It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FLAGS : may i please have a chainsaw ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 04:17 AM
link   
yup , i want the ability to chop flags down

currently - ANYONE can raise a flag over a thread - with no redress or means of reply / rebbuttal

i do not mean to be rude , but

maybe i am missing something vital , but ?

as it stands - a threads " flag total " can only inexorably rise

there should be a mechanic to remove a flag in the same way as

why is a members opinion that " this thread is important " recognised - i want to be able to publically vote " move along , nothing to see "

actually i really want to vote " utter twaddle "

but being realistic - i will settle for a simple deflagging button

this is NOT about debunking , it is an avenue for opinion - " 9/11 truthers " should have the option to deflag threads addressing the govt explaination of events - labelling them " govt spin "

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 04:25 AM
link   
Persoally I don't really think that would work out too well either.

I would be thinking more along the lines of having two choices.

Yes or No.

Voting yes would add "1" to the score for that thread.

Voting no would obviously subtract "1" from the score.

The total number would be a score for the thread.

If it stayed at zero, make the flag color be yellow,

if the score was greater than zero make the flag green,

and less than zero make the flag red.

my 2 cents

[edit on 3/5/2007 by Mechanic 32]

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 04:31 AM
link   
I think that would result in 'flag wars'.

If you don't want a thread flagged just don't click the button.

sanc

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I have to agree on this one. It would be all to easy to start flag wars if we could "subtract" flags. Sure, someone is going to flag a thread that I think is hogwash, but I don't have to add to the flag count myself.

In the end it is a situation of majority rule - seems fair to me - and good for ATS.

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 01:04 PM
link   
The flag system should stay how it is. But when will we be able to see threads listed according to the flags, or can we do that now and I'm just an ass?

And wellwhatnow, that avatar rules.

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 01:05 PM
link   

never mind...

[edit on 3/5/2007 by Gools]

[edit on 3/5/2007 by Gools]

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
as it stands - a threads " flag total " can only inexorably rise

I think this is an excellent point. Not sure what can realistically be done about it, but at some point the number of flags on a particular thread could be a function of its age as much as its value, couldn't it?

Or, given the number of participating members, does that possibility get offset by the sheer numbers flagging, or not flagging, a particular thread?

I'd be curious to know if there are any metrics available for the unique number of members actually flagging. That is, how many members in total are actually flagging, irrespective of the number of posts flagged? The higher the number of unique participants, the more valid the system, in general. Maybe.

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_apethis is NOT about debunking , it is an avenue for opinion - " 9/11 truthers " should have the option to deflag threads addressing the govt explaination of events - labelling them " govt spin "

Why would a group who is against censorship want to censor? I'm confused.

If you encounter topics you disagree with, but are highly-flagged, the response is beautifully poetic --> just compose an excellent rebuttal post. This way, the highly-flagged (potentially more popular) thread will introduce readers to your counter-points... thereby receiving more attention than if they were in another, lower-flagged, thread.

See... simple.

Flag away.

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 02:48 PM
link   
But S.O. what about old threads that got a high amount of flags say a month ago. Its no longer a hot topic but it's got the most flags. What do we do?

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 02:54 PM
link   
How would having the ability to take flags away result in flag wars? If a member can only vote either yes or no once only, then a 'war' can hardly develop between rival members, because each can only post once.

new topics

top topics

join