It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Earth Killing Asteroids - No Money To Look For Them

page: 1
3
<<   2 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Earth Killing Asteroids - No Money To Look For Them


www.msnbc.msn.com

NASA officials say the space agency is capable of finding nearly all the asteroids that might pose a devastating hit to Earth, but there isn't enough money to pay for the task so it won't get done.

The cost to find at least 90 percent of the 20,000 potentially hazardous asteroids and comets by 2020 would be about $1 billion, according to a report NASA will release later this week.
(visit the link for the full news article)




posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 09:12 AM
link   
With all of the monies being spent on frivolous things these days, I don't understand why something with this high level of importance can't find funding.

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)



posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 09:30 AM
link   
I dont understand. These observatories alredy exist. Many are at universities and research insitutes and theres plenty of students in the field so wheres the cost coming from?

The students pay the universities to participate in these projects through tuition and time.

This should be the most inexpensive project in history. If operated correctly it could even make money.

Even if a researcher or student had nothing to gain in watching for asteroids why would they, believing they will kill us as I assume they do believe, just walk away and complain about not getting paid? Unless they dont believe its a real threat and theyre just trying to literally scare up some money ala global warming.



posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Yeah, it didn't make any sense to me either. I wasn't aware of the University and research institutes, but what you say does make sense.

Don't you think this is a rather important issue? The way the current administration throws billions and trillions of dollars around. One billion dollars really doesn't sound like too much money.
Is it just me?



posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by lombozo
Yeah, it didn't make any sense to me either. I wasn't aware of the University and research institutes, but what you say does make sense.

Don't you think this is a rather important issue? The way the current administration throws billions and trillions of dollars around. One billion dollars really doesn't sound like too much money.
Is it just me?


Spending across the board is ridiculous and obscene but I cant help but get the feeling youre just trying to get Bush bashing thread out of this.



posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

Spending across the board is ridiculous and obscene but I cant help but get the feeling youre just trying to get Bush bashing thread out of this.


Actually no, I'm not in any way trying to get a Bush bashing thread going. I'm simply pointing out the fact that unbelievable amounts of money are being spent, but that funding for this project can't be accomplished.



posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by lombozo

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

Spending across the board is ridiculous and obscene but I cant help but get the feeling youre just trying to get Bush bashing thread out of this.


Actually no, I'm not in any way trying to get a Bush bashing thread going. I'm simply pointing out the fact that unbelievable amounts of money are being spent, but that funding for this project can't be accomplished.


Okay, just checking. Sorry for assuming.



posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Surely, it doesn't matter if we spot one or not? At present we do not have the technology to save us from an "Earth Killing Asteroid" so spending money to find them would be a waste? Surely the money would be being spent on finding a way to stop them from hitting us or destorying them before they could hit us? (And no, Hollywood Movies do not count as research.)



posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

Originally posted by lombozo

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

Spending across the board is ridiculous and obscene but I cant help but get the feeling youre just trying to get Bush bashing thread out of this.


Actually no, I'm not in any way trying to get a Bush bashing thread going. I'm simply pointing out the fact that unbelievable amounts of money are being spent, but that funding for this project can't be accomplished.


Okay, just checking. Sorry for assuming.


No problem at all my good man. It's all good.
Now, don't you think that trying to locate asteroids that could potentially hurt our planet is a rather important thing? Now whether we could actually do anything about it once it has been found is another thing entirely.



posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by lombozo


With all of the monies being spent on frivolous things these days, I don't understand why something with this high level of importance can't find funding.

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)



I hate to be so pesimistic, but your right if Oprah spends millions on posh yoga classes in africa. Celebs continue on as the self indulgent ego-maniacs that they are, all the while the world leaders spend every last dollar on faster more efficent means of death, a ELE asteroid would be like winning the lottery.

But seriously were not intelligent enough as a species to last much longer.


If you had an ant farm and the ants spent the whole time making high priced sand dresses and jewlrey, while there leaders spent all of their time figuring outh how to kill eatchother instead of trying to figure out a way out of there little "antfarm" would you care if it fell off your desk into the trash??



posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Odium
Surely, it doesn't matter if we spot one or not? At present we do not have the technology to save us from an "Earth Killing Asteroid" so spending money to find them would be a waste? Surely the money would be being spent on finding a way to stop them from hitting us or destorying them before they could hit us? (And no, Hollywood Movies do not count as research.)


