It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Epileptic seizures sparked by tooth brushing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Epileptic seizures sparked by tooth brushing

www.newscientist.com

Tooth brushing can induce seizures in people with epilepsy, a new case study of three people with the condition has found.

“Brushing your teeth is very rhythmic. Our idea is that it causes a rhythmic over-activity in the brain, which feeds back on itself – similar to the effect of strobe lighting on people with photosensitive epilepsy,” says neurologist Wendyl D’Souza of St Vincent’s Hospital in Melbourne, Australia, one of the team reporting the cases.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 07:58 AM
link   
This is a very good find in the fight against epilepsy. Rhythmic actions such as brushing teeth can now give us a way to fight epilepsy while performing other routine tasks.

www.newscientist.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 08:29 AM
link   
i may have not read the whole article, but how does avoiding brushing your teeth help fight against seizures?

'welp 'ole johnboy got a mouth like week old roadkill, but he aint seized up while brushing his teeth'

i find this comparison, to be one of those no way out medical anomolies

it is similar to alcohol consumption is bad for you, if you drink you risk liver failure. but if you don't drink you'll have a higher chance of heart disease.

-adhd

[edit on 6-3-2007 by ADHDsux4me]

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Not brushing your teeth...heh...just how rhythmic activities can cause seizures. It will help us determine how the brain reacts to certain rhythmic activities. I feel bad for those people who will go into seizures performing other rythmic activities...if you get my drift.

new topics

top topics

join