It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two questions Regarding Breaking News Format

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 04:33 AM
link   
I have a question regarding thread titles. Is it permissible to use the exact same title for a thread as the original news article had?

Also, regarding the new Breaking News format, might I suggest a slightly larger character count for the snippet than the current 500 char's? It always seems that the meat is in the third paragraph. I know there are ways to get around it (edit), but I just thought I'd sugest something like 1K char's.

[edit on 5-3-2007 by jsobecky]

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 07:58 AM
link   
I am far from any authority on that forum but I'll try to chime in.

Originally posted by jsobecky
I have a question regarding thread titles. Is it permissible to use the exact same title for a thread as the original news article had?

To be honest I thought that is what we are supposed to use. The submit story page asks for the "Article Headline." By that I was under the assumption that it is referring to the source article and not a created "Thread title."

Also, regarding the new Breaking News format, might I suggest a slightly larger character count for the snippet than the current 500 char's? It always seems that the meat is in the third paragraph. I know there are ways to get around it (edit), but I just thought I'd sugest something like 1K char's.

[edit on 5-3-2007 by jsobecky]

I believe the character limit is set to prevent legal issues. You don;t have to use the first 500 characters from the source article. If the important information is in the third paragraph copy the first and third paragraph with "..." between them.

I hope I've been of some help.

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 08:11 AM
link   
One item I would like to add to this is that I wonder what happened to the "requirement" that people post a bit on the subject themselves? Was it taken out to get rid of any biased slant on the topic? It just seems like since noone has to post any opinion on the news bit, that people are in "a big race" to get the news articles posted into breaking news first before someone else does. Probably in some kind of "Gotta get more points!" mindset.
So you end up with the same subject being spammed into breaking news over and over because noone is taking time to see if their subject is already posted or not...
"No time to search for previous subject. Just get it on ATS quick. The mods will take care of it later if need be, and I will get some points and another notch in the "contributions" count in the meantime".

I think some people just go to BBC, see if there is any brand new headlines at all that are of any significance, then come straight here to post it as breaking news for those points and contribution counts. They don't care about the subject or want to post anything about the subject, just get the new subject posted and let the points rack up...

Sorry for the negativity, but does anyone else ever get that impression from some of the "contributors" here since this new breaking news format has come into play? As well, with this new format, the quality of the "breaking news" items being posted is not as good as it was before also due to this hurry up and post a breaking news mindset.
"Doesn't matter what the breaking news is, it's breaking news! Get it posted quick!".

Is it just me, or is this happening?

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Hi IronDogg,

I believe your concerns have been addressed on these other threads.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Hope that helps

[edit on 5/3/2007 by Umbrax]

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Umbrax
I am far from any authority on that forum but I'll try to chime in.

Originally posted by jsobecky

To be honest I thought that is what we are supposed to use. The submit story page asks for the "Article Headline." By that I was under the assumption that it is referring to the source article and not a created "Thread title."

Thanks for the response. This is what I found under the Submit News button, but it doesn't really answer the question:

Headline: Please provide a descriptive headline that is accurate and reflects the article you're submitting. Submissions with inaccurate, biased or otherwise deceptive headlines may be removed.

It would be so much easier if we could just submit the original headline, but I remember reading something that prohibits that. That was a while back, though.

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Ah, here we go. It looks like SO has recently updated that page.

Headline: Please use the original story headline from your source. If the headline is biased or otherwise inapporpriate, provide a descriptive headline that is accurate and reflects the article you're submitting. Submissions with inaccurate, biased or otherwise deceptive headlines may be removed.

[edit on 5/3/2007 by Umbrax]

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Great. Question answered, problem solved.

Thanks for your help, Umbrax.

join