It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This Video Makes You Hallucinate

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 02:20 AM
link   
I thought it was a load of rubbish or one of those videos where something pops up at the end to scare you, but no, it really does change your visual for a bit.

Stare at the middle, as long as you can, the more, the more effect reached.
Obviously it has an optical effect illusion when watching it, but when you turn away, things get weird, changing size etc.
Its not scary, well at least for me, and doesn't last very long, give it a go.

My question is how does it have this effect, not the optical illusion, but the after effect of watching it.

Video.

[edit on 5-3-2007 by Denied]

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Very cool experiment.

I guess I thought like you and figured this wouldn't work, but it really did. After the video things did radiate and move much like the video. It reminds me of the optical illusion where you stare at the object for so long and then look at a white paper and see the image there. Almost like the image (in this case video) is burned into your eyes.

Thanks for posting.

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Hey that's cool! Wish the visual lasted a bit longer tho! Reminds of stuff morphing and stuff, nice

PEACE,
- Naz

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 07:27 AM
link   
That was crazy, I still got the effects a good 15 seconds after it told me to look away from the screen.

Intense and very clever!

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 07:33 AM
link   
That was neat. Though it's not hallucinating. It's more like being really drunk.

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Why does it have this effect?

Just did it a second time, better when viewed full screen.
Its crazy, things get larger and change shape, all be it, for only a few seconds.

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 08:01 AM
link   
It's a simple type of illusion. When you stare too look at something, your brain puts your eyes in a "Standby" mode. They don't actually take anything new in, your brain just replays the same image over and over.

Think of it as your brain's equivilent of a "Screen Saver". As soon as you move your eyes or blink, it dissappears again.

Tim

[edit on 3/5/2007 by Ghost01]

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Ghost01

That makes perfect sense. I know, if I look at a really bright light by accident, I'll see that light where ever I look, and in the same position in my eye...and it fades slowly. Weird.

Posted by Denied:

Its crazy, things get larger and change shape, all be it, for only a few seconds.

I don't get this effect. I just get the moving diamond patterns overlapping and distorting the objects I view after I look away from the screen.
But nothing changes shape or size, just distorts in the diamond pattern.

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 08:20 AM
link   
I won't attempt to give a perfect answer, it's quite a few years since I studied visual perception, but it will be due to the motion sensitve cells of the medial temporal lobe and V5 (I think).

The effect is due to neural adaptation whereby the motion sensitive cells reduce their firing rates due to prolonged activity. When the imposing stimuli stops, the reduced firing causes an after-effect that simulates movement (i.e. the neural adaptation takes time to reach normal rates of firing). Normally the neurons coding for different directions of movement are balanced, the neural adaptation alters this balance.

The 'waterfall effect' is a more simplistic example of motion-induced neural adaptation.

ABE: here's a simple motion-induced after-effect.

dogfeathers.com...

[edit on 5-3-2007 by melatonin]

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 08:29 AM
link   
As stated above, it merely deals with your brain replaying certain images. Also as stated above, it deals with rods and cones misfirig in your brain. It is almost identical to the "Jesus" image, you know the image you look at and then close your eyes and you see "Jesus". Your rods and cones turn off for a bit due to an abundance of stimulation. It's pretty cool though!!

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Thanks melatonin and Ghost.

Found another weird one, run your finger across this flashing bar, with about a 3 second distance between each swipe.
Soon it feels like your finger is also directing the parallel lines in time with your finger.

Now take away your finger and for a few swipes, you can change the direction with out your fingers.

The image above should (hopefully) flicker wildly. Now move your finger along it from left to right, with a speed such that you travel the distance in about 3 seconds, while following the finger with your gaze. When you hit the right speed, you should perceive a smooth rightwards motion of the stripes. Now move your finger back. If you follow it again with your eyes, you will see smooth leftwards motion of the stripes! After a little practice, you can voluntarily switch movement direction without your finger as a guiding target.

And is explained here.

The stimulus is just a rapid phase reversal (at 30 rev/s) of a bar pattern. The occasional jerks are due to aliasing of the reversal frequency by the raster frequency of your display and would not occur if I could synchronize to your screen build-up.

See link for image.

[edit on 5-3-2007 by Denied]

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Denied
Found another weird one, run your finger across this flashing bar, with about a 3 second distance between each swipe.
Soon it feels like your finger is also directing the parallel lines in time with your finger.

Now take away your finger and for a few swipes, you can change the direction with out your fingers.

I used to do that w/ my fan! Well, I didn't use my hands, but I stared at my fan while laying in bed, and eventually, I was able to follow one of the blades go round-n-round. I wonder when we'll eventually evolve quicker eyesight, and see maybe 80-100 frames a sec, rather than the standard 20-30.

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arcane Demesne

Originally posted by Denied

I used to do that w/ my fan! Well, I didn't use my hands, but I stared at my fan while laying in bed, and eventually, I was able to follow one of the blades go round-n-round. I wonder when we'll eventually evolve quicker eyesight, and see maybe 80-100 frames a sec, rather than the standard 20-30.

I do that too! It's so crazy. It's like I slowed down the speed of the blades by just staring at one individually.

Nice optical illusions. I have to admit, I was really scared something crazy would pop up and make me have a heart attack.

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 12:17 PM
link   
That I didn't have any weird effects afterwards?

I did see what looked like something sinking down during the video.

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 12:35 PM
link   
odd, i think it really messed with me cuz of all the pain meds im on.

but heres an interesting experiemnt you can try.

find the old "3d maze" that MS used to ship as a screensaver...go edit the patter on the maze and select "houndstooth" as the pattern for the floor walls and ceiling. ive almost had people vomit from watching that for a few seconds lol.

im easily amused, leave me alone

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Cool effects..reminds me of that Dali painting with the melting clocks in the desert.(persistance of time) cool

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 01:14 PM
link   
THAT was cool......

i messed around a bit....looped it....and just kept my eyes glued to the screen for up to 2 and a half minutes....

i noticed two things......

#1....the visuals lasted a bit longer...

#2....the visuals were more........pronounced.

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Very cool effect! I looked at it twice in a row and that made the effect last a little longer than just a once through.

Now how do we put a subliminal message into it and use it for our own diabolical purposes?

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I hallucinated

and then I slaughtered the neighbors

very cool stuff.

posted on Mar, 5 2007 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Great find!

I think I am going to sit here and do the visual warp thing for the next 3 hours until work lets out.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join