on the space station and shuttle costs. Here's to hope though.

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 10:30 PM
link   
btw i thought i would mention that i was reading an article i cant remember where but ill look for it and if i find it post it on here but anway there are astroids that have flew past us that we didnt even know about and they were closer to earth then the moon is and we didnt know about it till after they passed because there was some kind of blind spot i dont know but its pretty scary stuff. im gonna see if i can find where i was reading this

[edit on 7-3-2007 by xHADEEZx]

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 10:49 PM
link   
The likelihood of a major impact by an asteroid, or comet, that would cause widespread destruction and death is phenomenally remote.

However, I suppose it is possible, and that alone would be reason to have some plan to fund observatories to watch for such threats.

I can't help but wonder what if anything could be done if such a threat was discovered, and with a certainty of Earth impact, what if anything could or would be done.

In a worst case scenario where a very large asteroid were to impact Earth I am not sure anything could be done to prevent it. Everything living on this planet would likely die.

In this interesting Japanese video animation, you can see what such an event may be like...

I believe the chance of me picking a single winning lottery ticket, at the same moment getting struck by lightning, and abducted by aliens from space is far, FAR greater than ever having to worry about something like this. But we never really do know for sure, do we?

[edit on 7-3-2007 by UM_Gazz]

<< 1   >>

join