Aww man that didnt even occur to me!

Its like, okay we've got one. Now what?
The best I can think of would be to blow it up ahead of time and hope the pieces are small enough to not destroy us all but only a few of us. Or try to divert its path with a similar explosion.

More money into space weapons! We could combine the two. Earth defense and space weapons.



posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 12:00 PM
link   
A good point has been brought up here though, we as far as I know do not have the technology to destroy the asteroid, however in my opinion it's still better to know about the potential of one hitting us and at least attempting to destroy / divert it rather than having it hit us by surprise.

Sadly such money will probably not be provided to NASA due to large spending on the war. (No I'm not trying to bash Bush, I'm just sure that the was has top priority over everything at the moment.)

Hmmm here's a thought:

Imagine a powerful weapon is created that can destroy or divert the asteroid from a great distance to ensure that not even pieces of it land on Earth. The progress made in weapon design to create such a weapon will inevitibly be used for warfare as well. Wouldn't it be ironic if a weapon used to save us all, would ultimetly end up being the same weapon that destroys us.



posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Most of you have already spotted the contradiction in regards to the financing of this operation..

Ask yourself, is there a reason they don't want to observe the sky and tell us whats up there? Is it because they already know something is heading our way?..



posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by shrunkensimon
Most of you have already spotted the contradiction in regards to the financing of this operation..

Ask yourself, is there a reason they don't want to observe the sky and tell us whats up there? Is it because they already know something is heading our way?..


One possability is that they wouldnt tell us. Theyd want to keep down rioting and other end-of-the-world style activities.

But then, if the world was ending, why would it matter at all if everyone freaked out and went nuts? Its not like there'd be anything left to govern. Its not like there would be elections to have and votes to win if we're all dead or dying.

And Im inclined to believe that even if all of the big name facilities that saw impending doom from the sky were bought into silence sooner or later an ametuer astronomer would notice a big, Earth killing asteroid coming this way.



posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Although it would not make a difference wether they make it public or not because the end result would still be the same. I'm sure that the public won't be notified because the government and probably some elite selected few will have a bunker within some mountain or underground where they may be safe from impact. Making a public announcement about such a threat will make retreat into their safe area difficult so we'll have very little warning when / if this occurs.


[edit on 6-3-2007 by InSanE1]



posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by InSanE1
A good point has been brought up here though, we as far as I know do not have the technology to destroy the asteroid, however in my opinion it's still better to know about the potential of one hitting us and at least attempting to destroy / divert it rather than having it hit us by surprise.

Acutally, they're not looking at destroying it, but rather at DIVERTING it. It's much easier to nudge it outwards if you catch it quite a distance from Earth. It's possible that simply sending a heavy enough spaceship to fly next to it (remember, everything has gravity... even you have a very tiny gravitational field) could nudge it offcourse.

NASA, as I understand it, is trying to get funding to research this (just how much offcourse can they move an asteroid ... and how quickly does that work).



posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 08:29 AM
link   
I mentioned diverting it, however I'm thinking with a missle or something along those lines.

Ramming it is a thought that didn't really cross my mind it's an interesting idea.


Now that I think about it maybe it could also be towed...

[edit on 7-3-2007 by InSanE1]



posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 08:47 AM
link   
I don't know the logistics, but I don't think that towing it can actually be an option. The asteroid would be flying at a pretty high rate of speed, and keeping up with it, and attaching a tow line would be a pretty big task IMHO.



posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Am I right in thinking the $1B is $1B spent over 13 years? or $1B now to track things we have the current capability to detect that may be a danger to us from now until 2020? Either way, $1B is chump change, but even so why should NASA front the whole shebang? Dividing the $1B burden amongst the 200-some odd countries of the world should make it much more palatable, eh? But, umm, that's for 90% detection rate, with my luck...



posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by lombozo
I don't know the logistics, but I don't think that towing it can actually be an option. The asteroid would be flying at a pretty high rate of speed, and keeping up with it, and attaching a tow line would be a pretty big task IMHO.


Probably not the easiest solution, yet in my opinion probable. There was a probe that kept up with an asteroid and collected particles from it, so I don't see a reason for us not to be able to get infront of it and tow it briefly to make it shift direction.



new topics

top topics



 
3
<<   2 >>

log in

join