It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Home Hit By Suspected Meteorite

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Home Hit By Suspected Meteorite

abcnews.go.com

BLOOMINGTON, Ill. Mar 5, 2007 (AP)— When Dee Riddle heard breaking glass inside her central Illinois home on Monday morning, she first thought a bathroom mirror had shattered. But what had broken was a bedroom window and what had caused it to break was an object that had fallen from space, scientists called in to investigate concluded.

The small metallic object found near the window was most likely a meteorite, said Robert "Skip" Nelson, a geology professor at Illinois State University.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Small metallic object, possible meteorite.

Or, perhaps extraterrestrial debris?

[edit on 5-3-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Hey isn't this like the second time this has happened in the past few weeks? Not that that means anything..Except maybe...The Sky is Falling!!! Run For Your Lives!!!!!

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by gotanybob
Hey isn't this like the second time this has happened in the past few weeks? Not that that means anything..Except maybe...The Sky is Falling!!! Run For Your Lives!!!!!

Yeah the last one was in New jersey and it trashed someones bathroom. The same type of object it looked gold in color and it was metallic. Strange unless someone is going around with a catapult. LOL

Pie

[edit on 5-3-2007 by ThePieMaN]

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I wish one would land in my backyard. Some meteorites are very very valuable. I'seen some valued at over $100,000 USD.

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Meterorites do have a large value also. So both those people are pretty lucky there. I would guess the damage they did will be far out priced by the value of the meterorites.

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Thats if they get to keep it?

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 03:46 AM
link   
I have been seeing a lot of what I believed to be shooting stars in the skies lately. I was wondering if anyone else was seeing this.
After seeing this story I wonder now if it might be meteorites or space junk. How could you tell the difference, whether it was a star or meteorite? Has anyone else noticed an increase of sightings (shooting stars)?

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_
Thats if they get to keep it?

Phoenix,
I do remember one case where I don't think they kept the meteorite, and as it relates to space junk I think that has been challenged in Court. But my main point is, who else is going to lay claim to a meteorite that is on your land? An argument could be made for mineral rights. But I would say a meteorite is not a natural resource.
If I find any thing else out about this I will post it.

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I'd like to see what this object is. Actually-- from my recollection from what you quoted the article did not say what hit the house. So speculation points out that this may have been a meteorite but still I think that would be pretty cool for one of those to hit my house.

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 03:01 PM
link   
It sounds as if this thing that broke the window was found lying on the floor. If it was a meteorite, then those things travel at any speed between 10 to 70 kilometres per second. I don't think a flimsy window - or even the roof - would hamper the meteorites speed enough so taht it just landed on the floor and did not go though. Unless this 'small metallic object' was found quite a ways underground

Take the case in Australia where a couple was sitting on a beach and suddenly there was this loud noise, and a tiny but very deep, very straight hole appeared in the sand next to them. If something can push through sand with that much impunity, then a pane of glass shouldn't be much of a problem.

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Did she absorb the radiation and gain any superpowers??

Smallville anyone...

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 12:41 AM
link   
I wish that thing hit where I live - those things are worth $$$$$$$

Its the lottery falling from the sky lol

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Yeah, with so much debris flaoting around this planet, it could very well be just a piece of a burnt up sattelite.

I got to see a meteor come down once, looked like a huge green flame streaking through the air. At first I though... Oh boy, some poor pilot isn't getting out of that one alive... until they reported on the news that it was in fact a meteor. About the size of a basketball... for something so small, it had a HUGE flame.

I've never gotten the chance to go and pick on up though. That would be something to tell the grandchildren.

I have however, touched one of the apollo re-entry modules... it's really something to be able to touch a piece of history... but then again, I also got to touch one of Hitlers cars. But that obviously hadn't been where the lander had been.

They really should have placed better plexyglass walls around that re-entry capsule, feeling the heatshield, it would be easy for someone to break a piece off to keep for themselves.

Anyhow, as I was saying, with all the obsolete sattelites out there, I wouldnt be suprised if this was just a piece of one which came too low, and dropped out of orbit.

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by RedGolem
Meterorites do have a large value also. So both those people are pretty lucky there. I would guess the damage they did will be far out priced by the value of the meterorites.

If the one in New Jersey is "colored yellow or gold" i would bet there is a possibility it was some frozen pee which was flushed from an airplane.

[edit on 7-3-2007 by Muaddib]

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib

If the one in New Jersey is "colored yellow or gold" i would bet there is a possibility it was some frozen pee which was flushed from an airplane.

Actually if it came from an air plane it should be colored blue. And since that did not ender the atmosphere at great speed it rarely does damage from what I have heard.

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 04:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by UM_Gazz

Small metallic object, possible meteorite.

Or, perhaps extraterrestrial debris?

[edit on 5-3-2007 by UM_Gazz]

One in the same, my friend. hehe

TheBorg

new topics

top topics

join