It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Recommendations on an emergency heat source

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Hi,
Could anyone recommend a reliable emergency heat source (kerosene powered or otherwise)?
Thanks.

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I would say a box of waterproof matches is about as reliable as a heat source as you can get, as long as you have dry and burnable materials like paper and wood around.

Otherwise I would recommend a small propane-powered camping heater of some kind. The only problem with that is running out of gas.

This Infra Red Heater seems like a good choice to me.

Here is a very portable one that will provide you with 27 hours of heat.

Kerosene heaters seem to be in the >$300 range.

Just make sure not to use them inside, obviously

If you want a good heat source that you can use indoors and have there permanentally, I'd get a wood stove (ie. fireplace).

[edit on 5-3-2007 by Yarcofin]

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Another good chance to remind everyone: Check your fireplace/ woodstove chimneys. Got to have proper ventilation.
Every year Darwin awards go out to those using their BBQ grill inside to stay warm during a power outage.

Body heat and a down sleeping bag combo is still my favorite

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 01:22 PM
link   
This may sound like a stupid reply, but I live in an area that is heavily forested, and we lose power repeatedly in the winter, sometimes for 24 to 48 hours depending on a snow, or windstorm.

Candles, and oil lamps can really make a "huge" temperature increase in my home; I have a large home too. Don't turn a blind eye to these two things as a possible temporary heating source. Stock up on these items…I always keep a great supply on hand…don’t forget to have wicks for you lamps as well as lamp oil.

I hope this is helpful

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I have 3 Valor 64c Paraffin stoves, A bit smelly if you use them indoors but they keep you warm and can make many cups of tea on a single fill.

You can buy old 60's Valor Paraffin heaters on Ebay for not much money, Or Alladin heaters.
I leave my stoves full all the time and they're ready for use anytime i need them, If there is a shelf life on Paraffin its a long time!

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Heat source: (with power) oil... ouch... None the less I have one resource that is beyond abundant: a hybrid tree that grows like a weed in my state (New Mexico) and all I need is an axe. As far as the eye can see where I live you have hybrid trees, not good, none the less= HEAT! Chop them down (like the locals do) and burn them! If you do not have matches: use a knife to make SMALL pieces of kindling that is paper thin and then rub two pieces of wood together VERY fast and try and cause enough friction to start a fire. Wood must be dry. Where I live though, that is a rare problem.

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 12:49 AM
link   
My heat goes out when its 30 below, so i turn on the oven, put in on 450,

Turn my dryer on (Its in my kitchen)....

Get a great big pan and fill it with water and let it boil (careful...keep adding water)

Section off an area of the house near the kitchen so you can at least sleep warm and keep an eye on the stove and oven.

Of course, if the electricity is out...Its time to call a relative or friend and pay them an overnite visit.

Good luck.

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 01:10 AM
link   
I don't know if your talking about with or without electric in your home. I know one year it got so cold and there wasn't enough heat so we went to walmart and lowes and bought a couple little electric heaters for like $20.00 dollars they worked well in heating up a room. They don't get hot to the touch so kids won't get burned on them and they shut off if tipped over. If you get the right kind. Hope this helps.

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 04:29 AM
link   
While ice fishing we used to use a coffee can with a roll of toilet paper in it. Just pour half a bottle of alcohol on it and light it. It will burn for hours. The only smell happens when the alcohol gets low and the paper starts burning.

apc

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
My heat goes out when its 30 below, so i turn on the oven, put in on 450,

Turn my dryer on (Its in my kitchen)....

Get a great big pan and fill it with water and let it boil (careful...keep adding water)

Yeesh! You could curl up next to your power meter with all that cus that sucker will be smokin!

If any camping stoves come into the mix, make sure they're dual fuel. Gasoline should be very easy to acquire in the early days of a survival situation.

top topics

join